Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:55 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Js, how about running for US president? You have a couple of years +/- to bone up on stuff, and I am convinced that you would do a hell of a lot better job than the current incumbent.

Just a thought...
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Js, how about running for US president? You have a couple of years +/- to bone up on stuff, and I am convinced that you would do a hell of a lot better job than the current incumbent.

Just a thought...
Lol....just need a hundred or so million to run. Ha ha
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about something with a much lower barrier to entry, cost-wise - like a painter and decorator. There must be no shortage of cash-rich/time-poor people in Vancouver who'd drop a couple of grand to get their apartment painted, especially if you can start like tomorrow!
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I did work for a painter once for about a week. He wasnt too impressed with my painting abilities. Lol
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I did work for a painter once for about a week. He wasnt too impressed with my painting abilities. Lol
A week ?

Painting & wallpapering is a trade skill that takes time to learn well.
It could well suit you for several reasons

Plumbing is not a goer IMO as it is hard arduous work and to be fully qualified entails a lot of book-work alongside the hands on work + continual upskilling.
It is also what has stuffed husband's back and knees.

We all seem to be clogging this here Random thread which is for random posts from everyone, so perhaps we should move our convo over to a place of its own.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
A week ?

Painting & wallpapering is a trade skill that takes time to learn well.
It could well suit you for several reasons

Plumbing is not a goer IMO as it is hard arduous work and to be fully qualified entails a lot of book-work alongside the hands on work + continual upskilling.
It is also what has stuffed husband's back and knees.

We all seem to be clogging this here Random thread which is for random posts from everyone, so perhaps we should move our convo over to a place of its own.

I dont think those looking for unskilled paiting helpers are looking to train. They just want people who can do the basics.

No idea how one become a skilled painter, seems hard from my perapective.

Trades seem best to start learning when young and master vs starting at 40.

Not worth opening another topic so will stop replying after this.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 5th 2018 at 10:22 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 5:04 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth opening another topic so will stop replying after this.
That's the BPD gremlin whispering in your earhole. Tell it to bog off. Or if it is digging its claws into your shoulder right now, shout loud my way & I will do my best to help get it the heck out of your way.

This is a perfectly good sound topic for everyone to explore and discuss which is the main reason why I have moved these posts.

J is not the only one out there wondering what to do best to earn a reasonable wage & survive + make plans. This is not random is it. It is a very real dilemma we can all face.

What do we do when we need or wish to alter a lifestyle or change employment but really do not know what to do for the best . That can give us a bit of a head boil as most all of us need income to live.

Whatever J . Do not do plumbing. It is an arduous and physical trade . There is a lot of academic study that goes hand in hand with being on the tools.
Me and him are currently trying to figure out what husband can do that is not plumbing/gasfitting.

Like you , he is not at all dim. Far from it. He is eloquent with language. Like all of us he has strengths and weaknesses. He lacks confidence - the severe dyslexia - & is really quite shy in his own way. Note: He is not writing this so I am mindful of his privacy.
He really could do with a change in what he does for work as his knees and back are stuffed .

I'm in favour of the painting idea for you in a way. I know a Thai lady that had little to no language really who after a year of being a painters 'mate' is now able to paint to standard and so can be independent at earning her own living.

As I write this , my mind goes back to your own idea J of being a phlebotomist. Husband volunteers at NZ civil defence . Maybe that occupation is something he could do .
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:03 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

This is purely anecdotal, nothing more.

I changed tack completely at age 23, not exactly mid-life I know, but I had left school at 16 and had been working in various bit jobs for 7 years, and had gone some way to ‘building a career’ in my last job. When I quit, I held a good position, but it was very specific, very local, and I was beginning to get itchy feet.

Back in the late ‘70s the UK government still sponsored TOPS retraining schemes – not sure if they still do? – and chewing things over, I decided that if I could get government sponsorship, then I would go for something that would allow me geographical mobility as much as for financial reasons.

I took an aptitude test, passed that, passed the personal interview – “you currently have a very good position for a 23 year-old, are you sure that you want to change?” – and quit my job to undertake an intensive 7 month course in what was referred to in those days as computer programming.

