Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Nov 4th 2018, 3:02 pm
  #1  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,123
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I just dont thibk its possible to make a living wage these days unless super skilled and college educated.
Not always true. I mean I'm an old retired fart but I attended a regular high school but also had classes in secretarial skills such as shorthand, typing, bookkeeping, business law and landed a job In 1966 after graduation making more than my father did. By the time I retired in 2016 my base pay was $75K, plus $5k bonus, plus a 3% of salary in profit sharing and that was all without o/t. That included 4 weeks of vacation (28 days), 12 sick/personal days, and 7 public holidays per year. I could carry-over vacation time and was paid at the start of each new year of any unused sick/personal time not used. I got my BS in 1982, tired out a job using that degree and hated it and went back to lowly office work. The decision was the best I could have made for a single mother of two.

Healthcare, be it in Canada or here in the US, sucks for many. I know my stepson and grandson in Nova Scotia don't have it easy with healthcare issues there. There is still the need for some type of private insurance to cover some medical expenses and of course, prescriptions. In NY, my daughter pays over 1,200 a month for a fourth floor walk up which is over a hundred years old. Her husband earns less than 1/2 of what I earned but they are making it month to month. You can only work with what you have and if you want to change things, research fields that you are higher paying and less physically demanding and then do what needs to be done to qualify for it. You work long days and nights but you do have some time available for online computer classes for training. Isn't that all we can do? Sacrifice for the long term advantage?

Last edited by Rete; Nov 4th 2018 at 3:14 pm.
Rete is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 5:10 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,683
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Not always true. I mean I'm an old retired fart but I attended a regular high school but also had classes in secretarial skills such as shorthand, typing, bookkeeping, business law and landed a job In 1966 after graduation making more than my father did. By the time I retired in 2016 my base pay was $75K, plus $5k bonus, plus a 3% of salary in profit sharing and that was all without o/t. That included 4 weeks of vacation (28 days), 12 sick/personal days, and 7 public holidays per year. I could carry-over vacation time and was paid at the start of each new year of any unused sick/personal time not used. I got my BS in 1982, tired out a job using that degree and hated it and went back to lowly office work. The decision was the best I could have made for a single mother of two.

Healthcare, be it in Canada or here in the US, sucks for many. I know my stepson and grandson in Nova Scotia don't have it easy with healthcare issues there. There is still the need for some type of private insurance to cover some medical expenses and of course, prescriptions. In NY, my daughter pays over 1,200 a month for a fourth floor walk up which is over a hundred years old. Her husband earns less than 1/2 of what I earned but they are making it month to month. You can only work with what you have and if you want to change things, research fields that you are higher paying and less physically demanding and then do what needs to be done to qualify for it. You work long days and nights but you do have some time available for online computer classes for training. Isn't that all we can do? Sacrifice for the long term advantage?

My dad was the same. He started working in 1977, and paid well. The job he was doing at the end when he retired paid well. His replacement however is college degree and the employer now requires all management to have a degree.

Times change. Every company I have worked for management is required to have a degree.

Times are changing. Less and less good jobs in general it seems these days.

I know exactly what program I would do if I did well enough with the high school upgrading to be accepted.

Just dont know how to make it work since it would be full time, for 4 years plus practicum on top of the school work. Estimate the program will take up 50 hours a week.

The program like many are only offered full time and on campus.

If I could figure out a way to do it, I already know which program it would be.

As for healthcare for physical side, no real compliants. Doctors treat it and system covers most things. We have extended cover via BC government due to PWD status so just about everything we would need is covered.

Mental health side is lacking. Therapy is not covered and extended health via work even only covers $300/yr which is 1 or 2 visits per year so doesnt come close to making access easier.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 4th 2018 at 5:34 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 6:02 pm
  #3  
Lowering the tone
 
Jingsamichty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 6,127
Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
My dad was the same. He started working in 1977, and paid well. The job he was doing at the end when he retired paid well. His replacement however is college degree and the employer now requires all management to have a degree.

Times change. Every company I have worked for management is required to have a degree.

Times are changing. Less and less good jobs in general it seems these days.

I know exactly what program I would do if I did well enough with the high school upgrading to be accepted.

Just dont know how to make it work since it would be full time, for 4 years plus practicum on top of the school work. Estimate the program will take up 50 hours a week.

The program like many are only offered full time and on campus.

If I could figure out a way to do it, I already know which program it would be.
JS, why are you focusing on "management" positions? You're not a manager, you're not cut out to be a manager, you don't like dealing with people - you know this. Decent reliable tradespeople make very good money, and nobody asks their carpenter or painter or bathroom installer for a degree.

Also, why focus on a college degree when you know that you can't get past the maths requirement? Focus on what you CAN do, don't obsess about what might be if you could do...

