Reload this Page >

Changing a work permit

Wikiposts

Changing a work permit

Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:27 am
Seacroft to Vancouver

chrisconvy_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing a work permit

Theoretically, if i had an LMO for 2 years which was tied to one company, could i contact Immigration (if the lmo is already in place) and change it to an open LMO and extend it for an extra year (3 years in country) without too much hassle or....

Does it require making a new application to the Canadian authorities?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated as i may be willing to take up a seasonal job in a tourist snow town if the situation was right.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing a work permit

Why not? I would imagine the G.of C. has the right to cancel/not renew a TWP without explanation.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:50 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Please ignore my last post. My brain was obviously not functioning in sync with my fingers.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:05 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chrisconvy_99
Theoretically, if i had an LMO for 2 years which was tied to one company, could i contact Immigration (if the lmo is already in place) and change it to an open LMO and extend it for an extra year (3 years in country) without too much hassle or....

Any help would be greatfully appreciated as i may be willing to take up a seasonal job in a tourist snow town if the situation was right.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
Chris

the LMO is applied for the company and by you
i have never heard of an open LMO

Now you have me confused
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance

Chris
Chris, I think you're confused! A LMO is not only tied to one company, it's for a specific role within that company. There is no such thing as an 'open LMO'.

Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:06 am
Seacroft to Vancouver

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Chris, I think you're confused! A LMO is not only tied to one company, it's for a specific role within that company. There is no such thing as an 'open LMO'.

ah ok, i have an lmo now, i got it wrong, i meant can i get an open work permit instead?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

ah ok, i have an lmo now, i got it wrong, i meant can i get an open work permit instead?
As I understand it, a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is an approval issued by HRSDC to an employer allowing them to employ a specific individual to do a specific job.

That individual is then able to obtain a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) for the specific job description and duration of the LMO.

They go together and any changes mean another LMO and work permit application.

Open work permits are only issued as secondary permits to spouses of primary work permit holders of those in NOC categories 0, A or B.

I hope this helps to clear it up a bit for you.

Rob.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:06 am
Seacroft to Vancouver

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
As I understand it, a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is an approval issued by HRSDC to an employer allowing them to employ a specific individual to do a specific job.

That individual is then able to obtain a Temporary Work Permit (TWP) for the specific job description and duration of the LMO.

They go together and any changes mean another LMO and work permit application.

Open work permits are only issued as secondary permits to spouses of primary work permit holders of those in NOC categories 0, A or B.

I hope this helps to clear it up a bit for you.

Rob.
ok, what im trying to say is, im already working here and tied to one company, if i should want to leave for any reason and go work in another profession, say in the ski resorts for example, how do i go about changing my work permit for one that is not tied to one company?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

ok, what im trying to say is, im already working here and tied to one company, if i should want to leave for any reason and go work in another profession, say in the ski resorts for example, how do i go about changing my work permit for one that is not tied to one company?
As Rob has already said, there is no such thing as a work permit that is not tied to one company, unless it is a Spousal Open Work Permit as he mentioned or a Bunac working holiday visa (one year in duration for people aged 30 or under only).

If you want to change jobs then you need to do exactly the same as you did before i.e. find a company willing to hire you and to apply for LMO for you, apply for LMO, then get TWP for that specific role once LMO is granted. You can't just get a permit and then apply to whoever you fancy in the ski resorts, it works the other way around and you need to get the job first and then get the TWP which will only be valid for that one job.

Hope that helps clear it up!