The course was in central London, I wasn’t, so that introduced me to the joys of commuting by rail, after two weeks of which I thought f**k this, if I graduate, I’m moving. The government paid my travel, my rent and just about enough money to live on. The training company won their bonus when each student was placed in employment at the end of the course, so they had a very competent placement department. The course itself was bloody intense, exams every two weeks, if one dropped below 85% twice in a row, one was dismissed.

By the end of the course I was holding two firm job offers, took one and stayed for four years before moving on. The ‘puter job market was great in the early ‘80s in southern UK, my second job brought with it some travel – this what I was after. Four years later I moved again – headhunted by an ex-manager – and despite joining my third company on a six month contract, I ended up staying with them (in various guises, outsourcing, insourcing, all that malarky) for 31 years. I advanced up the food chain, dipped my toe in the management pond, decided that was not for me, so ramped up the technical skill set. And I got to travel for business; New York, Toronto, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Geneva…also to London after I moved to Geneva/Frankfurt in the early ‘90s. The rest is history…

I wouldn’t have had that career, nor be where I am now without getting my finger out and ‘going back to school’.

I wouldn’t have met OH either… 😊
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:20 pm
mfh
Just Passing Through

mfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond reputemfh has a reputation beyond repute

This is purely anecdotal, nothing more.

I changed tack completely at age 23, not exactly mid-life I know, but I had left school at 16 and had been working in various bit jobs for 7 years, and had gone some way to ‘building a career’ in my last job. When I quit, I held a good position, but it was very specific, very local, and I was beginning to get itchy feet.

Back in the late ‘70s the UK government still sponsored TOPS retraining schemes – not sure if they still do? – and chewing things over, I decided that if I could get government sponsorship, then I would go for something that would allow me geographical mobility as much as for financial reasons.

I took an aptitude test, passed that, passed the personal interview – “you currently have a very good position for a 23 year-old, are you sure that you want to change?” – and quit my job to undertake an intensive 7 month course in what was referred to in those days as computer programming.

The course was in central London, I wasn’t, so that introduced me to the joys of commuting by rail, after two weeks of which I thought f**k this, if I graduate, I’m moving. The government paid my travel, my rent and just about enough money to live on. The training company won their bonus when each student was placed in employment at the end of the course, so they had a very competent placement department. The course itself was bloody intense, exams every two weeks, if one dropped below 85% twice in a row, one was dismissed.

By the end of the course I was holding two firm job offers, took one and stayed for four years before moving on. The ‘puter job market was great in the early ‘80s in southern UK, my second job brought with it some travel – this what I was after. Four years later I moved again – headhunted by an ex-manager – and despite joining my third company on a six month contract, I ended up staying with them (in various guises, outsourcing, insourcing, all that malarky) for 31 years. I advanced up the food chain, dipped my toe in the management pond, decided that was not for me, so ramped up the technical skill set. And I got to travel for business; New York, Toronto, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Geneva…also to London after I moved to Geneva/Frankfurt in the early ‘90s. The rest is history…

I wouldn’t have had that career, nor be where I am now without getting my finger out and ‘going back to school’.

I wouldn’t have met OH either… 😊
LOL apart from being 10 years older than you were (33), I did exactly the same thing (TOPS Course) in 1978 and had the same objective :-)
TBH I could have written your post word for word
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:29 pm
European

Originally Posted by mfh View Post
LOL apart from being 10 years older than you were (33), I did exactly the same thing (TOPS Course) in 1978 and had the same objective :-)
TBH I could have written your post word for word
Small world
Old Nov 6th 2018, 2:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the late ‘70s the UK government still sponsored TOPS retraining schemes – not sure if they still do? –
TOPS, YOPS, YTS...under the auspices of the Manpower Services Commission.
Those were the days. Mostly genuine with a few employers using it as cheap labour.

Training still funded but an awful lot of training "providers" just after the cash without doing a lot for it.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 2:21 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Given that I chose to exile myself from BE a couple of months ago, I hope this post won't be considered an intrusion, but, lurking idly this morning I came across this interesting & important thread, in particular BB​​​​​'s post which struck a chord.

