Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Career change from 9-5 to something else

Career change from 9-5 to something else

Old Mar 6th 2021, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Career change from 9-5 to something else

So, i've barely finished college and still job hunting...and already questioning whether I want to do a career change. Just don't think the 9-5 bum in seat desk job life is for me. I don't like the fact that most companies here expect entry level workers to work 50/52 weeks of the year...for less money then my last internship/co-op paid me. Despite being in IT where my job should be able to be done from anywhere with internet no one wants to allow work from home even during a pandemic under the guise of "we want a presence" and "customer service." No one told me how much emphasis there is in IT on "customer service". I didn't go into this to deal with people, I did it because I like technology. I don't see myself as a "customer service agent" that needs to bend to everyone's whim, I see myself as a professional who knows what they're doing. And if I hear one more time "We aren't looking for technical skills we're looking for a good fit" I will scream. What is the point of my diploma if you aren't looking for technical skills? Again I didn't do this to be nice to people, I did it to work with technology, and technology doesn't talk back.

Its to the point where I don't even feel excited to work in the field I studied for 4 years to be in. I went into it because it was something I liked as a hobby, and i've learned a lot, but clearly I didn't research enough the amount (lack of) flexibility and low salary especially in entry level positions, and how frustrating working in corporate and dealing with all the MBA types and their wonderful "ideas" can be.

So, if it is onward and upward to the next thing, i'm not sure what to do yet but I have some contenders. In terms of a career I think I need to prioritise flexibility the most, followed by potential to earn an above average income. I don't see myself as someone who will feel truly fulfilled by working, it's just something that has to be done unless I win the $70 million lotto max $$$$, so I need to find something that will get me the most fulfillment in my personal life as I can.

The good news is going back to school shouldn't be a problem. So i've thought of two or three potential options

1. Teaching

Pros:
-Probably the most amount of time off of any job in Canada
-Good union, so once you have a permanent job unless you really and truly **** something up you can't lose your job
-Working in a high school teaching history, or even leveraging my existing skills and teaching a technological course can't be that hard
-Good pension, benefits
-Stable
-Potential to teach abroad, I know teachers who have gotten jobs in Singapore, Middle East, etc getting paid $$$$. This isn't possible in IT as the jobs in those countries are usually given to workers from the third world so they can pay less.

Cons:
-Have to go back to school, but this can be made into a Pro since I could do teachers college abroad in UK, Aus, or NZ and have the credential transferred back. But I would still have to take my college diploma and turn that into a bachelor of something first, I think, which would require 2 more years of school in a field I don't even want to work in before being able to start teachers college.
-Unknown - I don't know if I would really like teaching, or if just going into it for the benefits. Although people do say I would be good at it and I do like showing people things and training them.
-Once I have my degree it could be hard to get a permanent job teaching in a discipline I would actually be good at teaching.
-Due to COVID I don't want to go back to school until remote learning is gone and I can have the full "student experience", so I need to find something to do in the meantime. Sept 2022 is probably a good indicator of when the covid precautions will be gone or close to being gone.

2. Real Estate (and associated fields e.g. mortgage broker)

Pros
-You are your own boss workign with a brokerage, so its automatically flexible
-If you market yourself properly (luxury homes, etc) you can make enough money to live off of from selling 2 or 3 houses and then not have to work the rest of the year
-No 9-5, hours are flexible to the client and when they are available
-Getting the training needed won't take long and is inexpensive
-I could teach and do real estate, there are lots of part time real estate agents out there.

Cons
-Income can be unpredictable/commission based
-It is hard work to get established and up and running

3. Car sales

Haven't looked into this one too much, but it's commission based again and the car salesmen/women I know tend to flip flop between dealers, take extended time off etc so it seems like it can be flexible. I like cars and would feel good selling them.

4. Insurance broker

Same as above, haven't looked into it much but have a friend's dad who owns a brokerage and would probably be able to mentor me.

5. Running my own business

This is a no-brainer, i'd be my own boss so no one to tell me "no" when I want to take time off, but a high potential for it to fail/unstable income.

