Cannabis

Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Semi-update on my son's quest for medical cannabis. He hadn't made an appointment so I asked him why. The reason was the first appointment is $390 and there's no rebate from Medicare. As he had to stop his very physical job after MS began to make itself felt, he's not working so can't afford that. Anyone would think the Oz government isn't really keen on medical cannabis Scouse and I will pay for the appointment so we'll see what happens next.
The bastards, it should be covered! We can't really throw stones though, when you consider that legalization was recommended here in 1967 and it took forever to come about.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The bastards, it should be covered! We can't really throw stones though, when you consider that legalization was recommended here in 1967 and it took forever to come about.
The wheels of change aren't so much slow as frozen. I think I mixed my metaphors there but you know what I mean
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Two indica-dominant strains from mail-order marijuana stores (MOM's). The Black Widow on the left was $125 and the Death Bubba on the right was $181 but the discount for buying 5 oz at once brought it down to $113. Saliva strains have cute names like Girl Scout Cookies or Strawberry Cough, but Indica strains often have darker, tougher names. It makes 30 years ago when good pot was $320 - $350 /oz (if you could find it) seem like the dark ages.

Old Apr 19th 2021, 4:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Two indica-dominant strains from mail-order marijuana stores (MOM's). The Black Widow on the left was $125 and the Death Bubba on the right was $181 but the discount for buying 5 oz at once brought it down to $113. Saliva strains have cute names like Girl Scout Cookies or Strawberry Cough, but Indica strains often have darker, tougher names. It makes 30 years ago when good pot was $320 - $350 /oz (if you could find it) seem like the dark ages.
Strawberry Cough - as featured in the film Children of Men (a great scene featuring Michael Caine.. this is a snippet).

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 19th 2021 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

A random menu grab of an Ontario, Oregon store shows good selection, and prices still up there, but not as bad as many US dispensaries. Canadian "grey market" mail order prices are still about half as much (with a little shopping around), considering exchange.
https://burntriverfarms.com/pages/me...gory%5D=flower
Can you elaborate on 'gray market mail order'? I would have thought if you weren't fully legal, doing business mail order would really expose the vendor!
Semi-update on my son's quest for medical cannabis. He hadn't made an appointment so I asked him why. The reason was the first appointment is $390 and there's no rebate from Medicare. As he had to stop his very physical job after MS began to make itself felt, he's not working so can't afford that. Anyone would think the Oz government isn't really keen on medical cannabis Scouse and I will pay for the appointment so we'll see what happens next.
Set up a GoFundMe and I'll gladly chip in to the cause!
... It makes 30 years ago when good pot was $320 - $350 /oz (if you could find it) seem like the dark ages.
I don't recall how much we paid for pot as teenagers / at Uni, but we didn't have much money so I can't imagine it was that much (London, late 70s).
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Strawberry Cough - as featured in the film Children of Men (a great scene featuring Michael Caine.. this is a snippet).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgbyrD1Yw8

Outstanding movie! I'd forgotten about that scene.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 5:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can you elaborate on 'gray market mail order?.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mail+order...da&t=h_&ia=web
Have a browse through some of these....
By the late 70's we were getting away from the $20/oz of Mexican pot and into $60 Colombian, it was a sea change.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mail+order...da&t=h_&ia=web
Have a browse through some of these....
By the late 70's we were getting away from the $20/oz of Mexican pot and into $60 Colombian, it was a sea change.
I read several of the links; they look like typical mail order sites. But there's no hint that they are not fully legal. Are you saying these sites are illegal? I'm trying to make sense of your 'gray market' comment.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 6:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I read several of the links; they look like typical mail order sites. But there's no hint that they are not fully legal. Are you saying these sites are illegal? I'm trying to make sense of your 'gray market' comment.
Yep, almost all are illegal. One of the 3 companies I've been buying from is even charging sales tax, I suppose just in case they get hauled into court over taxes. If this thriving mail order business didn't exist, I wonder how many hours it would take for the licensed dispensaries to run out? One result has been the licensed stores have had to improve the quality of their dope and bring the price down.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I always found the whole criminalization of pot weird, seems like a waste of police resources, gave who knows how many people a criminal record, and prison time, really drug use in general should be decriminalized, go after the makers, smugglers, arresting the users does nothing.
Making low cost drugs available to the public is just another tool like cheap credit is for keeping the peasants malleable.
Old May 6th 2021, 4:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm after a bit of advice mates. My son now has an appointment at the end of May for the clinic his GP told him about. As mentioned, the initial appointment is $395, and after a bit of digging around I've found out that he would need to have further appointments as follows:
2 consultations per month @ $180 each for 6 months
then
Ongoing appointments once a month @ $90 each for as long as he's prescribed medical cannabis.
None of these fees attract any rebate from Oz's universal health system. When you add the cost of the cannabis itself it's adding up, especially for a young man who'd currently not working.