​​​​​​Started at 17, with just a handful of O levels, in the wholsale timber trade, made redundant 2 years later (first of several redundancies) I took a job on a factory assembly line, no skill required, task took 1 minute, all day, every day! I was then moved onto a line that built "specials" and finally into the auto machine shop where I learnt auto setting. Good money, could have stayed indefinitely but wanted more, partially inspired by the sight of Office staff strolling back from lunch whereas we had to leg it back to avoid a 15 minute pay deduction for just 1 minute's lateness!

Took a position as an estimator with a building supplies manufacturer. Two significant events during my 8 years in that employment. First, in 1983, I was "encouraged" by the Sales Director to take an interest in the PC newly delivered to the Accounts dept, specifically the potential of spreadsheet software and secondly, I was sent (no option given) on a 12 month Management Studies course (one day a week from 1300 - 2100).

Following the recession of the late '80s / early '90s and three more layoffs due to Employer Company failures I ended up with a spell of door to door selling (yuk) but ended up running my own sales team.

By chance, , and now in my mid 40s, looking at the local job centre for potential victims recruits I came across an advert for an assistant with a research & development unit. Took some aptitude tests, passed interview, worked hard (& made a pest of myself seeking learning / advancement opportunities) and ended up 15 years later in a reasonably senior & well paid position, from which I happily retired a little while ago.

So, as BB suggests, any educational opportunity should be seized, be prepared to change roles and retrain, as often as necessary, seek out & pursue opportunities, don't despair!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Canada has some training fund type programs as does BC, when I was unemployed in 2016, I was going to work BC office and going through the motions to try and get funding for training. There is a lot of red tape and requirements one being actively looking for a job while doing all the red tape and accepting a job offer.

I ended up getting a job before I got through the red tape so that ended once employed.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 6th 2018 at 5:23 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:13 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Before I came to Canada I ran an office building, I was the manager - . I hired and fired staff, mentored them, trained them. I negotiated contracts with local and International companies for renting our office space, I wrote scripts for our radio adverts, paper adverts. I found and interviewed tenants, collected the rents, wrote letters, drew up contracts, I did everything pretty much - I was 'de boss'.

I started working in Canada for 2 lovely chaps, as their assistant and business development person.. then QROPS happened.. and I got laid off from my job... weeks after getting a house and a mortgage.

I was desperate for an income - I got EI for a very short period of time and had zero coming in. I applied for every job I could possibly do - over 200 the first year alone, got nowhere. Had one job offer but it turned out to be a bit dodgy as they hadn't dismissed their former manager correctly, so she got her job back!

I went to the Govt. office to help me find employment or to help with retraining - anything. I was told that I was "too old" "had a disability" (I wear hearing aids) "had no recent education" and that "I would be highly unlikely to ever secure another job in Canada".

So forget my 30+ years of experience in the UK and my diplomas and certificates from there.. yup, they meant nothing

Disheartened and more than a little p'd off I researched and found that there was something called BizSmartz - a self employment scheme for the unemployed. I applied.. got on it.. had lessons for several weeks and obtained an Entrepreneur Diploma (yes, a magical piece of Canadian Education Tat that means nothing!) entitling me to go onto the next stage. Then I had to make a business plan and various other similar things and to study and submit reports weekly for nearly 9 months. At the end of it I 'had my own business' - which really didn't help matters too much as I only had 4 clients in the next 18 months and despite applying for everything going, still couldn't get a job anywhere.

However.

During the time when I had no work I had been spending more time here.. and moderating... and discovered/was told I had a bit of a knack for it.. and was invited to apply to a large agency in the UK working in Social Media remotely! 5 years on, I'm still there!

Never give up.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 6th 2018 at 7:16 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 8:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

According to the aptitude tests I took, I lack mechnical abilities and such and would not do well in trades.

I have no strengths in building or fixing things so not sure trades would work either. When I did the aptitude test at BCIT, it wasnt reccomended I try as I scored so poorly.

I am honestly out of ideas at this point. I have tried a lot and never succeed.

I am too stupid for a modern world.
Do something you enjoy and never work a day in your life.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.