Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Nov 6th 2018, 10:18 pm
  #31  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

The only things long term that have been consistent as to what I like are:

Like to ride on trains. Before I left San Diego, trolley operator was a job I was looking into.

I like aquariums as in public aquariums but have no interest in retail level pet stores.

I like to fly and travel but dislike driving vehicles on long distances via road.

That is about all I like.

If I had the education to be an aquarist, it would certainly be a job with enjoyment I would imagine.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 6th 2018 at 10:21 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2018, 11:28 pm
  #32  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 3,819
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The only things long term that have been consistent as to what I like are:

Like to ride on trains. Before I left San Diego, trolley operator was a job I was looking into.

I like aquariums as in public aquariums but have no interest in retail level pet stores.

I like to fly and travel but dislike driving vehicles on long distances via road.

That is about all I like.

If I had the education to be an aquarist, it would certainly be a job with enjoyment I would imagine.
Where do you live? How about a job working nights cleaning the Vancouver aquarium just to get your foot in the door?
Danny B is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2018, 11:42 pm
  #33  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Where do you live? How about a job working nights cleaning the Vancouver aquarium just to get your foot in the door?

Vancouver. Ive applied there many times. Lol

I still wouldnt have the education for an animal care position however.

I do apply there though for other jobs, just havent been successful in getting an interview.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 6th 2018 at 11:45 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2018, 9:14 pm
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Ahhh, are you only looking at typically male oriented trades? Are you open to the possibility of other types of employment that are not physical but require you to use your mind, dexterity and thought processing? It doesn't have to be managerial as there are so many other types of office employment out there that are computer usage oriented, word processing for instance. I worked with so many men who were word processors. Law offices normally have a word processing department which takes up the overflow from the legal assistants who are swamped with legal documents that need inputting, edited and reprinted. It is a well paying field. If you know a computer keyboard (which you do) and continue to practice our speed increases. Learn the ins and outs of using Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint. These are all programs used in most offices. This is only an example of one other possibility. Do you have a pleasant personality, are somewhat outgoing and presentable in appearance? Look into reception work or front desk work at major hotels. The presence of a male behind the front desk is a plus for hotels as it lends a sense of class and security to the establishment. Benefits are good with major corporations. Don't limit yourself but think outside the box. Not everyone needs to use brawn to make a living. Using your mind is preferable for a healthier life.

My personality is introverted and non social. Its one reason I dont excel in customer service work. I really dont know how to interact with peoole.

My appearanc is fine. I dress up and clean shave when needed to a professional look.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 7th 2018 at 9:17 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:04 am
  #35  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 28,884
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
My appearanc is fine. I dress up and clean shave when needed to a professional look.
I may have suggested this before.
A hitman? Bats may have some tips. Could you develop some sort of poison derived from fish that would be untraceable?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:26 am
  #36  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Too bad housing in San Diego is high.

https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/pu...301&d=External
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 2:51 am
  #37  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,785
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

How about getting on a construction crew as a lollipop man? The amount of road works with traffic control we've seen in the last 5 days in Vancouver is unbelievable. The work is outside so fresh air, not much interaction with others and the pay is ok.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 9:46 am
  #38  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,385
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

JS the painter idea sounded really good, even as a sideline. Even if you 'can't paint' it's something you could learn. Does it not appeal to you?
Shard is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 5:57 pm
  #39  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
JS the painter idea sounded really good, even as a sideline. Even if you 'can't paint' it's something you could learn. Does it not appeal to you?
I am thinking about it. Just depends if I can find a place paying at least 22/hr and does work within transit range. I dont have the ability to drive around via car to the burbs at the moment.

I havent a clue how to paint properly so cant just go out on my own, also lack any resources to do so, but again I dont know how to paint at a professional level.


The real root of the problem is lack of affordable places to live, even middle of nowhere BC has high rent vs income potential
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 6:38 pm
  #40  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 16,809
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

I've heard it all now - Certification for being a painter and decorator is Mandatory in Quebec and voluntary in other Provinces.
What a joke.. only in Canada! Painter and Decorator | Careers in Construction.

If I had a head for heights and I was younger I might consider crane operator - I know someone who has worked in this trade for many years - he travels all over Canada working ( a lot of the time in remote locations ) during the summer and fall, then travels worldwide during the winter! He makes good money.. he started in his 40's and at 69 is still working at it. He says he likes it as once he's in his 'box' the only communication he has to have with other people is via a radio for directions - mainly he works alone. You can get on the job training and then apply for certification, apparently.. now can I turn the clock back? https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...pation/7891/ca

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 8th 2018 at 6:48 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 6:43 pm
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I've heard it all now - Certification for being a painter and decorator is Mandatory in Quebec and voluntary in other Provinces.
What a joke.. only in Canada! Painter and Decorator Careers in Construction.

