Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Old apartment kitchen and living room, more narrow, less space and low ceilings and the old bedroom also small. New place has a nice big open kitchen and living room, as well as a bed room big enough for a king size bed and some bed side tables if you wanted and still have some room, and a big walk in closet vs a small walk in closet, also a large laundry closest in the new place where you can actually store detergent bleach, vacuum, mop dirty laundry hamper, and recycling bins. If anyone was curious about what the old place looked like. The photos are right after I cleaned, we passed the inspection so I guess I cleaned well enough.
What a huge improvement in your living conditions your new place is. Thanks for the photos! Just the difference in the balconies alone is huge, I understand now what you meant when you said the old one wasn't very inviting. Love the plants and 'Charlee fence' on the new one.

ps your old place looks spotless, you did a great job.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
What a huge improvement in your living conditions your new place is. Thanks for the photos! Just the difference in the balconies alone is huge, I understand now what you meant when you said the old one wasn't very inviting. Love the plants and 'Charlee fence' on the new one.

ps your old place looks spotless, you did a great job.
And to think you can buy a similiar unit in that building for the low low price of 640,000-700,000k
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

And to think you can buy a similiar unit in that building for the low low price of 640,000-700,000k
Mama mia!
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to apply for a job, education is a required area to fill in, only problem is they only go back to 2010 for the year, hmmm maybe just click 2010 even though the year I need is 1997.....

It's a required field, as is the date, and the date range given is 2010 to 2030 to select from the drop down menu, I wonder if its an error by whoever designed the form.

I am just going to choose 2010 since it wont let me proceed without a date, and if they can't provide a reasonable date range, I will choose the one closest to the one I need, even if its 13 years off still...ha ha

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 1st 2020 at 10:39 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:38 pm
Concierge

I am trying to apply for a job, education is a required area to fill in, only problem is they only go back to 2010 for the year, hmmm maybe just click 2010 even though the year I need is 1997..... Guess they are aiming for a younger age group ha ha

It's a required field, as is the date, and the date range given is 2010 to 2030 to select from the drop down menu, I wonder if its an error by whoever designed the form.
Ageist buggers! If 2010 is the furthest back date you can click, is there a place somewhere in the application where you can put the correct date with a note?
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Ageist buggers! If 2010 is the furthest back date you can click, is there a place somewhere in the application where you can put the correct date with a note?
The correct date is on the resume which I also had to upload, so not like I am hiding that fact, they just don't provide an adequate date range
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but to be fair some of them will have a view of the Canada Post distribution centre, and those will cost more.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Only downside to the apartment so far is the used ductless air con unit and it seems too small to cool this size apartment. We keep the unit at 78F but it still freezes, (ice build up inside the unit on the interior wall) and then stops cooling. They have sent air con people in but they kind of said, just the way these units are.

Next summer so getting 2 portable units, they will likely work better then this thing...

Other then that learning the quirks of the ductless dryer, everything else seems good so far.

Its one of these kinds of air con units, not sure how one is supposed to cool an entire apartment...lol

We had these in a condo building I worked at, but they had 2 units total, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.

'just the way they are' - sounds like the repair guys are simply unqualified / inexperienced, and don't want to admit it. I've never had these types of units in a residence, but they were often installed in 'server rooms' that I set up. We would run them 24/7 to maintain an interior temp of about 72, with outdoor temps over 100. Freezing of the inside coil suggests numerous problems. Take a look at this - https://nexgenairandheat.com/why-doe...20that%20coil.

"The most common one is that your refrigerant levels are low. "

"Another reason that ice can develop in your air conditioner is because the air is not flowing fast enough through the system and across the coils. This can happen because of a problem with the fan or because there is an actual physical impediment to the air flow. This lack of airflow is most commonly caused by a buildup of dirt between the fins of the coil. Regardless of the reason, the ice will form because without adequate air flow the condenser coils will get too cold."

As a renter, I presume you are somewhat at the mercy of the landlord to send out a technician. If they sent someone out and blew you off, then that puts you in a tough spot. I would take a look at the cleanliness of the fins/coils. First, make sure there's no ice to start with. Then see of the coils look clean (free of dust). If not, clean them. Then run the unit, and try to make an assessment as to whether there is enough air flow through the unit. How long does it take to ice up?

