Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Career coaches/counselors

Career coaches/counselors

Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Career coaches/counselors

Anyone ever used a career coach or counsellor before for guidance as to what kind of career to go for?

I have really no clue what kind of career to do, and the one's I have some interest in and leaning towards just really are not viable options because I really am not the strongest academic student around, I really try hard in school, I just don't end up in the top 20-30 of applicants which is where I'd need to be for the programs I have the most interest in.

I've found some on google in Vancouver who say they do career guidance, and some look decent enough, the fees are a tad steep, so wary of spending money to see one and just would like to know if anyone has actually used one before to try and guide yourself to a career or at least figure out what you wanted to do.

I am aware the BC government does have workplace guidance centres however these places are limited to the unemployed and under employed and currently I am neither, so I cannot obtain services from them, if I could, I would certainly go.

Ditto with the retraining programs, seems you need to be unemployed and on EI for them.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 12:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career coaches/counselors

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am aware the BC government does have workplace guidance centres....

Ditto with the retraining programs, seems you need to be unemployed and on EI for them.
Not an answer for you, I just wanted to say that my stepson was attending one of these guidance centres a few years ago. It was about as much use to him as a chocolate fireguard.

People knock the resources for such things in the UK but they were successful for those actually interested. At least the government run ones were. The private 'provider' set up just to win contracts but not really "do" anything except line pockets, get titles, do the speech circuit, win consultancies or political appointments, contribute to party coffers and then set up another agency for the next contract when the original is discredited...different kettle of fish.

Not that I'm in any way cynical about it you understand.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go to the government funded ones (not sure if they are any help) but they are only for the unemployed and under employed.

I just have no idea what potential jobs there are that I could do to earn more, we just don't have enough income and frankly I haven't a clue what to do.

Ideally a government job of some sort would be nice, but not likely to happen, I do try, they just don't call. (provincial, municipal and health authority)
Old Jun 24th 2015, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go to the government funded ones (not sure if they are any help) but they are only for the unemployed and under employed.
He went as unemployed. He needed a lot more support than was offered, though, and anything more only seemed to exist to get people off social assistance which he was never due even though without any income at all.

Thinking about it now, there was something introduced last year in this province that gave extra assistance for people with disabilities. But only those with physical disabilities.

I just have no idea what potential jobs there are that I could do to earn more, we just don't have enough income and frankly I haven't a clue what to do.
Go on something like Big Brother, behave badly, show zero talent for anything and then watch the money and offers come rolling in
Ideally a government job of some sort would be nice, but not likely to happen, I do try, they just don't call. (provincial, municipal and health authority)
Tell you what, you recently got married. When you apply for a job or, if there's a part of the process where you get to say something about you, say something about that. I dunno....say it's changed you or something (which is likely true anyway so you don't need to make it up) and that you're now looking for something with more responsibility and a way of having a role in assisting other citizens like government work is supposed to do

Seriously. Okay, my experience was all in the UK but it was government and people with other/new commitments - spouses, family, mortgage etc - were considered more likely to be focused and to stay the course.

Perhaps it's similar here?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 24th 2015 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:58 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody can decide what is best for you but yourself. A career counsellor or life coach may be able to clarify your options, but ultimately it is the implementation which counts. Whether there worth the cost is another issue. It's case by case, but I would have thought in your financial position, that's the last thing you would be spending money on.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

This may or may not help you- I dont know, but I really think you need to look at your mindset. One thing I have noticed when reading your posts is that you are very quick to say why you cannot do something. e.g you dont have enough money, or your health/fitness isnt good enough, or do you dont like it, or there's nothing to do, etc.

There's a famous quote that will always stick with me: "If you think you can or cannot do something, you're right". Or words to that effect. What it means is that people can achieve most things if they put their minds to it. The world is full of success stories who dropped out of school, or were former drug addicts, or had had traumatic upbringings etc. These are not reasons to stop you from doing what you want to do.

Find solutions, not problems.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
He went as unemployed. He needed a lot more support than was offered, though, and anything more only seemed to exist to get people off social assistance which he was never due even though without any income at all.

Thinking about it now, there was something introduced last year in this province that gave extra assistance for people with disabilities. But only those with physical disabilities.

Go on something like Big Brother, behave badly, show zero talent for anything and then watch the money and offers come rolling in

Tell you what, you recently got married. When you apply for a job or, if there's a part of the process where you get to say something about you, say something about that. I dunno....say it's changed you or something (which is likely true anyway so you don't need to make it up) and that you're now looking for something with more responsibility and a way of having a role in assisting other citizens like government work is supposed to do

Seriously. Okay, my experience was all in the UK but it was government and people with other/new commitments - spouses, family, mortgage etc - were considered more likely to be focused and to stay the course.

