Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Career coaches/counselors

Career coaches/counselors

Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career coaches/counselors

Sorry, but this is more of the same. Listen to what people are saying to you- you need to change your mindset/attitude.

I don't have a college degree. I don't do well in exams, and i hate studying. I have no professional qualifications. I have a 6 figure salary in a global company with offices around the world.

If you think you can or you cant, you're right.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Sorry, but this is more of the same. Listen to what people are saying to you- you need to change your mindset/attitude.

I don't have a college degree. I don't do well in exams, and i hate studying. I have no professional qualifications. I have a 6 figure salary in a global company with offices around the world.

If you think you can or you cant, you're right.
I used to think I could when I was younger, I was quite optimistic about life and things job wise 15 years ago.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:21 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Enrol part-time then. Take on just one course or maybe two, whatever you can manage. Don't take on a full course load. Explain to the professor that you want to do well but need extra help in order to succeed. Most courses have TAs who are available for extra help. Hire a tutor to help you, even an extra hour a week would make a difference.

The constant defeatist attitude is tiring.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9483179/debbie_downer/

It took me 15 minutes to find this damn video.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Enrol part-time then. Take on just one course or maybe two, whatever you can manage. Don't take on a full course load. Explain to the professor that you want to do well but need extra help in order to succeed. Most courses have TAs who are available for extra help. Hire a tutor to help you, even an extra hour a week would make a difference.

The constant defeatist attitude is tiring.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9483179/debbie_downer/

It took me 15 minutes to find this damn video.
Its not an option for 2 reasons, and I thought about part-time.

1) funding is more difficult to find for part-time

2) the programs I am interested in doing are offered full-time only.

So if the school doesn't offer it part-time how is one to attend part-time?

I'd gladly go part-time if I could get the financial aid to do so, and the school would let me.

I'd rather go part-time honestly, but the school wont offer the programs part-time.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I'd gladly go part-time if I could get the financial aid to do so, and the school would let me.

I'd rather go part-time honestly, but the school wont offer the programs part-time.
No school anywhere offers the program part-time? If you are doing the course online then it doesn't need to be a school that's local. Any school that offers distance or correspondence courses should be able to do it.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:40 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're missing the point...at this point now, in this mental black hole you appear to be in, you are not going to figure out this dream job and how to get it that will solve all your problems.

You have to start with the small things.... Exercise will make you feel better, you might eat better, sleep better. Reducing time with TV/Internet with electronics should help you sleep a little better too. You might actually start to feel better and more confident. Volunteering which could easily fit into unsocial hours might give you some perspective and gain some self worth and confidence. You might make some friends too... And then maybe from one or all of these things you might find that interest which sparks you or someone may suggest something that can help you along in your quest for a job.

I have to agree that the constant I can't do this, I can't do that which appears in most threads whether it's yours or not gets frustrating. People keep suggesting things to you, and get told No, no, no.. I know you don't really want to be here in 10 years time with the same complaints...
Old Jun 25th 2015, 10:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Some thoughts:

Make solutions, not excuses. There are solutions for everyone if you want them badly enough. From personal experience, I am dyslexic, it presented its challenges, but has not stopped me doing what I wanted to do. I could not afford to learn to fly, I got the govt to pay.

I have a child with a mental and physical disability who is on the way to qualify as a bookkeeper and possibly a CA. It is along road, but one step at a time.

Find a mentor - Will make way more difference than a career coach or counsellor.
Set attainable, realistic goals.
Make a decision, go after it, follow though.
Be determined.

Alternatively, accept your lot in life for what it is.
Be grateful for what you have, not what you don't have.
Complaining does not make you happier or wealthier.

Your self image is who you eventually become.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:11 am
Account Closed

No school anywhere offers the program part-time? If you are doing the course online then it doesn't need to be a school that's local. Any school that offers distance or correspondence courses should be able to do it.
The medical lab assistance program is semi-distance learning and semi-part time however there are some non-distance learning portions which create some hurdles.

1) Have to attend 5 days in Kamloops to learn how to draw blood and use the equipment, not a huge hurdle.

2) You have to find a practitcum site which could mean going pretty much anywhere in the lower mainland, depending on what lab locations are accepting students at the time you need them.

That is not my first choice program wise as there seems to be limited jobs in that field, and not sure if there will be a surge in demand, while it's not offered at many public colleges (I think only 1 in Vancouver, and a few elsewhere) its offered by almost all of the private for private over priced as advertised on TV shady colleges who churn out so many students the pool of applicants appears flooded.

The lack of apparent jobs is based on looking at job postings at the various health authorities job postings, none seem to have medical lab assistant openings, and base don the fact the public school has a 2 year wait list, not sure if this program is the most viable for a job.

Now for Psych nurse there are a fair number of job postings around the province and the pay is high enough where casual hours would bring in a decent income still. (most medical jobs appear to be casual with no set number of hours per week.)

There are a total of 3 colleges that offer it in BC, 2 are public colleges and 1 is a private college.

The private college does offer it via distance but its not self paced distance, and its not part-time, I did look into this program, however the cost is quite high, around 30,000 if I remember correctly, it was quite high.

All have the hurdle of math, I was taking a math 10 class via distance over the last 8 months it just ended and I didn't pass, and math is a huge hurdle to get past for pretty much every program out there.

I am going to take math again but this time starting with Math 7 and go from there, I need Math 11 and Math 12 and depending on program either a C+ or B, which is going to be a very long hurdle since I simply do not understand math well.

Thompson Rovers University is the main distance learning school in BC, the rest don't offer a whole lot distance learning wise.

They have a good amount of programs, some can be done fully distance wise, others can't and require some campus time usually in Kamloops where the main campus is, all depends what program it is.