I'd call the landlord again and respectfully request a second look. These units are supposed to be really, really effective.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
'just the way they are' - sounds like the repair guys are simply unqualified / inexperienced, and don't want to admit it. I've never had these types of units in a residence, but they were often installed in 'server rooms' that I set up. We would run them 24/7 to maintain an interior temp of about 72, with outdoor temps over 100. Freezing of the inside coil suggests numerous problems. Take a look at this - https://nexgenairandheat.com/why-doe...20that%20coil.

"The most common one is that your refrigerant levels are low. "

"Another reason that ice can develop in your air conditioner is because the air is not flowing fast enough through the system and across the coils. This can happen because of a problem with the fan or because there is an actual physical impediment to the air flow. This lack of airflow is most commonly caused by a buildup of dirt between the fins of the coil. Regardless of the reason, the ice will form because without adequate air flow the condenser coils will get too cold."

As a renter, I presume you are somewhat at the mercy of the landlord to send out a technician. If they sent someone out and blew you off, then that puts you in a tough spot. I would take a look at the cleanliness of the fins/coils. First, make sure there's no ice to start with. Then see of the coils look clean (free of dust). If not, clean them. Then run the unit, and try to make an assessment as to whether there is enough air flow through the unit. How long does it take to ice up?

I'd call the landlord again and respectfully request a second look. These units are supposed to be really, really effective.
I saw that website in my search ha ha

We are going to bother the management company on Tuesday again. I don't think the person they sent is an expert in cooling systems, seems more maybe a general contractor type but not specializing in cooling systems.

Some days it doesn't ice up at all, other days it does in the evenings mostly.

It's brand new so no dust or dirt that I can see, but its possible it was not installed with proper levels of refrigerant, today its working fine, no sign of ice. I'd get it if we had it set at like 65F and were over working it, but we have it set typically at 77F which we find comfortable inside, so I wouldn't think that temp would create an over working situation.

I was wondering if one is too small to cool the entire apartment, bedroom and bathroom stay warm, and closing those rooms off seems to have it working better, probably should have installed a unit in the bedroom as well to cool.

But today its working well so far, keeping an eye on it and no sign of ice yet.

Its a new building and I accept there will be some things that may act up once in use, no new build is perfect.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 2nd 2020 at 12:40 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 1:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would be running a floor or stand fan from the living area to the bedroom (with the cool air going into the bedroom). Doing this might eliminate the ice buildup. Do you have ceiling fans?
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I would be running a floor or stand fan from the living area to the bedroom (with the cool air going into the bedroom). Doing this might eliminate the ice buildup. Do you have ceiling fans?
We do have a stand fan running. No ceiling fans though, would be nice if they had installed one or 2 though, ceiling fans really do make a difference, never been in rental that had them though.

So far today no ice, but it was a bit cooler outside and some clouds so less direct sun so inside stayed cooler too.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that website in my search ha ha

We are going to bother the management company on Tuesday again. I don't think the person they sent is an expert in cooling systems, seems more maybe a general contractor type but not specializing in cooling systems.

Some days it doesn't ice up at all, other days it does in the evenings mostly.

It's brand new so no dust or dirt that I can see, but its possible it was not installed with proper levels of refrigerant, today its working fine, no sign of ice. I'd get it if we had it set at like 65F and were over working it, but we have it set typically at 77F which we find comfortable inside, so I wouldn't think that temp would create an over working situation.

I was wondering if one is too small to cool the entire apartment, bedroom and bathroom stay warm, and closing those rooms off seems to have it working better, probably should have installed a unit in the bedroom as well to cool.

But today its working well so far, keeping an eye on it and no sign of ice yet.

Its a new building and I accept there will be some things that may act up once in use, no new build is perfect.
Yeah, 77F is not exactly asking for a lot! There's probably an installation issue, but the trick is going to be getting it resolved. Have you met any of your neighbors yet? I'd ask them if they are experiencing any issues. Try and get to listen to / feel their units, see how much air they are pushing out, how noisy it is, etc - that should give you a sense as to whether yours is 'normal' or not.

Where are the outside components located? On the roof or on the ground? And where are you in the building - ground floor, top floor, etc?

It looks like you are having a heatwave up there! It's warmer in Kelowna than in the Bay Area right now! It seems like your normal high is 80 for this time of the year, but today you had a high of 94!

