Canadian whisky

Old Apr 2nd 2021, 3:43 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian whisky

[QUOTE=JGK;12990573]I thought that if it was a true Scotch (made in Scotland) it was a Whisky. If it was from outside Scotland it was a Whiskey.

A lot of people will argue the toss about this forever, but at the end of the day it's a phonetic translation from Gaelic so there isn't a correct answer. Spell WISK EEE in English, many ways to skin a cat.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't think it's snobbery, I think names like Scotch, Champagne, Parmigannio have a right to be protected, it's kind of intellectual property. But it's definitely fair to say that there are some excellent sparkinling white wines out there, and whiskies ! What's your friend's distillery/whisky?

I didn't mean snobbery as in the companies protecting their copywright being able to use the name Scotch, Champagne etc, I totally agree with that... I meant more the people drinking it! some would say its not as good if its not a "Scotch" or an "Champagne" which is just not true as you have agreed. I meant more of brand snobbery. by customers.

My friends distillery is called Blacks its based in Peterborough Ontario, he started off with a Vodka and Gin but now does a "Scotch" in about name, a Rye and a Bourbon.... all off them his own recipes. My favourite of his is his gin, its the best I have ever had, its excellent, goes down perfect on a hot summer day.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 1:21 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting; I've had clear rye whiskey before (Calvert's Double Distilled) but Black's White Barley appears to be clear Scotch product*. Kudos to him for taking on such a major project, covering so many categories of liquor and liqueur. If I was there I'd try some of his offerings.
https://blacksdistillery.com/
Old Apr 4th 2021, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Very interesting; I've had clear rye whiskey before (Calvert's Double Distilled) but Black's White Barley appears to be clear Scotch product*. Kudos to him for taking on such a major project, covering so many categories of liquor and liqueur. If I was there I'd try some of his offerings.
https://blacksdistillery.com/
Yes the white Barley is the "Scotch" product. I have said it to him from the start, I though it was very brave of him to start up a brand new buisness, while still doing his orginal job, he was a tool and die maker, all his distilery knowledge is self taught, so I admire him greatly and hope it works out for him, he richly deserves it. He has given up his tool and die job now, (just before covid of course) talk about timing! , I know he has been struggling, but is surviving. So hope he makes it though.

Old Apr 5th 2021, 5:02 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
He's turned!!!

Bourbon is quite interesting, have you tried the Elijah Craig? Quite a different flavour to scotch. And no cheaper.

I found an excellent 100% Rye from Alberta, tall skinny bottle, seemed to be the best of the lot. Guess you know Canadian rye has no minimum % rye content so read the label!
I had to turn.

It's not that I don't love beer, but the absence of a gym during the pandemic made the weekly intake difficult to wear on the body. I have the whiskey with a lot of rocks so it dilutes the sweetness a little but also provides fewer calories and slightly better hydration which lends itself to lesser hangovers and better sleep.

I'm not sure if I got to Elijah Craig but I've been through 8 or 9 of the Bourbon's. I've not gone over $50 a bottle yet but I have felt that when I've touched the cheaper bottles they've not been quite as good. I know it's on the mainstream but Bulleit is probably my favourite. The last bottle I had was the Wild Turkey that I quite liked.

Non- Bourbon I had the Dillons Rye recently which I also enjoyed immensely.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 6:12 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

The Elijah Craig small batch was like $10 off which is unusual for an LCBO offer, I think it was in the 40s, and I was pretty impressed. Didn't buy again because I wasn't in a sipping whisky mood and if you're mixing I use the regular Wisers etc.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 8:10 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'm not sure if I got to Elijah Craig but I've been through 8 or 9 of the Bourbon's. I've not gone over $50 a bottle yet but I have felt that when I've touched the cheaper bottles they've not been quite as good. I know it's on the mainstream but Bulleit is probably my favourite. The last bottle I had was the Wild Turkey that I quite liked.
I've just started with Bourbons and haven't been disappointed yet. I liked Buffalo Trace then upgraded to Eagle Rare (also from BT) which was really smooth. I liked Woodford Reserve as well.

For Canadian Whiskys I'm looking at maybe getting something from Forty Creek.

Last edited by jandro; Apr 8th 2021 at 8:15 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I didn't mean snobbery as in the companies protecting their copywright being able to use the name Scotch, Champagne etc, I totally agree with that... I meant more the people drinking it! some would say its not as good if its not a "Scotch" or an "Champagne" which is just not true as you have agreed. I meant more of brand snobbery. by customers.

My friends distillery is called Blacks its based in Peterborough Ontario, he started off with a Vodka and Gin but now does a "Scotch" in about name, a Rye and a Bourbon.... all off them his own recipes. My favourite of his is his gin, its the best I have ever had, its excellent, goes down perfect on a hot summer day.
Cool, will check it out. I'm always impressed with people who have the gumption to set up a drinks business when the big boys are so dominant.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
The Elijah Craig small batch was like $10 off which is unusual for an LCBO offer, I think it was in the 40s, and I was pretty impressed. Didn't buy again because I wasn't in a sipping whisky mood and if you're mixing I use the regular Wisers etc.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
Cool, will check it out. I'm always impressed with people who have the gumption to set up a drinks business when the big boys are so dominant.

Yes me too, its very brave and very admirable, so I will all I can to support him. My cousin and her husband came over to visit me Christmas before last, I took them to the distillery, they loved it, they were very impressed, and by his infomative warm attitude towards them. They bought quite a bit of stuff to take back to Blighty with them!