I've found a research study that Sydney Uni is doing into quality of life changes for people using medical cannabis. I pretended I was my son (!) and did the screening test and he's eligible to participate in the study. He'd need to go through one the doctors who are participating, I've checked their fees and they're heaps less plus there are substantial rebates from Medicare for the appointment fees.

This is the bit I wanted to ask your advice on. The type of medical cannabis used is oil, and is AU$150 for a 50ml bottle. A bit more about that:

To ensure consistency across study participants, all products will be supplied by the same Australian manufacturer, Little Green Pharma. The products are all oral medications manufactured from whole-plant extracts into a medical grade cannabis oil. These medicinal cannabis oils come in a range of THC and CBD ratios, including a CBD only option. Your prescribing doctor will consider the appropriate product and ratio based on your medical condition and personal circumstances.
All patients taking part in this study will be charged the same rate for their medicinal cannabis products regardless of the THC/CBD ratio. This cost is set at AUD150.00 per unit (bottle) plus $15 delivery.

I don't even know what any of that means. How do you use the oil? How many 50ml bottles do you think someone using it for pain relief would need per month? (I know that's probably a piece of string question). Is the oil as effective as any other cannabis product in relieving pain, or is it all about how much THC is in the product? Any thoughts are most welcome, thanks

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 6th 2021 at 4:11 pm.
Old May 6th 2021, 4:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm after a bit of advice mates. My son now has an appointment at the end of May for the clinic his GP told him about. As mentioned, the initial appointment is $395, and after a bit of digging around I've found out that he would need to have further appointments as follows:
2 consultations per month @ $180 each for 6 months
then
Ongoing appointments once a month @ $90 each for as long as he's prescribed medical cannabis.
None of these fees attract any rebate from Oz's universal health system. When you add the cost of the cannabis itself it's adding up, especially for a young man who'd currently not working.

I've found a research study that Sydney Uni is doing into quality of life changes for people using medical cannabis. I pretended I was my son (!) and did the screening test and he's eligible to participate in the study. He'd need to go through one the doctors who are participating, I've checked their fees and they're heaps less plus there are substantial rebates from Medicare for the appointment fees.

This is the bit I wanted to ask your advice on. The type of medical cannabis used is oil, and is AU$150 for a 50ml bottle. A bit more about that:

To ensure consistency across study participants, all products will be supplied by the same Australian manufacturer, Little Green Pharma. The products are all oral medications manufactured from whole-plant extracts into a medical grade cannabis oil. These medicinal cannabis oils come in a range of THC and CBD ratios, including a CBD only option. Your prescribing doctor will consider the appropriate product and ratio based on your medical condition and personal circumstances.
All patients taking part in this study will be charged the same rate for their medicinal cannabis products regardless of the THC/CBD ratio. This cost is set at AUD150.00 per unit (bottle) plus $15 delivery.

I don't even know what any of that means. How do you use the oil? How many 50ml bottles do you think someone using it for pain relief would need per month? (I know that's probably a piece of string question). Is the oil as effective as any other cannabis product in relieving pain, or is it all about how much THC is in the product? Any thoughts are most welcome, thanks
You use the oil sublingually, by placing drops beneath the tongue and holding them there as long as possible to be absorbed by a gland. The rage now is CBD that works for pain but doesn't get you high, but I've never tried it. If the part that works best for pain is CBD, and a normal CBD content in marijuana is less than 1% and that still helps, it must be powerful stuff. I would expect the oil you describe to be effective. I have THC tincture, and I've had 50/50 THC/CBD tincture, and the 50/50 worked better. I know there are members on here who use CBD drops regularly so I'll let them do the heavy lifting. Yes, it seems very expensive, both the product and the therapy (especially since it's a trial, should be free).
Old May 6th 2021, 4:45 pm
Concierge