Sorry for the long thread start but a few of you on BE know me fairly well so i'd be interested in the input from here.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 6:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career change from 9-5 to something else

Sounds similar to the situation many immigrants find themselves in - having to work in jobs they are not interested in - for low money - just to pay the bills... despite all their training.
What a quandary - but at least you've got time to find a new career - and you'll always have your IT stuff to fall back to if necessary..

1. Teaching
Yes, you will need a degree to become a Teacher in the system - However, you don't necessarily need to be a qualified teacher to teach English as a 2nd language overseas (or online)... you could take a TEFL / TESL course and do so. (NB, there is no such word as gotten in UK English, lol)

a)Don't be fooled by the Union - there are no guarantees of a job for life, I know 2 teachers personally who didn't get their contracts renewed at the school they were working at - they were still licensed to teach, but the school decided to let them go (drop in numbers, no requirement) ... and the school board didn't have other vacancies to place them in.
b)You won't just be teaching History. I know teachers who teach 4 different subjects - ones they hadn't qualified to teach, because they were short staffed - everything from sports to english and RE - not forgettng the after school activities that they had to supervise.

It's a lot harder than you think or might believe... I have personal experience of two family members being one... many hours are spent in preparation and outside of your 'school' hours.
c)If you take the teachers course in Australia you will need a) a lot of money and b) to get the qualification converted / accepted by OCT (a family member did it)
You might want to read this : https://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teache...evious-reports

a)You work within a brokerage, paying for the priviledge - desk fee, brokerage association fees etc. (I have family members who are REA's and Brokers)
b)You wouldn't reach that level of selling until you have built up your reputation - and once you do you will be giving part of your commission to your broker and the CRA
c) A basic Real Estate Licence Registration will depend on your abilities (it can take up to 24 months), it will cost around $7,500
There's a good article about the pros and cons of both fields : https://www.remic.ca/real-estate-sal...ortgage-agent/

3. Car sales
Used car salesman? Do you have the gift of the gab - are you good with people - do you enjoy the interaction, can you be persuasive without being 'in their face'? It's an art..

4. Insurance broker
I know someone who has just completed this - https://www.mohawkcollege.ca/program...urance-318-368 despite having a BSc, she struggled with some of it.
When I used to sell travel insurance in the UK (many years ago), I used to earn 40% commission (with a captive audience i.e. they needed insurance to book the holiday!), but the commissions for general insurance isn't that high, 5-20%... you will work hard for your money.

The hardest job of all...

What about becoming an independant travel agent - or working for an agency?? Seems to me this could be right up your street!
https://www.tico.ca/blog/become-travel-agent-ontario

https://www.thetravelagentnextdoor.c...SAAEgJOdvD_BwE
(there's a few similar - do a google search)

Hopefully this is of use.. feel free to ignore me, if you prefer, lol.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 6th 2021 at 8:17 pm. Reason: didn't finish a sentence.. oops :D
Old Mar 6th 2021, 6:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Running any sort of business and selling any sort of thing means being available to work all the time. You don't control when you work, the prospects control when you work.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Become a firefighter, police officer hell even a CBSA officer and you will learn quickly that these jobs are not 9 to 5. Oh look all those have careers that have Unions, pension plans and a raft of other benefits and when ready to retire you should be able to avoid food banks or living on the street.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Sounds similar to the situation many immigrants find themselves in - having to work in jobs they are not interested in - for low money - just to pay the bills... despite all their training.
What a quandary - but at least you've got time to find a new career - and you'll always have your

1. Teaching
Yes, you will need a degree to become a Teacher in the system - However, you don't necessarily need to be a qualified teacher to teach English as a 2nd language overseas (or online)... you could take a TEFL / TESL course and do so. (NB, there is no such word as gotten in UK English, lol)

a)Don't be fooled by the Union - there are no guarantees of a job for life, I know 2 teachers personally who didn't get their contracts renewed at the school they were working at - they were still licensed to teach, but the school decided to let them go (drop in numbers, no requirement) ... and the school board didn't have other vacancies to place them in.
b)You won't just be teaching History. I know teachers who teach 4 different subjects - ones they hadn't qualified to teach, because they were short staffed - everything from sports to english and RE - not forgettng the after school activities that they had to supervise.
This is fair...I knew this would be a reality of it, but the reality for the board is if they want to place someone in a teachable that they didn't take in school then the teacher may not be good at it - which wouldn't be my problem if they want me to teach maths and i'm horrid at it. Takes someone a little apathetic to "not care" like that but it wouldn't bug me.