If I had a head for heights and I was younger I might consider crane operator - I know someone who has worked in this trade for many years - he travels all over Canada working during the summer and fall, then travels worldwide during the winter! He makes amazing money.. he started in his 40's and at 69 is still working at it.

Take a look at some of the janitor job postings some companies want all sorts of certificates.

I would be too anxious for crane operator. Not a fan of heights. I am fine in airplanes but even looking out the windows from a highrise, I start to get anxious.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 8th 2018 at 6:49 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:04 pm
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,883
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

It's interesting to read this ...................

my daughter is 44, and when she was in high school looking at career options around 1988-92, students were all being told "you will not have only one career like your parents. You will have to be prepared to change careers at least once and possibly 2 or 3 times. So take the chance to explore several different possibilities.". They were advised to keep their course options as open as they could at school and at university or college so they would be prepared to some extent to re-train for their second or third or fourth career in future years.

That was here in Vancouver ............. and the media of the time was full of the same advice.

Did any of you who have children in their 30s or 40s ever hear this advice?

As it happens, my daughter changed career choice in her first year of Masters degree in her first choice, finished the degree, and then went to another university for another 4 years to train for the new choice. Luckily we didn't have to pay too much for that as she was married, although we helped with the cost of books.

Since then, she's looked at 2 or 3 other possible changes over the years, but decided to stick with the option.

Several of the people she knew at school and at the 2 universities have followed the same trajectory .......... some are already on their 3rd careers.

I had 2 careers in my life .............. teacher and the research technician ...... but both used the education and training I got at university, including know how to research topics (in a library then, online now)

But, even though I worked for over 30 years with the title of Research Technician, I had 3 very different jobs during those years. Approximately every 10 years I was moved to a different area, and had to learn different things. I went from being a laboratory technician to being a librarian and editor, and finally to combining editing with being in charge of a system accessing all materials bought or collected by other people in the company, using a very complex system that I helped to develop.

I stayed because I really liked the people and place I worked, and I enjoyed each new challenge of learning or developing new systems.

I guess those of us who fairly quickly found work that they loved, and were able to stay employed in those areas, were really lucky ......... I would have been very unhappy teaching but not sure what else I would have done had we stayed in the UK.
scilly is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:05 pm
  #43  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,883
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Jsmith .......... you can drive?

I saw big ads last week for Canada Post delivering parcels

Would that be interesting?
scilly is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:38 pm
  #44  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
Jsmith .......... you can drive?

I saw big ads last week for Canada Post delivering parcels

Would that be interesting?

I have applied. No interview but I did apply.

Applied to them a variety of times over the years same with BC liquor stores (gov't ones that pay decently.)
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:52 pm
  #45  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,673
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
It's interesting to read this ...................

my daughter is 44, and when she was in high school looking at career options around 1988-92, students were all being told "you will not have only one career like your parents. You will have to be prepared to change careers at least once and possibly 2 or 3 times. So take the chance to explore several different possibilities.". They were advised to keep their course options as open as they could at school and at university or college so they would be prepared to some extent to re-train for their second or third or fourth career in future years.

That was here in Vancouver ............. and the media of the time was full of the same advice.

Did any of you who have children in their 30s or 40s ever hear this advice?

As it happens, my daughter changed career choice in her first year of Masters degree in her first choice, finished the degree, and then went to another university for another 4 years to train for the new choice. Luckily we didn't have to pay too much for that as she was married, although we helped with the cost of books.

Since then, she's looked at 2 or 3 other possible changes over the years, but decided to stick with the option.

Several of the people she knew at school and at the 2 universities have followed the same trajectory .......... some are already on their 3rd careers.

I had 2 careers in my life .............. teacher and the research technician ...... but both used the education and training I got at university, including know how to research topics (in a library then, online now)

But, even though I worked for over 30 years with the title of Research Technician, I had 3 very different jobs during those years. Approximately every 10 years I was moved to a different area, and had to learn different things. I went from being a laboratory technician to being a librarian and editor, and finally to combining editing with being in charge of a system accessing all materials bought or collected by other people in the company, using a very complex system that I helped to develop.

I stayed because I really liked the people and place I worked, and I enjoyed each new challenge of learning or developing new systems.

I guess those of us who fairly quickly found work that they loved, and were able to stay employed in those areas, were really lucky ......... I would have been very unhappy teaching but not sure what else I would have done had we stayed in the UK.

I graduated high school in 1997, but wasn't smart enough for college prep classes and wasn't in the university bound stream of students, I barely got out of high school. Can't say what they told the university stream students, my group we were just told to get jobs, without any real guidance.

My mom only had 1 career she was a paramedic for 20 years but then had cancer and wasn't able to return to that line of work, since then she just does random jobs mostly taking care of seniors in their homes.

My dad worked for the local school district for 38 years, started in 1978 as janitor, the delivery driver, then warehouse supervisors and finally warehouse manager which he did for the last 15 years.
Jsmth321 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.