I am just not sure which program would be the best option to end up with a decent job from the get go, that is one reason psych nursing is appealing, the pay is high from the start.

Programs behind spoiler.

It's mind boggling confusing to choose something.

There is also funding, the BC student aid website says you need to be a full-time student with student as your primary occupation for the provincial portion.

Not 100% sure but based on the fact the appeals form for BC student aid includes a section on appealing due to failing the credit screening, not even sure I can get a loan at this point in time, in 2012/2013 I fell behind on my student loans from 2009 and while paid off now in full, the damage to my credit is done, so might not even be able to get funding, won't know until I apply though however, so can't say for sure, just have to keep it in mind in case it's an issue.

Spoiler:
Arts
Advanced Certificate in Liberal Arts
Associate of Arts
Minor in English, History, Psychology and Sociology
Bachelor of Arts, General Program
Bachelor of Arts, General Studies
Bachelor of Arts, Criminology Major
Bachelor of Arts, English Major
Bachelor of Arts, History Major
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology Major
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology Major
Bachelor of Design
Bachelor of Fine Art
Bachelor of Music (Performance)
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Liberal Arts
Business and Management Studies
MBA - Master of Business Administration
MBA Foundation: Graduate Certificate in Business Administration
Certificate in Business Skills
Certificate in Entrepreneurial Skills 1
Certificate in Entrepreneurial Skills 2
Certificate in First Nations Applied Economics
Certificate in First Nations Taxation Administration
Certificate in Management Studies
Diploma in Management Studies
Accounting Technician Diploma
Advanced Certificate in Management
Advanced Diploma in Management
Bachelor of Business in Real Estate
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Public Administration
Bachelor of Technology (Technology Management)
Bachelor of Technology (Trades and Technology Leadership)
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Commerce
Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Commerce
Education
General Studies
Certificate in General Studies
Diploma in General Studies
Bachelor of General Studies
Health and Human Services
Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate
Medical Laboratory Assistant National Certificate
Polysomnography Certificate
Pre-Health Science Certificate
Social Service Worker Certificate
Anesthesia Assistant Post-Diploma
Bachelor of Health Science
Graduate Certificate in Child and Youth Mental Health
Transition Courses: Nursing and Health
Nursing
Health Care Assistant Certificate
Seniors Living Management Certificate
Return to Registered Nurse Practice Certificate
Transition Courses: Nursing
Science
Associate of Science
Bachelor of Science, General
Bachelor of Science, Major
Technology
Certificate in Information Technology
Diploma in Information Technology and Management
Bachelor of Computing Science
Bachelor of Technology
Bachelor of Technology (Technology Management)
Bachelor of Technology (Trades and Technology Leadership)
Water Treatment Technology Program
Tourism
Event Management Certificate
Bachelor of Tourism Management
Old Jun 26th 2015, 2:59 pm
Concierge

You need to get a tutor to help you with math and other subjects where you need help. This doesn't need to be a huge expenditure either, but if you are struggling that much you need extra help in the form of a tutor. Chances are, not being able to get those minimum math credits is going to hold you back regardless of what program you choose, so you need to get yourself some extra help in that area.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

You need to get a tutor to help you with math and other subjects where you need help. This doesn't need to be a huge expenditure either, but if you are struggling that much you need extra help in the form of a tutor. Chances are, not being able to get those minimum math credits is going to hold you back regardless of what program you choose, so you need to get yourself some extra help in that area.
Math has always been the hold back for just about my entire school life, only got out of high school as they waived the math requirement for me, the rest of the subject were hit and miss, mostly C's in the classes where the teachers expected you to learn and they taught, but did get an A in history but then again the teacher didn't teach anything and if you showed up everyday, you got an A, we never actually did learn anything in that class....

Based on the grading system in California, I am a low 70% student with a solid C average, including the 1 college class I actually passed.

Although I did well in one class I took which was skilled based, but while at a college was not an academic college course, it was a skills based class where you learned basic medical first aid, got an A there, was a hard class, but because it was skills based, learning by repetition and doing, I did well.

I did have after school tutoring in math all 4 years of HS, not sure why it didn't help.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:53 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

VCC does a self paced study course for Math 11 so that would solve the working issue, also they do a free assessment before you sign up so you can see where you're at and they will advise what level for you to start at. You might find you're not as bad as you think! I looked into this as need to upgrade my math to continue my degree.

They also mentioned funding options, but I'm not sure what they are or if that would work for you. But might be worth contacting them to find out?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tigger1
VCC does a self paced study course for Math 11 so that would solve the working issue, also they do a free assessment before you sign up so you can see where you're at and they will advise what level for you to start at. You might find you're not as bad as you think! I looked into this as need to upgrade my math to continue my degree.

They also mentioned funding options, but I'm not sure what they are or if that would work for you. But might be worth contacting them to find out?
Yes, I have done the math assessment, it wasn't good. Would need to start at the lowest level offered, but was recommended I do it on campus since the score was so low, so not sure what to do when it comes to math.

I may just try attempt math on campus in North Vancouver at Capilano, its only an hour away (they just don't offer any programs of interest or I'd go there for everything) and I think only meet 2 days a week for 2 hours each day, so not daily and probably doable, just have to look into it more.

I have applied for Capilano adult basic education, the application just can't move forward until they receive my HS transcript which has been difficult to obtain since I went to school in California, and the state doesn't keep records and the school is closed for the summer, I sent in an official request to the district office as well, but so far nothing has been received.

If the district can't obtain a transcript, will have to wait until the school opens in mid August again.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 26th 2015 at 10:11 pm.