British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canadianising a resume (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadianising-resume-890267/)

Dorothy Jan 17th 2017 10:45 pm

Canadianising a resume

As we come closer to my partner's visa being finalised we realise that his CV needs a good working over. He's a heavy duty mechanic whose main work has been in the mines in Australia working on mining equipment.

Is there a company that anyone can recommend that will go over his very long and disjointed resume and 1)clean it up and 2)make it more Canadian in presentation?

Oink Jan 17th 2017 11:08 pm

Re: Canadianising a resume

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12154461)
As we come closer to my partner's visa being finalised we realise that his CV needs a good working over. He's a heavy duty mechanic whose main work has been in the mines in Australia working on mining equipment.

Is there a company that anyone can recommend that will go over his very long and disjointed resume and 1)clean it up and 2)make it more Canadian in presentation?

Do it in crayon.

withabix Jan 17th 2017 11:22 pm

A spanner is a wrench...

In all seriousness, google some examples. Don't go in to much detail about anything more than about 10 years old - just list that stuff, unless it is really relevant.

Some say keep it to 2 pages - personally I don't follow that limit in CVs I review or submit...

Don't list GCSE/CSE/GCE grades. They haven't a clue what they are anyway, so just list the subjects. If its more than about 10 years ago, probably just put the number you got...

Don't use American spelling (unless it is an American company).

Tigger1 Jan 17th 2017 11:41 pm

Don't put your marriage status or age either and use bullet points so it's easy to read.

Siouxie Jan 18th 2017 4:30 am

He may need to get certified in Ontario.. Ontario College of Trades » Trade Equivalency Assessment

Dorothy Jan 18th 2017 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12154599)
He may need to get certified in Ontario.. Ontario College of Trades » Trade Equivalency Assessment

We're looking at BC and have started gathering his papers from his apprenticeship 38 <cough> years ago. Thanks though. :)

Yorkiechef Jan 18th 2017 5:08 am

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12154486)
A spanner is a wrench...

In all seriousness, google some examples. Don't go in to much detail about anything more than about 10 years old - just list that stuff, unless it is really relevant.

Some say keep it to 2 pages - personally I don't follow that limit in CVs I review or submit...

Don't list GCSE/CSE/GCE grades. They haven't a clue what they are anyway, so just list the subjects. If its more than about 10 years ago, probably just put the number you got...

Don't use American spelling (unless it is an American company).

A spanner is the poster above you.....got to luv him.

Siouxie Jan 18th 2017 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12154616)
We're looking at BC and have started gathering his papers from his apprenticeship 38 <cough> years ago. Thanks though. :)

Woops! Sorry, thought you were coming back home to Ontario!

Best of luck with your move, regardless!

:)

Zoe Bell Jan 18th 2017 3:25 pm

Dorothy , if you would like to pm me an email address, I have a shed ton of job hunting and resume stuff from when i was "let go" from my previous job, they gave me a "career counselling " package that i'm happy to share

Don't know how much use it will be but you are welcome to it.

Souvy Jan 18th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12155071)
Dorothy , if you would like to pm me an email address, I have a shed ton of job hunting and resume stuff from when i was "let go" from my previous job, they gave me a "career counselling " package that i'm happy to share

Are you missing what this guy does?

I think we can do better than a counselling package;)

Zoe Bell Jan 18th 2017 8:10 pm

yeah probably but it did have templates etc

Dorothy Jan 18th 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12155071)

Thanks Zoe. I'll PM you now. :)