You use the oil sublingually, by placing drops beneath the tongue and holding them there as long as possible to be absorbed by a gland. The rage now is CBD that works for pain but doesn't get you high, but I've never tried it. If the part that works best for pain is CBD, and a normal CBD content in marijuana is less than 1% and that still helps, it must be powerful stuff. I would expect the oil you describe to be effective. I have THC tincture, and I've had 50/50 THC/CBD tincture, and the 50/50 worked better. I know there are members on here who use CBD drops regularly so I'll let them do the heavy lifting. Yes, it seems very expensive, both the product and the therapy (especially since it's a trial, should be free).
Thanks caretaker, I appreciate your thoughts. So $150 for 50ml is expensive? I was hoping to lure my son into participating in the study on the basis that the cannabis it would be less expensive that paying the full price. I know all the stuff about the research being beneficial and he's usually very civic minded, but he's not in the best place mentally right now so I was hoping for a 'hook' to get him motivated to participate in the research study. Still, the cheaper consultation fees (as opposed to the clinic his doctor referred him to) might be enough incentive.
Old May 6th 2021, 4:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If he will be using CBD oil, it’ll likely come in a dropper bottle. The packaging might specify how much CBD is in a single drop. From there, you can figure out how many drops he will need to use.

Sometimes it’s harder to figure out how much CBD is in one drop because the packaging specifies the total amount of CBD in the entire bottle, but not the amount that will be in a single drop.

One drop is about 0.05 milliliters (mL). That is, not a full dropper — just a single drop.

This means that a 10-mL bottle of CBD oil contains 200 drops. And if the packaging for that 10-mL bottle says that the bottle contains 1,000 mg of CBD, each drop will contain about 5 mg of CBD.

So, to have 20 mg of that type of CBD oil, you should take four drops.

If his doctor doesn’t provide a recommendation, it’s best to start with a smaller dosage and gradually increase it. This could mean starting with 20 to 40 mg a day. After a week, increase this amount by 5 mg. Continue this until he feels that it’s effectively treating his symptoms.
Old May 6th 2021, 5:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Danny B
If he will be using CBD oil, it’ll likely come in a dropper bottle. The packaging might specify how much CBD is in a single drop. From there, you can figure out how many drops he will need to use.

Sometimes it’s harder to figure out how much CBD is in one drop because the packaging specifies the total amount of CBD in the entire bottle, but not the amount that will be in a single drop.

One drop is about 0.05 milliliters (mL). That is, not a full dropper — just a single drop.

This means that a 10-mL bottle of CBD oil contains 200 drops. And if the packaging for that 10-mL bottle says that the bottle contains 1,000 mg of CBD, each drop will contain about 5 mg of CBD.

So, to have 20 mg of that type of CBD oil, you should take four drops.

If his doctor doesn’t provide a recommendation, it’s best to start with a smaller dosage and gradually increase it. This could mean starting with 20 to 40 mg a day. After a week, increase this amount by 5 mg. Continue this until he feels that it’s effectively treating his symptoms.
That's great info Danny, thanks very much. You've cleared up a lot of my cock-eyed thinking - I was picturing a little 50ml bottle that you have a 'dose' from, like you take a spoonful of cough medicine So a 50ml bottle will contain around 1,000 drops, and your explanation of how to calculate the dose of CBD (and THC if his doctor prescribes an oil that contains that as well) is very clear. I'm pretty sure his doctor will explain everything to my son but as I'm his chief supporter and cheerleader I like to know as well. Cheers!
Old May 6th 2021, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This might help - https://papaandbarkley.com/learn/can...thc-tinctures/ . I've bought tincture from Papa and Barkley, and I think their literature is fairly accurate.

Pay attention to step 2 - "Find your optimal dose" Brief extract:

A little goes a long way. For your first week, a good rule of thumb is to start with the most basic dose of 0.25ml.

Days 1-4: Take 0.25ml of your chosen tincture once in the morning and once at night.

Days 5-7: Take 0.25ml in the morning. Take 0.50ml in the evening.

(The article goes on to cover weeks and weeks; the above is just an extract to give an idea of the level of detail they provide).

I'm not promoting their products or validating their literature, just suggesting it will give an idea of dosing.

I only recently started using marijuana again, after a 40 year gap. My observation is, a little goes a long way! I bought a small amount in December for $20 and it's still going! I am not using it exclusively (I've been buying all kinds of variants to experiment) but what boggles my mind (literally ! ) is that I only need 2-4 'puffs' (of the 'vape' variety I've been trying) and I'm all set for the evening!

And as for the doctor's costs; I said it before, and I'm serious - set up a gofundme account and I'll gladly participate, as I'm sure others would. I'm really committed to this concept in principle and I'd rather donate to this than other charities right now.

Last edited by Steerpike; May 6th 2021 at 6:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.