It's a lot harder than you think or might believe... I have personal experience of two family members being one... many hours are spent in preparation and outside of your 'school' hours.
c)If you take the teachers course in Australia you will need a) a lot of money and b) to get the qualification converted / accepted by OCT (a family member did it)
You might want to read this : https://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teache...evious-reports
I've discussed this with friends of mine who are in the industry and the consensus is high school has less prep work, and you can more or less choose which after school activities you supervise (I have an interest in robotics so i'd happily supervise that), and with regards to the prep work no one is holding a gun to your face and forcing you to do it after hours at home...so it seems like limited consequences if you set that mental boundary to stick to your prep periods and an hour or two after school before heading home.

a)You work within a brokerage, paying for the priviledge - desk fee, brokerage association fees etc. (I have family members who are REA's and Brokers)
b)You wouldn't reach that level of selling until you have built up your reputation - and once you do you will be giving part of your commission to your broker and the CRA
c) A basic Real Estate Licence Registration will depend on your abilities (it can take up to 24 months), it will cost around $7,500
There's a good article about the pros and cons of both fields : https://www.remic.ca/real-estate-sal...ortgage-agent/
Yeah these are all things I was aware of, and part of the consideration... Just not sure what to do

3. Car sales
Used car salesman? Do you have the gift of the gab - are you good with people - do you enjoy the interaction, can you be persuasive without being 'in their face'? It's an art..
I think i'd be good at selling cars since its a passion of mine and I know alot about it. But i'd never be the typical "used car salesman" talking people into a POS car or one that isn't right for them.

4. Insurance broker
I know someone who has just completed this - https://www.mohawkcollege.ca/program...urance-318-368 despite having a BSc, she struggled with some of it.
When I used to sell travel insurance in the UK (many years ago), I used to earn 40% commission (with a captive audience i.e. they needed insurance to book the holiday!), but the commissions for general insurance isn't that high, 5-20%... you will work hard for your money.
Mmmm if that is another 2 year diploma and average salary of 50k that one may be out. Doesn't seem worth it when I already have a college diploma and jobs with 50k salary available to me. Plus I don't know how much flexibility (time off) you get in that industry.

The hardest job of all...

What about becoming an independant travel agent - or working for an agency?? Seems to me this could be right up your street!
https://www.tico.ca/blog/become-travel-agent-ontario

https://www.thetravelagentnextdoor.c...SAAEgJOdvD_BwE
(there's a few similar - do a google search)

Hopefully this is of use.. feel free to ignore me, if you prefer, lol.
Yes, the bolded bit is why i'm wary of that lol. Travel agent would be a good idea if the salary was higher... Average of $30k according to glassdoor ... I need to be realistic with myself and know my spending won't fit in that budget.

Cheers, this was a helpful post as always Siouxie
Old Mar 6th 2021, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Running any sort of business and selling any sort of thing means being available to work all the time. You don't control when you work, the prospects control when you work.
Agreed, this is why i'm wary of it.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Become a firefighter, police officer hell even a CBSA officer and you will learn quickly that these jobs are not 9 to 5. Oh look all those have careers that have Unions, pension plans and a raft of other benefits and when ready to retire you should be able to avoid food banks or living on the street.
Couldn't be a cop, I disagree with too many laws to enforce them in good conscience.

