Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Croakers 2017

Celebrity Croakers 2017

Old Oct 18th 2017, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Celebrity Croakers 2017

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Mr Norbert Stiles, erstwhile footballist, is my replacement pick. I thought he would be older than 75 - but then I suppose he was still quite a young man when at the height of his fame, only 24 at the time of England's world cup victory.
Maybe this week's England manager should start picking players in their 20's......
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Edited to add: For those who squabbled about BBC not likely to report his death and we should only have BBC has the official death source etc etc etc: Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie has died at 53 - BBC News
I too was impressed at the comprehensive reach of the BBC. It seems they're everywhere.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I ever listened to the Hip, although had a passing awareness of their existence. Can anyone recommend a decent song? Heard a bit of their music on the news story and it sounded fairly bland.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Can't say I ever listened to the Hip, although had a passing awareness of their existence. Can anyone recommend a decent song? Heard a bit of their music on the news story and it sounded fairly bland.
Last night on CBC radio they were doing some sort of tribute and they played his favourite band song. Something with Vienna in the title.

I must admit I didn't feel it even reached bland. It must have had some other meaning for him.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I agree with you. To me they are the Canadian Status Quo or AC/DC...every song sounds the same to me. I must admit I haven't delved into the lyrics much as the sound just doesn't move me. The Ottawa 'modern rock' station has been playing the Hip non stop since his death was announced and the 'classic rock' station has threatened to play them non stop until Monday. Well at least it is a break from wall to wall Supertramp, Eagles,AC/DC, Guess Who, Rush.

I refer to them as the Tragically Tragic. They benefitted a lot from CanCon regulations.

In 1995 my younger brother got married in the UK to a lady from the UK. At that point he had lived in Canada for about 14 years so was a hybrid of Canadian/British. He brought a collection of songs for the wedding DJ to play at the pub where the reception was. Amongst them were some Tragically Hip songs (including the song with the chorus of 'two fifty for a hot dog and a buck and a half for a beer') which were cheered loudly by the Canadian contingent and the british contingent headed for the bar or just sat down.

Pulp, Oasis, Blur songs were quickly re-introduced by the DJ.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
In 1995 my younger brother got married in the UK to a lady from the UK. At that point he had lived in Canada for about 14 years so was a hybrid of Canadian/British. He brought a collection of songs for the wedding DJ to play at the pub where the reception was. Amongst them were some Tragically Hip songs (including the song with the chorus of 'two fifty for a hot dog and a buck and a half for a beer') which were cheered loudly by the Canadian contingent and the british contingent headed for the bar or just sat down.
But this is just a difference in where one grew up. Canadians would be similarly baffled by the British affection for Noddy Holder.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:23 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But this is just a difference in where one grew up. Canadians would be similarly baffled by the British affection for Noddy Holder.
Exactly this, Hip music would be a Canadians life sound track, many songs mentioned parts of Canada, these songs were played at the,Cottage, on the beach, back yard BBQ, college dorms, similar to Floyd or Elton John even

Personally I have been a fan since the first time I heard ahead by a century 8 years ago, and felt very sad yesterday, to Canadians this is their Lady Diana and the death of their Canadian poet Laureate

Last edited by magnumpi; Oct 19th 2017 at 1:58 pm. Reason: Changed something
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well put. Add Pan's People, The Wombles, The Wurzels, The Shadows, to that list.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Well put. Add Pan's People, The Wombles, The Wurzels, The Shadows, to that list.
I note that you have correctly discerned my level of appreciation for the music of the Tragically Hip. Good name though, you have to give them that.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:44 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Personally I have been a fan since the first time I heard ahead by a century 8 years ago, and felt very sad yesterday, to Canadians this is their Lady Diana and the death of their Canadian poet Lariat.
Is that like a Ford Lariat?

I'm a bit bemused about the the national outpouring of grief over Mr Downey but I've never been a fan of the hip. The tunes are OK but his voice grated on me something rotten.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Is that like a Ford Lariat?

I'm a bit bemused about the the national outpouring of grief over Mr Downey but I've never been a fan of the hip. The tunes are OK but his voice grated on me something rotten.
Oops auto correct strikes again

He did struggle to sing well the last year or so but before that I liked his tone and distinctive song voice, plus lots of the songs are easy open chords and great to play at home on guitar.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Exactly this, Hip music would be a Canadians life sound track, many songs mentioned parts of Canada, these songs were played at the,Cottage, on the beach, back yard BBQ, college dorms, similar to Floyd or Elton John even

Personally I have been a fan since the first time I heard ahead by a century 8 years ago, and felt very sad yesterday, to Canadians this is their Lady Diana and the death of their Canadian poet Laureate
I think this is exactly it, to most Canadians the hip is their life soundtrack...and because the lyrics are so interwoven in Canadian culture, there is sense of pride and a strong patriotic fevour which shouts I am Canadian and this is my country I grew up in and passionately love.

I think its the lyrics of the tragically hip songs that do it, not so much the music,I do think the music is bland, nothing stands out, but again to your average Canadian hip fan....this isnt important....because its about the lyrics.

For me personally its the music that always grabs my attention, good lyrics are a bonus.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 10:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think this is exactly it, to most Canadians the hip is their life soundtrack...and because the lyrics are so interwoven in Canadian culture, there is sense of pride and a strong patriotic fevour which shouts I am Canadian and this is my country I grew up in and passionately love.

I think its the lyrics of the tragically hip songs that do it, not so much the music,I do think the music is bland, nothing stands out, but again to your average Canadian hip fan....this isnt important....because its about the lyrics.

For me personally its the music that always grabs my attention, good lyrics are a bonus.
I will admit to agreeing with the last bit. It has been the grounds for my almost life long appreciation of Dylan. But, quite frankly, Tragically Hip were,,, well just tragic, exactly because their lyrics were designed to appeal to Canadians.

If I was forced to chose a Canadian, it would be Leonard Cohen.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I will admit to agreeing with the last bit. It has been the grounds for my almost life long appreciation of Dylan. But, quite frankly, Tragically Hip were,,, well just tragic, exactly because their lyrics were designed to appeal to Canadians.

If I was forced to chose a Canadian, it would be Leonard Cohen.
Exactly... tragically hip...more so the lyrics were purely for Canadians. The music is a sort of nothingness...almost as though it was something knocked up to accompany the lyrics, not being disrespectful to the dead, just the way I feel.

I think my favourite classic Canadian artist is Gordon Lightfoot.....I think he is also very much a Canadian musical icon. and in my opinion his music way better, its easy listening, but meaningful.

Music is subjective though, comparing those two artists is like comparing apples and oranges I suppose.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The Tragically Hip are the love child of CRTC.

If Canada's airwaves were wild and free then these people would never have been so poisoned by such dross.

Gord did do some stuff for the inuit aboriginals though- unlike most of these cradles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.