Reload this Page >

Car experts (Canada) needed

Wikiposts

Car experts (Canada) needed

Old May 25th 2009, 2:19 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car experts (Canada) needed

Originally Posted by iaink
You can usually get a remote starter to work on a manual tranny vehicle, you just need to get the right one...

Cat is in prison? Prowling by night? Burgulary perhaps?
Can you re-fit a lease vehicle, though?

Cat in vet for neutering.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:35 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir

I dont think it devalues the vehicle (if its done right), so its probably OK. They may insist on doing it themselves for warranty reasons though, so it will cost more.... Good point though...Id ask them.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:46 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Either get the dealer to do it, or ensure that you have it removed before returning the vehicle at the end of the lease.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:52 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the finer details but I've seen both companies offering service plans (I think they're included, as opposed to something you pay extra for) and long warranties.

Shows they have confidence in their products, I suppose.

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive not driven one, what I know is that Kia is related to Hyundai, and that Hyundai seem to be developing a pretty good reputation for solid vehicles at good prices. Kia tend to be the economy version of Hyundais...

At that cost whats the worst thing that could happen if you go for the Kia, you pay your $200 a month and eventually return it.... if it sucks it will at least have warranty coverage...
Old May 25th 2009, 3:39 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Kia and Hyundai are both moving up in the quality stakes, the Soul & Forte was designed by the same guy who designed the Audi TT.

One of the major issues with early Korean cars is a cultural thing. In the west we like a good solid thunk when we shut a car door but to the Koreans it means nothing and so their cars traditionally shut with a tinny sound. THe first Korean car designed speciffically for the Western market was the C'eed which has not made its way to these shores............except in the guise of the Hyundai Elantra Touring.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:18 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Kia and Hyundai are both moving up in the quality stakes, the Soul & Forte was designed by the same guy who designed the Audi TT.

One of the major issues with early Korean cars is a cultural thing. In the west we like a good solid thunk when we shut a car door but to the Koreans it means nothing and so their cars traditionally shut with a tinny sound. THe first Korean car designed speciffically for the Western market was the C'eed which has not made its way to these shores............except in the guise of the Hyundai Elantra Touring.
It's amazing what you can learn when you ask. I'd have thought a door to be just that but, on reflection, I can imagine North Americans wanting things to sound chunky.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:26 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing what you can learn when you ask. I'd have thought a door to be just that but, on reflection, I can imagine North Americans wanting things to sound chunky.

I'm not so sure it's just a cultural thing - shut a Merc or BMW door, for example, and you get a solid thunk due to the higher level of sound-proofing material within the door. Premium products better insulate the interior from road noise etc. Consumers with less expensive tastes don't demand or expect the same level of isolation from mechanical or road noise, so manufacturers can skimp on 'chunky' doors.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:35 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm not so sure it's just a cultural thing - shut a Merc or BMW door, for example, and you get a solid thunk due to the higher level of sound-proofing material within the door. Premium products better insulate the interior from road noise etc. Consumers with less expensive tastes don't demand or expect the same level of isolation from mechanical or road noise, so manufacturers can skimp on 'chunky' doors.
Its cultural in that the Koreans do not measure quality by the heavy thud when shutting a door, I remember reading an extensive article on the C'eed that talked about this. Having driven 'cheaper' Western brands they still had a quality sounding thud.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:05 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

During a short trip to Seoul, I got the feeling "quality" is greyed-out in the time/cost/quality triangle in Korean design philosophy. Perfectly understandable, given the circumstances there and product perception seemed to be driven more by sincere emotions, rather than competitive desire.

Not one of those things I'd immediately flag as "better" or "worse", just "different".

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Its cultural in that the Koreans do not measure quality by the heavy thud when shutting a door, I remember reading an extensive article on the C'eed that talked about this. Having driven 'cheaper' Western brands they still had a quality sounding thud.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:14 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

I know next to nothing about cars. SWMBO knows how to drive one but nothing more. The 2000 Shitfire is on its last legs and the servicing bills are starting to get quite steep.

Our local KIA dealer is running a promo at the moment on the 2010 Soul. It's an ugly little bastard but the 4-year lease with the first two years at $200 a month looks quite attractive. We're looking at the basic 1.6L model. That sounds a bit puny but the compression ratio appears (to me) to be quite high, at 10.5:1. It seems to have more horses than the 2.2L Snotfire and the fuel consumption of 6.3L/100km doesn't sound too bad. It passes my Home Depot test. It is only available with stick-shift.

Has anyone driven one of these? What is KIA like, in general?
i drove a hyundai until quite recently, nearly 2yrs, wife got one little after me, still has it, was/is very pleased with both. if you could stretch a little, the basic tucson with air may be for you as it appears to tick the boxes you mention, especially the better build quality. warranty at five years, with breakdown coverage thrown in.

my wife drives like a mad mad mad thing on madness, if it can withstand her driving it has to be pretty bullet proof. she has killed two VW's and a honda before this.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

barrett will become famous soon enoughbarrett will become famous soon enough

for a small car i was very pleased with my ageing Accent. The new ones are cute & I seen an ad recently showing them new at 10k. Just a thought
I drive a VW currently..and LOVE IT. (but costly)
Old May 27th 2009, 8:52 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have been driving a Hyundai Sonata for the last two years. The interior plastic is very ... er ... plasticky but it drives OK and nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

A competent car without being in any way exciting but, for someone as close to a dollar as I am, the price warms the spots other cars don't reach.