CBSA agent would be good if the time off was good.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Become a skilled techician i.e plumber, electrician, house builder, solar installer etc

A recent NPR program revealed that with the 'obsession of going to college' in the US, there is a shortage of skilled artisans in all these professions. They can easily earn a 6 figure income

Having just paid $120 bucks just for a call out service, not to mind the actual repair job which is going to cost another $600, (and this after calling 3 other companies, 2 of which did not bother to respond) these guys can quote their own figures.

..... and you can set up your own business.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 8:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Become a skilled techician i.e plumber, electrician, house builder, solar installer etc

A recent NPR program revealed that with the 'obsession of going to college' in the US, there is a shortage of skilled artisans in all these professions. They can easily earn a 6 figure income

Having just paid $120 bucks just for a call out service, not to mind the actual repair job which is going to cost another $600, (and this after calling 3 other companies, 2 of which did not bother to respond) these guys can quote their own figures.

..... and you can set up your own business.
This is Canada - not the US... but yes, trades can earn good money - however, there is quite a lot involved to get Provincially Certified (they are all regulated professions in Canada).
Old Mar 6th 2021, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Agreed, this is why i'm wary of it.

Couldn't be a cop, I disagree with too many laws to enforce them in good conscience.

CBSA agent would be good if the time off was good.
Dependent on where you work most work a 4 on 4 off schedule plus annual vacation time which increases the more time you have in. We also have 9 to 5 type jobs however one big disadvantage is you don't always get to choose where you work and a person who has lived in a large city type setting might be somewhat shocked at having to work in a small isolated rural setting as that is where most land borders are located and not everyone gets to work at the airports which are usually close to if not in an actual urban setting. Granted not a job for everyone but at least there is the perception of job security. Currently the annual salary for a non specialized BSO who has completed their probation is$82,411 (FB-03). That doesn't include overtime, shift premiums etc.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-empl.../menu-eng.html

Old Mar 6th 2021, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

. I don't see myself as someone who will feel truly fulfilled by working, it's just something that has to be done unless I win the $70 million lotto max $$$$, so I need to find something that will get me the most fulfillment in my personal life as I can.

I agree with you there. And the lack of vacation time in Canada sucks.

Old Mar 6th 2021, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dependent on where you work most work a 4 on 4 off schedule plus annual vacation time which increases the more time you have in. We also have 9 to 5 type jobs however one big disadvantage is you don't always get to choose where you work and a person who has lived in a large city type setting might be somewhat shocked at having to work in a small isolated rural setting as that is where most land borders are located and not everyone gets to work at the airports which are usually close to if not in an actual urban setting. Granted not a job for everyone but at least there is the perception of job security. Currently the annual salary for a non specialized BSO who has completed their probation is$82,411 (FB-03). That doesn't include overtime, shift premiums etc.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-empl.../menu-eng.html
Thanks, that's good info. I'll add it to the list of potential options, since it defo meets income and time off.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 12:42 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

What If Money Was No Object? Do that.

Old Mar 7th 2021, 1:37 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

"I don't see myself as a "customer service agent" that needs to bend to everyone's whim, I see myself as a professional who knows what they're doing"

Most of the jobs you've listed need you to do that, and deal with people.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 2:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
What If Money Was No Object? Do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOaAHK7efc

I would be a on a plane and travelling the world until I had seen and visited every country feasible to visit, and see the sights of course. Then when done build a big house with a huge aquarium in the living room...ha ha

Wouldn't life be so much nicer if we didn't have to dedicate most of our life to working.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Re teaching ..................

do you really want to be at the beck and call of kids in high school, School Principals on your back all the time, parents who their children are little angels all the time?

Never be sure in June whether you will have a position in September, and if you do, will it be at the same school.

Do you really want to spend 10, 15 or 20 years without basically have a permanent position?

It's a unionized job ....... last in first out, regardless of subject.

It really isn't the cushy job that you think. Every school teacher I've known (including myself) has a) worked hours after school, and at weekends, b) run ragged in school, c) spent at least the first week of every vacation just getting over the bone tiredness.

Just think back to some of you classmates in high school. Would you really ant to teach them??

From the little I've picked up about you on these boards, I really do not think you would enjoy teaching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.