Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Car rental in UK advice

Car rental in UK advice

Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

sliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the roughsliam37 is a jewel in the rough
Default Car rental in UK advice

Hi,

We're going back to the UK for a holiday next month for first time in 12 years. We need to hire a car while we're there. We've spent several hours looking at all the car hire sites trying to find the best price. Before we go ahead, does anyone have any suggestions on a good company for one way hire for a few weeks (non-airport pick up).

Also, I was under the impression that some credit cards cover the extra insurance meaning I can just get the basic insurance - does anyone know anything about that?

Hoping some of you knowledgable people can help!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental in UK advice

Originally Posted by sliam37
Hi,

We're going back to the UK for a holiday next month for first time in 12 years. We need to hire a car while we're there. We've spent several hours looking at all the car hire sites trying to find the best price. Before we go ahead, does anyone have any suggestions on a good company for one way hire for a few weeks (non-airport pick up).
I have seen 121 car hire recommended several times, but have no direct experience.

https://www.121carhire.co.uk/
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Tsymons2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We rented via Enterprise last year May 2016. Figured it was the best deal. We put it on our TD visa which is one that covers insurance, so declined it there.
Note that if you don't have a current UK drivers license, you will need to get an international license before you leave to rent the vehicle (at Enterprise at least, so best check).
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 5:59 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tsymons2
We rented via Enterprise last year May 2016. Figured it was the best deal. We put it on our TD visa which is one that covers insurance, so declined it there.
Note that if you don't have a current UK drivers license, you will need to get an international license before you leave to rent the vehicle (at Enterprise at least, so best check).
Check your credit card rules. Some have car rental coverage, some don't. For short trips and if $ are not short, take the rental company insurance as it's less problem to sort out a claim (ie, generally no paperwork for damages).
Never had to have an international license with my Ontario license. Normally use Avis at Heathrow and Frankfurt because of the discount with Air Canada.
Keep in mind that all car rental companies will rip you off one way or another, so start with that mindset and go from there when choosing.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 6:30 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Never had an issue with my Canadian license and we used budget, Avis and Thrifty, Avis tried to make me pay for a windshield when I got home but I had time and dated video of the car the day I dropped it off. I sent then video prints and offered to give them a copy of my video. They emailed back and said it was a mistake on their part.

Used TD visa for collision damage waiver and took their 3 rd party cover. Still it's not cheap. !!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the international licence requirement being incorrect. I've rented from all the major rental co's in U.K. and elsewhere in Europe for the past 12 years on a Newfoundland license.

Also generally used my RBC aerogold visa insurance to cover insurance needs with no issue (but no accidents either). When renting through work we're required to take the comprehensive coverage from the car rental provider. Which proved useful when I put diesel into a petrol engines Golf....
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The international license is just a translation of your original license; it's not needed if your original license is in English and you're going to England. I've used my Ontario one in Europe too (where they speak foreign), that may not be kosher or it may be a blessing of EU membership.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The international license is just a translation of your original license; it's not needed if your original license is in English and you're going to England. I've used my Ontario one in Europe too (where they speak foreign), that may not be kosher or it may be a blessing of EU membership.
I've heard it is technically required in places like Italy and Spain (both places I've had the only 2 speeding offences since 1990 via the dreaded speed cameras..somewhow I managed to avoid them in the UK and Ireland).

For an Ontario licence it isn't required for France/Switzerland/Belgium as they allegedly speak french and the Ontario licence is in both languages
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I've heard it is technically required in places like Italy and Spain (both places I've had the only 2 speeding offences since 1990 via the dreaded speed cameras..somewhow I managed to avoid them in the UK and Ireland).

For an Ontario licence it isn't required for France/Switzerland/Belgium as they allegedly speak french and the Ontario licence is in both languages
That all makes sense. I've recently driven in CH but borrowed the car and didn't think about licensing. I've rented a "car" for use in Italy later in the year, the rental company seemed unconcerned about legal niceties. That may be because the Citroen Mehari doesn't quite count as a vehicle or it may be that they just have a shrugging approach to life. Perhaps I'll get an international permit anyway.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

That all makes sense. I've recently driven in CH but borrowed the car and didn't think about licensing. I've rented a "car" for use in Italy later in the year, the rental company seemed unconcerned about legal niceties. That may be because the Citroen Mehari doesn't quite count as a vehicle or it may be that they just have a shrugging approach to life. Perhaps I'll get an international permit anyway.
I didn't realize the Mehari has come back to life. We've had the resurrection of the Mini, VW Beetle, Fiat 500 now just the 2CV remains to come back to life. On second thought probably best to keep as is.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

I didn't realize the Mehari has come back to life. We've had the resurrection of the Mini, VW Beetle, Fiat 500 now just the 2CV remains to come back to life. On second thought probably best to keep as is.
Oh, it's not one of the new electric ones (nor one of the twin engined 2CVs) but the Mini Moke style one.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, it's not one of the new electric ones (nor one of the twin engined 2CVs) but the Mini Moke style one.
Ah..sounds like a fun car to rent. Will it be in flat or hilly terrain?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:08 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

This year I'm hiring with Avis again, as their price was the best as a an add on to the flight I got on Expedia. Avis tried to screw me 2 years back for a scuff on the alloy, to the tune of more than the two weeks rental.... I called them to tell them I didn't accept it and then got mastercard to deal with it, which they did eventually.

Hertz were actually fair last year.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

Ah..sounds like a fun car to rent. Will it be in flat or hilly terrain?
I don't know. I suppose if there are hills slow progress will be made. On a recent trip I hired a Cactus which was claimed to covered in nubbly rubber spikes to minimize car park damage. The spikes were rather a disappointment, being few and short.

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 6th 2017 at 11:44 am.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
This year I'm hiring with Avis again, as their price was the best as a an add on to the flight I got on Expedia. Avis tried to screw me 2 years back for a scuff on the alloy, to the tune of more than the two weeks rental.... I called them to tell them I didn't accept it and then got mastercard to deal with it, which they did eventually.

Hertz were actually fair last year.
I don't think there is a hire car company out there that doesn't have this sort of complaint about them. I rented a car through Green Motion last time I went back to the UK - after I booked it I saw some reviews for the particular location where I booked and they were awful - so many people claiming to be ripped off. The rental was really cheap - I got a pretty nice car for two weeks for 109GBP. The problem was I couldn't figure out how they could do it for that price and so worried the entire two weeks that I was going to get extra charges when I took it back. They looked it over, said everything was fine and I was on my way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.