Do you have a large amount of glass, with direct sun? In our new place in CA, we only run the AC very, very infrequently. The interior temp very rarely gets above 80 despite being 90+ outside. But we are south facing and don't get much direct sun through windows in summer.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Yeah, 77F is not exactly asking for a lot! There's probably an installation issue, but the trick is going to be getting it resolved. Have you met any of your neighbors yet? I'd ask them if they are experiencing any issues. Try and get to listen to / feel their units, see how much air they are pushing out, how noisy it is, etc - that should give you a sense as to whether yours is 'normal' or not.

Where are the outside components located? On the roof or on the ground? And where are you in the building - ground floor, top floor, etc?

It looks like you are having a heatwave up there! It's warmer in Kelowna than in the Bay Area right now! It seems like your normal high is 80 for this time of the year, but today you had a high of 94!

Do you have a large amount of glass, with direct sun? In our new place in CA, we only run the AC very, very infrequently. The interior temp very rarely gets above 80 despite being 90+ outside. But we are south facing and don't get much direct sun through windows in summer.

Yes Southern BC has been having a heat wave this week, our patio was just around 100F earlier in the week. Southern interior of BC can get toasty during parts of the summer.

Haven't spoken to any neighbors yet, seen a few in passing, but hard to talk to people since the average person wants nothing to do with their neighbors...ha ha

Looking around the complex several units have portable a/c ducts in their bedroom windows so seems its not just us. I think the bedroom really needs to have a unit as well to really keep the place cool, not sure 1 unit in the living room at the far end is sufficient.... We kept the bedroom door and bathroom door closed today, brought the bed to the living room and no ice up today, I just wonder if its too small a unit for the space its trying to cool?

The unit thinger outside is on the patio, we face south, so get mid morning to mid evening sun, we keep the blinds closed and got some black out curtains for the bedroom to try and block as much sun as possible.

The living room is staying cool and with the fan sitting in the kitchen blowing into the main living area its quite comfortable now.

I guess I can't blame the developer, it seems standard for apartments to just have 1 unit in the living room, another building down the street by a different developer as the in wall (kind hotels often have) type of a/c unit and they too only put it in the living room.

A/C is rare in most apartment buildings in most of BC, so just having a/c is a treat...

In another month we will start noticing cool evenings and before we know it, it will be cold, and the heater will be on..... This unit apparently does heat in winter, but they also put in an electric baseboard in the bedroom.

I suppose if a unit is too small for the area its trying to cool that it could freeze up? Not sure.

I tried to find a brand or model # or BTU but no stickers anywhere that is accessible by me.

Opinions on the various websites I have checked are mixed on if you need an air handler (apparently what the indoor unit is called) in each room, some say yes, other says no, and some say it depends....

From what I can find is a unit this size appears to need something between 12,000 and 18,000 BTU, our unit is 650sq feet and this website lists 500sq feet needing 12,000 BTU and 750sq needing 18,000 BTU so 650 would fall somewhere in the middle of those 2.

I found a model number, its Midea (although if you google the US address on the sticker I found, its Carrier, so I guess Carrier must distribute these in North America maybe?) anyhow on the Midea website they list this unit as 12,000 BTU so according to the Mitsubishi website its likely slightly too small to cool the entire unit which may explain why when the bedroom door is closed, the unit works okay.

Next summer probably just get a small portable unit for the bedroom, seems what several others have done, so its not just us clearly having a hot bedroom....lol

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 2nd 2020 at 4:39 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kind of surprised Interior Health has their own cleaners, in the Lower Mainland they contract these sorts of jobs.

Appears it might be part of a program to increase Aboriginal workforce within the organization, so I wont apply, but I apply for a porter job, I met the minimum requirements for it. $22/hr, not bad pay, although it did say have to um work with dead people sometimes.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry ........ but I have to convert F to celsius

100F = just under 38C

80F is about 26.5C

I've been in Kelowna when it was close to 45C ............. that's around 115F

I think those temperatures used to be reached on only a few days, but like everywhere else ....... it's getting hotter and for a longer time. It's why new houses, condos and often apartments in Vancouver have a/c installed during building.

The problem is, like so many places, the official weather station is at the airport which is several miles outside the town. It's the same in Vancouver ......... the official weather station is at the airport, which is actually in Richmond and at sea level. Downtown is often 4-5C warmer, and parts of Vancouver can be even warmer than that. We live about 10 minutes drive from the airport, and are always 3-4C warmer, summer and winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.