Perhaps it's similar here?
BC has very little help for those on disability when it comes to getting better more suitable jobs.

They are starting a new program in September that will pay for 1 year of retraining but there is a catch.

It's only available to single parents on disability.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jericho79
This may or may not help you- I dont know, but I really think you need to look at your mindset. One thing I have noticed when reading your posts is that you are very quick to say why you cannot do something. e.g you dont have enough money, or your health/fitness isnt good enough, or do you dont like it, or there's nothing to do, etc.

There's a famous quote that will always stick with me: "If you think you can or cannot do something, you're right". Or words to that effect. What it means is that people can achieve most things if they put their minds to it. The world is full of success stories who dropped out of school, or were former drug addicts, or had had traumatic upbringings etc. These are not reasons to stop you from doing what you want to do.

Find solutions, not problems.

Most of that comes from the schools themselves, when they have assessment exams and other restrictions on programs, and your just not smart enough to get into the programs and get past the restrictions and requirements.

I just do not do well academically, its nothing new, it's been that was since the day I started school, I really struggle in academics and I end up falling so far behind its up being no point of return, or I am kicked out of school on academic probation.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of that comes from the schools themselves, when they have assessment exams and other restrictions on programs, and your just not smart enough to get into the programs and get past the restrictions and requirements.

I just do not do well academically, its nothing new, it's been that was since the day I started school, I really struggle in academics and I end up falling so far behind its up being no point of return, or I am kicked out of school on academic probation.

Lots of people don't do well academically. So what?

Sorry to be blunt. I'm trying to challenge your mindset, because in my opinion, you've already accepted that this is your lot in life.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... My two penny's

You're not happy with your life I get it, most people have been where you are. I've been a shift worker, I've lived in a small rental and spent all my money making ends meet, I've been at the point where I had no friends and family because of an acrimonius religious split and my upbringing. It's really tough I get it..

But you have a lot to be thankful for too. You have a wife and a roof over your head and a job. It might not be what you want but you are a thousand times ahead of some people.

If I was in your position, I would get rid of your TV for a start- save some money, you by your own admission spend a whopping 36 hrs a month watching TV and thats without Internet browsing. It's not going to help you in any way. It just leads to lethargy and dissatisfaction. You could be volunteering- volunteer helplines, helping around the community- making friends because you are never going to make them sat in front of a TV, walking dogs, going to the library- read books that are going to help you, getting some exercise every day which I truly believe is where you need to start first... the benefits to mental health as well as physical are well documented. You might find you don't hate the outdoors as much as you think you do. It is very easy to slip into patterns of behaviour. It will take some effort to break them. I can't remember who said it but there is a quote that says the only way to achieve true happiness is by helping others...

It all sounds airy fairy I know, but I didn't arrive in Canada with no plan as to how I was going to create a life here. I literally said yes to everything, went everywhere I could, started new things I had no particular interest in, talked to everyone, volunteered at the school, I would have volunteered at the hospital too had the little one not come along, and now my friends here say how on earth do you know so many people. I could have sat in front of the TV, not gone anywhere, I doubt I would feel that happy now although I might have at least finished season 4 of the Walking Dead. It's a different situation I know, but like I say I've been at my lowest at different times, and faced some of the difficulties you have too..

Last edited by Tirytory; Jun 25th 2015 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ok... My two penny's

You're not happy with your life I get it, most people have been where you are. I've been a shift worker, I've lived in a small rental and spent all my money making ends meet, I've been at the point where I had no friends and family because of an acrimonius religious split and my upbringing. It's really tough I get it..

But you have a lot to be thankful for too. You have a wife and a roof over your head and a job. It might not be what you want but you are a thousand times ahead of some people.

If I was in your position, I would get rid of your TV for a start- save some money, you by your own admission spend a whopping 36 hrs a month watching TV and thats without Internet browsing. It's not going to help you in any way. It just leads to lethargy and dissatisfaction. You could be volunteering- volunteer helplines, helping around the community- making friends because you are never going to make them sat in front of a TV, walking dogs, going to the library- read books that are going to help you, getting some exercise every day which I truly believe is where you need to start first... the benefits to mental health as well as physical are well documented. You might find you don't hate the outdoors as much as you think you do. It is very easy to slip into patterns of behaviour. It will take some effort to break them. I can't remember who said it but there is a quote that says the only way to achieve true happiness is by helping others...

