British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cargo boat across the Atlantic, Train across Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cargo-boat-across-atlantic-train-across-canada-930207/)

BristolUK Jan 7th 2020 12:02 pm

Cargo boat across the Atlantic, Train across Canada

I didn't want to fly – so I took a cargo ship from Germany to Canada

A slow boat across the Atlantic plus a scenic train home to Vancouver add up to a hugely enjoyable three-week trip
Reminded me of one of Michael Palin's journeys.

Siouxie Jan 7th 2020 6:40 pm

Re: Cargo boat across the Atlantic, Train across Canada

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12786402)
I didn't want to fly – so I took a cargo ship from Germany to Canada

Reminded me of one of Michael Palin's journeys.

Pricey though! £1500 for the cargo ship (£100 a day).

Jingsamichty Jan 7th 2020 6:45 pm

It's a lovely and romantic idea but I'm not sure the carbon statistics are apples-for apples. 1.3 tonnes CO2 for the flight and 5.3kg CO2 for the ship? I rather doubt that.

It seems to be isolating the weight of the passenger from the weight of the cargo... as if they're pretending that the passage didn't use thousands of tonnes of the filthiest fuel on the planet.

Every conversation on this subject is a good one, but let's not pretend that container ships are an eco-friendly way to travel.

BristolUK Jan 7th 2020 8:02 pm

I only posted it for the unusual nature of the first leg and the contrast between the two. :lol:

after a few days I didn’t even mind the food
I was imagining a line of diners holding out trays and waiting for a ladle of something unrecognisable to be dolloped into a bowl. :unsure:

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 7th 2020 8:16 pm

If I had the time and money, I would do such a trip at least once to say I did it, I know it would be fairly boring, but would still be interesting trip.

Jingsamichty Jan 7th 2020 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12786663)
I only posted it for the unusual nature of the first leg and the contrast between the two. :lol:

I was imagining a line of diners holding out trays and waiting for a ladle of something unrecognisable to be dolloped into a bowl. :unsure:

I agree, it would be an extremely memorable way to travel. I'd love to do it, I've read about it before and it's definitely not cheap!

MillieF Jan 13th 2020 10:07 am

I love cargo. I took an Italian cargo ship from Bristol to Ashdod some years ago. It took me ten weeks, as we had a few engine problems and stopped in odd places for repairs. Thank you for posting this it brought back very happy memories. I took my car and Springer Spaniel with me too. They didn’t want me to leave and offered me the job of radio operator - I didn’t want to leave either, but life got in the way.

BristolUK Jan 13th 2020 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12789021)
I love cargo. I took an Italian cargo ship from Bristol to Ashdod some years ago. It took me ten weeks

Was that instead of joining the French Foreign Legion? :lol:

They didn’t want me to leave and offered me the job of radio operator
That's brilliant.

But you can't leave it there, you simply must tell more. :typing: