Cannabis

Old May 6th 2021, 7:08 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm after a bit of advice mates. My son now has an appointment at the end of May for the clinic his GP told him about. As mentioned, the initial appointment is $395, and after a bit of digging around I've found out that he would need to have further appointments as follows:
2 consultations per month @ $180 each for 6 months
then
Ongoing appointments once a month @ $90 each for as long as he's prescribed medical cannabis.
None of these fees attract any rebate from Oz's universal health system. When you add the cost of the cannabis itself it's adding up, especially for a young man who'd currently not working.

I've found a research study that Sydney Uni is doing into quality of life changes for people using medical cannabis. I pretended I was my son (!) and did the screening test and he's eligible to participate in the study. He'd need to go through one the doctors who are participating, I've checked their fees and they're heaps less plus there are substantial rebates from Medicare for the appointment fees.

This is the bit I wanted to ask your advice on. The type of medical cannabis used is oil, and is AU$150 for a 50ml bottle. A bit more about that:

To ensure consistency across study participants, all products will be supplied by the same Australian manufacturer, Little Green Pharma. The products are all oral medications manufactured from whole-plant extracts into a medical grade cannabis oil. These medicinal cannabis oils come in a range of THC and CBD ratios, including a CBD only option. Your prescribing doctor will consider the appropriate product and ratio based on your medical condition and personal circumstances.
All patients taking part in this study will be charged the same rate for their medicinal cannabis products regardless of the THC/CBD ratio. This cost is set at AUD150.00 per unit (bottle) plus $15 delivery.

I don't even know what any of that means. How do you use the oil? How many 50ml bottles do you think someone using it for pain relief would need per month? (I know that's probably a piece of string question). Is the oil as effective as any other cannabis product in relieving pain, or is it all about how much THC is in the product? Any thoughts are most welcome, thanks
My first thought is that CBD provides for the pain relief, THC is used more in other areas, but various cannabinoids are useful. My suppliers have 'normal' CBD and 'full spectrum CBD' oils, the full-spectrum is presented thus:

As caretaker says, the oil is dripped under the tongue, this way the body has a better uptake than when using capsules, but not as high as transdermal patches.

Using CBD oil, getting to the correct dosage will take some experimentation; the effect is not immediate, it will take a few days, even a couple of weeks to feel any benefit. Stuff I read when I started with CBD oil was "3 - 5 drops, several times a day". Prescribing doctor should advise initial dosage approach, as well as CBD/THC ratio, I would reckon.

As to pricing... not knowing the concentration it's anybody's guess, but here's the full spectrum available where I am:

Standard CBD Content: 10% or 1000 mg of CBD per 10ml bottle : €74.50 - AUD 115.40
High CBD Content: 20% or 2000 mg of CBD per 10ml bottle : €93.50 - AUD 144.90
Very High CBD Content: 30% or 3000 mg of CBD per 10ml bottle : €139 - AUD 215.40

I used to reckon on using 15-20ml-ish per month before I switched to using patches.

AUD 150 for 50ml might seem ok, but I'd get more info on % content and cannabinoids present. I know that in the UK for example, there are products available for half the price of the Euro prices just above, but only one quarter of the % content.

Hth.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; May 6th 2021 at 7:40 pm. Reason: Clarifying half of 'which' price.
Old May 6th 2021, 7:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks caretaker, I appreciate your thoughts. So $150 for 50ml is expensive? I was hoping to lure my son into participating in the study on the basis that the cannabis it would be less expensive that paying the full price. I know all the stuff about the research being beneficial and he's usually very civic minded, but he's not in the best place mentally right now so I was hoping for a 'hook' to get him motivated to participate in the research study. Still, the cheaper consultation fees (as opposed to the clinic his doctor referred him to) might be enough incentive.
Expense of something on the other side of the world is all apples and oranges when you think about it. In my view the cost of cannabis just a short drive across the US border seems usurious.
Old May 6th 2021, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
As caretaker says, the oil is dripped under the tongue, this way the body has a better uptake than when using capsules, but not as high as transdermal patches.

Side question - practical matters - the 'dropper' sits inside the bottle, submerged in the oil. When you use the 'dropper' to place the liquid under your tongue, it inevitably touches the tongue. This 'contaminates' the dropper, which then gets returned to the bottle, and thus, contaminates the oil. Is this something to be concerned about? First time I used it, I did as described above, and after thinking about this issue, I used the dropper to dispense the liquid onto a spoon, then used the spoon to place under my tongue. Is the issue of 'saliva in the oil' simply not worth worrying about?
Old May 6th 2021, 7:52 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Side question - practical matters - the 'dropper' sits inside the bottle, submerged in the oil. When you use the 'dropper' to place the liquid under your tongue, it inevitably touches the tongue. This 'contaminates' the dropper, which then gets returned to the bottle, and thus, contaminates the oil. Is this something to be concerned about? First time I used it, I did as described above, and after thinking about this issue, I used the dropper to dispense the liquid onto a spoon, then used the spoon to place under my tongue. Is the issue of 'saliva in the oil' simply not worth worrying about?
Never even crossed my mind, I would say not worth worrying over.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:32 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Through 50 years of cannabis use, I've nearly always known someone like Mike.

Old May 7th 2021, 4:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Steerpike and BB, thank you so much for your posts and very helpful thoughts and information. I was talking with one of my sisters today and telling her about the cannabis research study, and how some very nice people from all over the world were giving me such great help with understanding how it all works. She has a PhD in Psychology and reckons I have better sources for research than she does

Steerpike, thank you again for the lovely funding thought but we'll be right thanks
Old May 7th 2021, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Steerpike and BB, thank you so much for your posts and very helpful thoughts and information. I was talking with one of my sisters today and telling her about the cannabis research study, and how some very nice people from all over the world were giving me such great help with understanding how it all works. She has a PhD in Psychology and reckons I have better sources for research than she does

Steerpike, thank you again for the lovely funding thought but we'll be right thanks
FYI, I saw this back when it first came out. Compelling stuff to share with detractors.

Don't know how well-known Sanjay Gupta is outside the US, but he's very well known and influential here in the US. He was offered the position of Surgeon General by Obama, but declined. Basically, he was against Marijuana then did a 180 after studying the subject. Nice to see a guy admitting to his mistake!

https://www.cnn.com/specials/health/medical-marijuana

also

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/healt...mind-marijuana
Old May 9th 2021, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Article today about conservative states in the US, coming around to Medical Marijuana:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-states-485830
Old May 9th 2021, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The south always seems to be late to the game by a decade or 2...

I watched a jail show on netflix (first day and last day, basically follows people on their first day in jail and their last day) and it is mind boggling how many people were in jail and arrested for pot, not like trafficking levels but small amounts, some county in Georgia is where it was filmed.

Article today about conservative states in the US, coming around to Medical Marijuana:

Old May 9th 2021, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caretaker
Through 50 years of cannabis use, I've nearly always known someone like Mike.
Puzzled ... https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...0on%20a%20bike
Old May 9th 2021, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The south always seems to be late to the game by a decade or 2...

I watched a jail show on netflix (first day and last day, basically follows people on their first day in jail and their last day) and it is mind boggling how many people were in jail and arrested for pot, not like trafficking levels but small amounts, some county in Georgia is where it was filmed.
Although, listening to Spouse Of Scouse's experiences in Oz, and talking to my friends in the UK, 'the South' may not be as backwards as those places when it comes to Mary Jane!
Old May 9th 2021, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile.
https://bayqueen.life/menu/products/...-barkley-81658
https://bayqueen.life/menu
Old May 10th 2021, 2:02 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm a caretaker/maintenance man and a Canadian High School graduate, and we're real problem solvers.

Old May 10th 2021, 3:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The Netflix series Rotten (highly recommend it, it's a great series, shows the dark side of some of our food supply supply has an episode on edibles, and they mention the US spends some $8 billion a year enforcing marijuana laws.

They only briefly mention it but you know so many hoping for federal legalization but one thing about that, federal legalization will bring FDA regulations to edibles and who knows what the FDA would do.

Right now it's state by state regulation and a bit of the wild wild west.
Old May 10th 2021, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm a caretaker/maintenance man and a Canadian High School graduate, and we're real problem solvers.

"Read the small print"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.