Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Croakers 2016

Celebrity Croakers 2016

Old Jan 1st 2017, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Celebrity Croakers 2016

It's also appears from what I have read online tonight that the syndicated episodes have been edited and shorter compared to the original run. I suppose there is more advertising now so the shows have to be shorter to fit into the time slot.

Apparently the DVD episodes are closer to the original run episodes but still edited.

Also apparently season 11 has no laugh track or the series finale, so maybe I have seen it without but didn't notice.....

Wayne Rogers is listed as having died on December 31, 2015, so 2 actors from same show, died on the same day 1 year apart.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Other way round for me. It was on BBC2 (BBC's second channel for minority interests) tucked away late on Sunday nights. I caught it by accident at first and was hooked, disbelieving what I was watching for an American TV series.

From wiki: The laugh track is also omitted from some international and syndicated airings of the show; on one occasion during an airing on BBC2, the laugh track was accidentally left on, and viewers expressed their displeasure, an apology from the network for the "technical difficulty" was later released, as during its original run on BBC2 in the UK, it was shown without the laugh track. UK DVD critics speak poorly of the laugh track, stating "canned laughter is intrusive at the best of times, but with a programme like M*A*S*H, it's downright unbearable."

Interesting. 2016 began with the death of 'Trapper' John McIntyre on the first and bows out with Father Mulcahy's death.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 1st 2017 at 3:39 am.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...so the shows have to be shorter to fit into the time slot.
Sacrilege!!
Wayne Rogers is listed as having died on December 31, 2015
Yes, that would make sense. It was a news report on google's results page dated the 1st where I noticed it.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame we have to lose so much of the shows of the past when the air today due to commercials, but even current shows, the commercials have become annoying especially as they have started to do in show ads where they put an ad at the bottom of the screen while the show is on.

Growth of TV Time taken up by Commercials

Can't say how accurate the site is.

It's also appears from what I have read online tonight that the syndicated episodes have been edited and shorter compared to the original run. I suppose there is more advertising now so the shows have to be shorter to fit into the time slot.

Apparently the DVD episodes are closer to the original run episodes but still edited.

Also apparently season 11 has no laugh track or the series finale, so maybe I have seen it without but didn't notice.....

Wayne Rogers is listed as having died on December 31, 2015, so 2 actors from same show, died on the same day 1 year apart.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...in show ads where they put an ad at the bottom of the screen while the show is on...
I hate that. It's mildly irritating if it happens on something like CSI where they show you some 'evidence' or what someone has written and the ad or promotion covers it up so it can't be seen, but it's even worse when something contains subtitles and you can't read them.

What kind of moron is it that decides to do these things?

Imagine if they sold books and at the beginning of each chapter there was a sticker advertising something and it covered half a page, tearing it away if you tried to remove it.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I hate that. It's mildly irritating if it happens on something like CSI where they show you some 'evidence' or what someone has written and the ad or promotion covers it up so it can't be seen, but it's even worse when something contains subtitles and you can't read them.

What kind of moron is it that decides to do these things?

Imagine if they sold books and at the beginning of each chapter there was a sticker advertising something and it covered half a page, tearing it away if you tried to remove it.
I agree. Very annoying and I suppose those making the decisions may not really care, they just want the ad revenue.

News channels like CNN too, I don't even watch those networks anymore, the screen is too busy with all the scrolling news and ads at the bottom and sides even, way too much activity.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:12 pm
Oscar nominated

I agree. Very annoying and I suppose those making the decisions may not really care, they just want the ad revenue.
This is, perhaps a difference between the NA viewer and the British one.

I believe when Satellite TV first got going in the UK, the Channel would display its logo in the top corner. That they stopped doing it I imagine was down to viewer objection - like that accidentally broadcast laughter track on MASH drawing the complaints.

News channels like CNN too, I don't even watch those networks anymore, the screen is too busy with all the scrolling news and ads at the bottom and sides even, way too much activity.
I have a feeling it happens on Sky News in the UK but I never saw live soccer football in the UK with often unrelated scrolling and other activity on screen like here.

Not to mention how much of the screen it covers here as well

Nice thread drift but it's excusable as this the subject of this thread has finished.