It all sounds airy fairy I know, but I didn't arrive in Canada with no plan as to how I was going to create a life here. I literally said yes to everything, went everywhere I could, started new things I had no particular interest in, talked to everyone, volunteered at the school, I would have volunteered at the hospital too had the little one not come along, and now my friends here say how on earth do you know so many people. I could have sat in front of the TV, not gone anywhere, I doubt I would feel that happy now although I might have at least finished season 4 of the Walking Dead. It's a different situation I know, but like I say I've been at my lowest at different times, and faced some of the difficulties you have too..

There's a lot of good points in this JS. If you seriously want to turn things around, this is the kind of stuff you need to do. Slowly and incrementally move out of your comfort zone. Change your mindset.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:53 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I agree with Jericho's assessment... JS, a lot of your posts sound very self-defeating, you seem to always see the obstacles instead of the opportunities. There are always reasons why you can't do something, why something won't work, and so on. It does get tiring to try to give advice to help you, knowing that 99% of it will be shot down for one negative reason or another.

Tory's response is bang on. You really need to get out there and break your current lifestyle. Change only comes if you drive it.

Just had the following lyrics from the musical Matilda come to mind:

Just because you find that life's not fair
It doesn't mean that you just have to grin and bear it
If you always take it on the chin and wear it
Nothing will change

Just because I find myself in this story
It doesn't mean that everything is written for me
If I think the ending is fixed already
I might as well be saying
I think that it's okay
And that's not right
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:40 pm
Oscar nominated

But you have a lot to be thankful for too. You have a wife and a roof over your head and a job. It might not be what you want but you are a thousand times ahead of some people. ...a whopping 36 hrs a month watching TV
Aside from not agreeing that what amounts to little more than an hour a day is whopping (years since I heard that word ) I think you, JS, could at least give some of that a go. Small steps, maybe.

Obviously getting out and about might not be practical if it's the middle of the night but there must be something in that lot you could give a go. Even if it's just having a special meal.

We're pretty much as cost conscious as you, paying attention to flyer prices and wotnot - although I don't understand why everyone doesn't prefer to pay a lower amount for exactly the same item - but we do eat damn well, enjoying the occasional wine and evening scotch and 7Up.

One of our favourite meals is a good quality chicken breast and shrimp concoction of our own recipe. Two pans, two rings is all that's needed so your kitchen should handle that. Total cost of ingredients is about $8 (less without the shrimps) for four. I know you're not overly keen on wine but a $10 bottle of white zinfandel goes very nicely.

Do something like that once a week so it at least gives you something to look forward to. Then maybe when you get used to that you can take another step.

Did I post something like that before? I have a strong feeling of déjà vu.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember who said it but there is a quote that says the only way to achieve true happiness is by helping others...
That sounds like Robert Baden Powell's last letter to the Scout movement, that he wrote when his health was declining so that, like the Pirate Chief in Peter Pan, he would make sure he got it all off his chest before he died. I'm sure he wasn't the first to express the thought, but having heard it again recently at the formal closing of a weekend camp, it's fresh in my mind. Mr Google helpfully provides these excerpts:

Happiness doesn't come from being rich, nor merely from being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence.

[...]

Be contented with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one.

But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. "Be Prepared" in this way, to live happy and to die happy...
Old Jun 25th 2015, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

School is a tricky thing to accomplish, we don't have one locally, so have to figure out how to attend school in Vancouver and keep my job here and not sure how to make the money work, so far its not doable, and add in lack of financial resources for tuition and books, and just not sure how to do it, I can't pay out of pocket and its not likely I will get student loan approved again.

I did go back in 2008/2009 for upgrading however did not pass, and then stuck with large amount of student debt, I also went to college in 1998 and early 2000's and again had trouble maintaining the minimum grades to stayed enrolled, its not from lack of trying, I just do poorly in school.

How many times and how much money does one spend on school and not pass before they stop?

I know its hard for college educated folks to understand, but some of us just cannot pass college level material.

I also have no idea what I want to do since what I want to do is not an option since they only accept the TOP 20 applicants per year, and I will never be in the top 20 of anything let alone academics.

I do not know what kind of jobs I could get in the private sector that pays 25-30 per hour from the start, I am not 20, I don't have time to start at the bottom, hence why medical jobs are the only option, no way to make that kind of money elsewhere, but medical jobs are not an option because I am not smart enough.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 25th 2015 at 6:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.