Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

& Canadians moan about gas prices here!

& Canadians moan about gas prices here!

Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:06 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: & Canadians moan about gas prices here!

Originally Posted by R I C H
I didn't claim they didn't exist, I was responding to the assertion that "people in BC are paying around $2k - 3k for basic comprehensive insurance" - it's just a broad generalization that doesn't necessarily give a true picture of costs. In my own experience, and with knowledge of friends and colleagues insurance overheads, those figures are much higher than average.

I agree that the vehicle seems to make little difference. My premiums have differed by less than $150 p/yr, for vehicles as varied as a Sierra 1500 SLT, Mazda 3GT, Ford F150, Impreza WRX, Mercedes ML and Forester XT. The value of them ranged from $20 to $60k, some leased, some financed, some owned outright.
Have to agree with Rich on this one, everyone I know are well under the 2 k price point.

Funny about the vehicle having little effect - let' all get porsche's and compare costs to the UK and we will feel like were getting a deal!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Have to agree with Rich on this one, everyone I know are well under the 2 k price point.

Funny about the vehicle having little effect - let' all get porsche's and compare costs to the UK and we will feel like were getting a deal!
I know. Sometimes it almost feels as if we're living in a foreign country.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't claim they didn't exist, I was responding to the assertion that "people in BC are paying around $2k - 3k for basic comprehensive insurance" - it's just a broad generalization that doesn't necessarily give a true picture of costs. In my own experience, and with knowledge of friends and colleagues insurance overheads, those figures are much higher than average.

I agree that the vehicle seems to make little difference. My premiums have differed by less than $150 p/yr, for vehicles as varied as a Sierra 1500 SLT, Mazda 3GT, Ford F150, Impreza WRX, Mercedes ML and Forester XT. The value of them ranged from $20 to $60k, some leased, some financed, some owned outright.
Base price insurance including the usual 3 million liability extension, comprehensive and collision.

Jeep Liberty 2004 - $2500

Dodge Ram 2010 - $2800

Pontiac Sunfire 1999 - $2010

Cavalier 1997 - $1600

Isuzu 2005 commercial box van - $1200

These are all actual figures for vehicles our various family members have owned/still own. Of course the actual amounts paid will be less if there is any no claim discount BUT the $2k to $3k figure quoted isn't that far off.

The Sunfire and the Cavalier are near identical vehicles but have $400 difference in insurance costs for some reason.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:45 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

My experiences since '05 - base price insurance plus $3 million liability, comprehensive and collision. Comprehensive element is with Canadian Direct. Drivers limited to 10yrs+ experience.

2010 Mercedes ML350 $1250
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX $1225
2007 Ford F150 King Ranch $1310
2006 Mazda 3GT $1180
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT $1275

Kelowna must be a high risk area Mr Printer
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:49 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In White Rock we pay $1,300 each for a Honda CRV and Hyundai Sonata. Basic with Autoplan the rest with CDI.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by printer
Base price insurance including the usual 3 million liability extension, comprehensive and collision.

Jeep Liberty 2004 - $2500

Dodge Ram 2010 - $2800

Pontiac Sunfire 1999 - $2010

Cavalier 1997 - $1600

Isuzu 2005 commercial box van - $1200

These are all actual figures for vehicles our various family members have owned/still own. Of course the actual amounts paid will be less if there is any no claim discount BUT the $2k to $3k figure quoted isn't that far off.

The Sunfire and the Cavalier are near identical vehicles but have $400 difference in insurance costs for some reason.
i've been here 17 years and owned:

chevy nova 1970 something

pont acadian 1980 something

chevy cav x 2

pont sun

audi a 4

I've never been anywhere near those prices you have quoted - i can only assume that not all were 40 percent discounts - cavalier and sunfire were the same - there is a GT version that may be more?

my mrs as a acura tsx and my ex had a jeep something or over - agian no where near the prices that you have quoted. Perhaps they have points and no discounts?

I find it hard to believe that 2004 jeep libery is more to insure than a 30,000 dollar audi that I drive.

Last edited by dboy; Apr 12th 2010 at 5:55 am.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

My experiences since '05 - base price insurance plus $3 million liability, comprehensive and collision. Comprehensive element is with Canadian Direct. Drivers limited to 10yrs+ experience.

2010 Mercedes ML350 $1250
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX $1225
2007 Ford F150 King Ranch $1310
2006 Mazda 3GT $1180
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT $1275

That seems to be a massive difference.