You're relatively young (under 40), you know what your strengths and weaknesses are - I really wish you would concentrate on those and not things that will never be. I'd love to have been a footballer but I was shit. So I did something else.
Jingsamichty is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 6:46 pm
  #4  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 28,893
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
...I'd love to have been a footballer but I was shit. So I did something else.
That didn't stop Fellaini
BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 6:55 pm
  #5  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,123
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Secretarial work didn't and still doesn't in large part require a degree. Mine job didn't. While some might think it was a waste of time to obtain my BS, I loved the education I received but hated management and left it for work that was lower status and actually paid me about the same. Yes, now they want associate or bachelor degrees just to answer phones. So bloody stupid.
Rete is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 7:02 pm
  #6  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,405
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Secretarial work didn't and still doesn't in large part require a degree. Mine job didn't. While some might think it was a waste of time to obtain my BS, I loved the education I received but hated management and left it for work that was lower status and actually paid me about the same. Yes, now they want associate or bachelor degrees just to answer phones. So bloody stupid.
The degrees are simply a filtering mechanism. The pool of middle skill jobs is shrinking, and the pool of people is expanding, so artificially stringent criteria is set.
Shard is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 10:45 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,683
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
JS, why are you focusing on "management" positions? You're not a manager, you're not cut out to be a manager, you don't like dealing with people - you know this. Decent reliable tradespeople make very good money, and nobody asks their carpenter or painter or bathroom installer for a degree.

Also, why focus on a college degree when you know that you can't get past the maths requirement? Focus on what you CAN do, don't obsess about what might be if you could do...

You're relatively young (under 40), you know what your strengths and weaknesses are - I really wish you would concentrate on those and not things that will never be. I'd love to have been a footballer but I was shit. So I did something else.

According to the aptitude tests I took, I lack mechnical abilities and such and would not do well in trades.

I have no strengths in building or fixing things so not sure trades would work either. When I did the aptitude test at BCIT, it wasnt reccomended I try as I scored so poorly.

I am honestly out of ideas at this point. I have tried a lot and never succeed.

I am too stupid for a modern world.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 10:50 pm
  #8  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,196
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
According to the aptitude tests I took -
I cannot remember although you may not have posted as such.
What was listed as possibly suitable.


BTW I am not that much of a fan of such tests. They can defeat more than encourage.
BEVS is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2018, 11:35 pm
  #9  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,405
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
According to the aptitude tests I took, I lack mechnical abilities and such and would not do well in trades.

I have no strengths in building or fixing things so not sure trades would work either. When I did the aptitude test at BCIT, it wasnt reccomended I try as I scored so poorly.

I am honestly out of ideas at this point. I have tried a lot and never succeed.

I am too stupid for a modern world.
Sometimes aptitude tests are wrong. You manage with your acquariums, so that's some physical aptitude. Maybe you can find a way to try some trades at a college or apprenticing and see how you get along. It's not a bad suggestion from Jings.
Shard is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2018, 12:50 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,683
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I cannot remember although you may not have posted as such.
What was listed as possibly suitable.


BTW I am not that much of a fan of such tests. They can defeat more than encourage.
It was a college assesment to get into a program and not career aptitude but a skills one to see if you were suitable for a trade and part of the entry program. Back about 15 years ago, was thinking about aircraft maintenance.

Had to get a suitable score on the assesment as part of the entry requirement.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:18 am
  #11  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,123
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Ahhh, are you only looking at typically male oriented trades? Are you open to the possibility of other types of employment that are not physical but require you to use your mind, dexterity and thought processing? It doesn't have to be managerial as there are so many other types of office employment out there that are computer usage oriented, word processing for instance. I worked with so many men who were word processors. Law offices normally have a word processing department which takes up the overflow from the legal assistants who are swamped with legal documents that need inputting, edited and reprinted. It is a well paying field. If you know a computer keyboard (which you do) and continue to practice our speed increases. Learn the ins and outs of using Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint. These are all programs used in most offices. This is only an example of one other possibility. Do you have a pleasant personality, are somewhat outgoing and presentable in appearance? Look into reception work or front desk work at major hotels. The presence of a male behind the front desk is a plus for hotels as it lends a sense of class and security to the establishment. Benefits are good with major corporations. Don't limit yourself but think outside the box. Not everyone needs to use brawn to make a living. Using your mind is preferable for a healthier life.
Rete is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:40 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,683
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Ill reply more in depth tomorrow as I am fallings alseep at the late hour of 530pm and need to go to bed.

Wanted to say, I spent years working in hotels as a .night auditor. Pay wasnt good and eventually moved on. Highest I ever made in a hotel was 13 or maybe it was 14. Spent many years on graveyard in hotels.

I also did try day front desk but it didnt go too well. Lol

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 5th 2018 at 1:44 am.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2018, 10:04 am
  #13  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,405
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
It was a college assesment to get into a program and not career aptitude but a skills one to see if you were suitable for a trade and part of the entry program. Back about 15 years ago, was thinking about aircraft maintenance.

Had to get a suitable score on the assesment as part of the entry requirement.
Aircraft maintenance sounds very tough and specific. What about something like plumbing or electrical work?
Shard is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:08 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,683
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Aircraft maintenance sounds very tough and specific. What about something like plumbing or electrical work?

I really don't know.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 5th 2018 at 5:22 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:19 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,683
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Seems math cannot be escaped.

https://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/1780cert#entry

I just cant say if I would master a trade. Its just a big unknown.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 5th 2018 at 8:27 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.