Car insurance

Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Car insurance

We got our car insurance through a broker here back in July. We gave copies of our no claims etc and got a deal through AXA. Suddenly at the end of September we were told that our no claims did not count in Canada as we had out of North America driving experience, so we have to pay full premium

Our broker said he'd try and find someone else who could insure us, but has since come back and said he can't find anyone.

We are in New Brunswick, is this just a provincial issue or a Canada wide one? What companies have you got insurance from and have they honored your no claims? We have coming on to ten years so we are reluctant to let it slip away!

Any recommendation of a good insurance company would be good as we are paying over $150 per month in car insurance at the moment.

Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

$150 a month is not the worst cost I've seen.

Back when it was still important to me Pilot Insurance were prepared to take my UK record into account. They operate through independent brokers. Not sure if they are only operating in Ontario or not.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
$150 a month is not the worst cost I've seen.
Seems like a bargain, even if it's per car.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Try Johnson Insurance. I think they cover NB.

I renewed our insurance today. With 5 years claim free history in Canada (but unfortunately a claim in the UK in the year I left) it will cost us $2100 to insure a car, a truck and an ATV for the year. $150 a month would be lovely in comparison!

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Dec 8th 2009 at 5:43 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The Beetle is $3,000/year with a $5,000 deductible for collision and no windshield coverage.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:43 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Beetle is $3,000/year with a $5,000 deductible for collision and no windshield coverage.
Ouch! The recent interface with a truck load of rebar sounds like an expensive proposition in that case?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ouch! The recent interface with a truck load of rebar sounds like an expensive proposition in that case?
Ah, that happened on the last day of the term. The $3,000 was the renewal premium not taking the collision into account.

Crashes are always expensive, having worked with Canadian insurance companies for decades the last thing I'd expect is for one to settle a claim without making the policyholder suffer; either they stick the insured with the repair bill or with legal fees for making them pay for the repair. The estimate for the Beetle repair is $12,000 but $3,000 in parts and $800 in labour is for the soft top; I expect I'll just duct tape over the hole.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The estimate for the Beetle repair is $12,000 but $3,000 in parts and $800 in labour is for the soft top; I expect I'll just duct tape over the hole.
You could just drive it with the roof down for the winter to prove some macho point...
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:59 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Try Johnson Insurance. I think they cover NB.

I renewed our insurance today. With 5 years claim free history in Canada (but unfortunately a claim in the UK in the year I left) it will cost us $2100 to insure a car, a truck and an ATV for the year. $150 a month would be lovely in comparison!
I too used johnson and they took into account my UK history. they were cheaper than most. I think I ended up paying just over $100 per month...a good $30 cheaper than the other guys.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

ClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really nice

Do they do winter tyres and chains for bicycles?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You could just drive it with the roof down for the winter to prove some macho point...
Proving one's macho point in a Beetle is always challenging.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ClanickP
Do they do winter tyres and chains for bicycles?
You can get studded tires....

Why you would want to I dont know...
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:22 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You can get studded tires....

Why you would want to I dont know...
A colleague uses those (she can't drive due to health reasons), and she manages to commute right through the winter without problem.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay $150 a month, and receive some credit for my UK experience...and I'm an insurance broker, and get staff discount!

You aint gettin' ripped off with $150 a month, trust me!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by luvmykids
We got our car insurance through a broker here back in July. We gave copies of our no claims etc and got a deal through AXA. Suddenly at the end of September we were told that our no claims did not count in Canada as we had out of North America driving experience, so we have to pay full premium

Our broker said he'd try and find someone else who could insure us, but has since come back and said he can't find anyone.

We are in New Brunswick, is this just a provincial issue or a Canada wide one? What companies have you got insurance from and have they honored your no claims? We have coming on to ten years so we are reluctant to let it slip away!

Any recommendation of a good insurance company would be good as we are paying over $150 per month in car insurance at the moment.

Thanks
Try Canadian Direct they will take into account UK driving record

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.