I have just re checked my Dodge papers and the basic autoplan cost is $991, then there's extension to liability for $300, collision for $800 and comprehensive for $1000 so it was actually more than $2800 i quoted but thankfully i don't pay the full whack.
Maybe i should look into alternative optional cover. I do know that i don't have the 10 year plus driver saving as my son sometimes uses the vehicle but even so i cannot see why an F 150 King Ranch would be less than half the cost of a Dodge Ram.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

i've been here 17 years and owned:

chevy nova 1970 something

pont acadian 1980 something

chevy cav x 2

pont sun

audi a 4

I've never been anywhere near those prices you have quoted - i can only assume that not all were 40 percent discounts - cavalier and sunfire were the same - there is a GT version that may be more?

my mrs as a acura tsx and my ex had a jeep something or over - agian no where near the prices that you have quoted. Perhaps they have points and no discounts?

I find it hard to believe that 2004 jeep libery is more to insure than a 30,000 dollar audi that I drive.
Well the paperwork doesn't lie. The figures quoted are Base figures before any discount.

Pontiac Sunfire Basic coverage rate class 003 is $1001 and the Cavalier is also $1001, however the collision and comprehensive are not the same.
The Sunfire has a rate group for collision of 12 the Cavalier is only rate group 6. The Sunfire also has a comprehensive rate group of 11 whereas the Cavalier is only 01. The comprehensive was 3 times more on the Sunfire.

The Jeep has a basic cost of $948 with the options adding a whopping $1528 to the total!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by printer
Well the paperwork doesn't lie. The figures quoted are Base figures before any discount.

Pontiac Sunfire Basic coverage rate class 003 is $1001 and the Cavalier is also $1001, however the collision and comprehensive are not the same.
The Sunfire has a rate group for collision of 12 the Cavalier is only rate group 6. The Sunfire also has a comprehensive rate group of 11 whereas the Cavalier is only 01. The comprehensive was 3 times more on the Sunfire.

The Jeep has a basic cost of $948 with the options adding a whopping $1528 to the total!!
ah, yes if the discount is not included (which is up to 40 percent) - i suspect the sunfire is a gt model (there was a regular version and a more powerful gt model - the cavalier had the z24).

Either way, insurance here is too high, as is most other things in BC.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the fire insurance is what does it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ah, yes if the discount is not included (which is up to 40 percent) - i suspect the sunfire is a gt model (there was a regular version and a more powerful gt model - the cavalier had the z24).

Either way, insurance here is too high, as is most other things in BC.
No the Sunfire was a regular 2 door auto not the GT version whereas the Cavalier was the the Z24 quad cam speedy version (well my son liked it) I would have expected the insurance to be cheaper on the Sunfire.

Going to check out Canadian Direct now.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:15 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back on track to gas prices, I'm constantly amazed at how heavy-footed people are here.

Chevy Suburbans or F-350s launching away from the lights like they're in a drag race. I bet most drivers could quite easily improve their mileage hugely just by driving a bit more thoughtfully.

Also - and I'm going only on my own feeling here - brakes need to be replaced a lot more. In town, people seem to spend more time on their brakes than on the gas pedal. Another 'problem' of automatics, I guess.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Getting back on track to gas prices, I'm constantly amazed at how heavy-footed people are here.

Chevy Suburbans or F-350s launching away from the lights like they're in a drag race. I bet most drivers could quite easily improve their mileage hugely just by driving a bit more thoughtfully.

Also - and I'm going only on my own feeling here - brakes need to be replaced a lot more. In town, people seem to spend more time on their brakes than on the gas pedal. Another 'problem' of automatics, I guess.
Having 4-way stops and lights every 100 yards does wonders for fuel consumption and your brake longevity
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I believe (and I await an engineer to come along and either confirm or rubbish this....) that emission standards in the US and specifically California*, together with poorer fuel quality than in Europe, lead to poorer MPG figures. Plus of course, we have 2.0L in small cars whereas in the UK a small car will have a 1.2L engine.

Diesel vehicles are less prevalent largely due to consumer preference, the poor availability and high cost of clean diesel in North America. Diesel being generally more expensive than gas.

* We may drive Cars that are Canadianised in minor ways - daytime running lights, bi-lingual stickers etc, but cars in Canada are largely built to US performance and emission standards. California (which has the tightest emission controls in the US) is a car market many times the size of Canada. So we don't matter that much.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:48 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a fairly well-accepted "fact" that California has the tightest emissions standards in the world, but how do they compare with the UK's CO2 emissions bands?

Surely a Cadillac Escalade has a vastly higher CO2 rating than a Fiat Panda? So what, exactly, is "tight" about Californian standards, if it still allows Hummers, Suburbans and F-150s to be "everyday vehicles"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.