Canadian whisky

Old Mar 31st 2021, 10:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian whisky

Seems a bit mean spirited of the Scotch Whisky Association to be clamping down on this BC business. Anyone tried it?

https://globalnews.ca/video/7715218/vancouver-island-distillery-being-sued-by-scotlands-scotch-protector-association

http://globalnews.ca/video/7715218/v...or-association

Old Mar 31st 2021, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian whisky

I get companies and organizations need to defend trademarks, but seems this place consulted with this organization and it was only when they started winning awards that this organization had an issue with it?

I guess a judge will have to sort it all out.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 4:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I get companies and organizations need to defend trademarks, but seems this place consulted with this organization and it was only when they started winning awards that this organization had an issue with it?

I guess a judge will have to sort it all out.
Yeah that seems to be the case. It doesn't seem that the maker is trying to hide its Canadian origin. I suppose it could all be cleared up by putting a maple leaf somewhere on the packaging !
Old Apr 1st 2021, 12:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Seems a bit mean spirited of the Scotch Whisky Association to be clamping down on this BC business. Anyone tried it?

https://globalnews.ca/video/7715218/...or-association

it's not made in Scotland nor the Scottish isles and should not be called Scotch nor implied that it is made there ... no different to other food and drink items that are protected, such as Caerphilly or Wensleydale Cheese.. or the many others...

The lawsuit alleges Macaloney is financially benefiting by using the term “Caledonian” and by referring to the whisky as an “Island Whisky.”

“The expression ‘Caledonian Whisky’ literally tells potential consumers that the associated products are whisky from Scotland,” the suit reads.

Caledonia was the Latin name for the region of Great Britain that includes most of Scotland. New Calendonia was a name given to a region of modern-day British Columbia in the 1800s.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 1:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 1st 2021, 9:12 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Siouxie
it's not made in Scotland nor the Scottish isles and should not be called Scotch nor implied that it is made there ... no different to other food and drink items that are protected, such as Caerphilly or Wensleydale Cheese.. or the many others...
As far as I know they aren't calling it "Scotch" and it has a map of Vancouver Island on the package. Objecting to "Caledonia" is a bit of a stretch, I don't think that many non-Scot Brits, let alone Canadians associate the word with Scotland.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

https://globalnews.ca/video/7715218/...or-association

A Canadian friend of mine owns a distillery, he has made a "Scotch like whiskey" same ingredients, but he can't mention the word Scotch... he said the rules were very clear, just like white sparkling wine cant be called Champagne as its not made in Chamnpagne.... and to be fair I have found a lot of white sparkling wines to be as good or superior to Champagne.... its snobbery to a certain degree I guess, but also protectionism/copywright for the buisness's that are based in Scotland and Champagne.

My friends "Scotch" is real good too!
Old Apr 1st 2021, 1:17 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
A Canadian friend of mine owns a distillery, he has made a "Scotch like whiskey" same ingredients, but he can't mention the word Scotch... he said the rules were very clear, just like white sparkling wine cant be called Champagne as its not made in Chamnpagne.... and to be fair I have found a lot of white sparkling wines to be as good or superior to Champagne.... its snobbery to a certain degree I guess, but also protectionism/copywright for the buisness's that are based in Scotland and Champagne.

My friends "Scotch" is real good too!
I don't think it's snobbery, I think names like Scotch, Champagne, Parmigannio have a right to be protected, it's kind of intellectual property. But it's definitely fair to say that there are some excellent sparkinling white wines out there, and whiskies ! What's your friend's distillery/whisky?
Old Apr 1st 2021, 1:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Suntory whiskey in Japan isn't called Scotch, but everyone knows. The label on Macalone's booze says where it comes from, and the fact that Scottish distillers didn't make a fuss until it started winning awards speaks volumes. Their indignation is now giving the Vancouver Island business a windfall in free advertising.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 3:54 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

That EU-Canada trade deal included Canada applying the "protected" status to food and drink, which could be another reason this dispute seems late- a few years ago there might not have been much basis for a challenge.

What this will do to food in our local grocers (isn't salami now protected?) Is anyone's guess. Plus brexit but I think the UK replicated the Canada deal pretty early on.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 5:11 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

This behaviour doesn't surprise me. You only have to watch Braveheart for the umpteenth time to see the Scots ****ing over the Scots before the English outsmart them.

That being said during the pandemic I've fostered a love for Bourbon and have started to try more Canadian Rye Whiskies.

Canadian's typically don't make anything well but the Rye Whiskies are quite good.

Bourbon is amazing- I wish we had a better selection the LCBO.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 1:14 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

He's turned!!!

Bourbon is quite interesting, have you tried the Elijah Craig? Quite a different flavour to scotch. And no cheaper.

I found an excellent 100% Rye from Alberta, tall skinny bottle, seemed to be the best of the lot. Guess you know Canadian rye has no minimum % rye content so read the label!

Originally Posted by JamesM
This behaviour doesn't surprise me. You only have to watch Braveheart for the umpteenth time to see the Scots ****ing over the Scots before the English outsmart them.

That being said during the pandemic I've fostered a love for Bourbon and have started to try more Canadian Rye Whiskies.

Canadian's typically don't make anything well but the Rye Whiskies are quite good.

Bourbon is amazing- I wish we had a better selection the LCBO.
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 1:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I don't generally buy rye, but once in awhile Wiser's will come up with a small batch commemorative bottle; not the $80 Small Batch but a limited edition they rattle out for just $3 - $4 more than Wiser's Deluxe (last time I had any), and aged a couple of years longer. They've done it with grain elevator shaped bottles for a prairie theme, done it for Sask Roughriders, and one or two others I've bought into. Definitely a cut above the regular. I took an elevator one with the town name Moose Jaw to my friend in Vancouver (he's from the Jaw). He usually drinks Jameson's and they had this elevator on the shelf for maybe 6 - 7 years, then late one night my phone rang and it was him, pissed as a rat saying he and the wife had just drained the elevator and it was fantastic! I think I told him if it wasn't empty it was worth hundreds on ebay.
https://www.icollector.com/WHISKY-BO...APED_i34335301
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 2:21 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that if it was a true Scotch (made in Scotland) it was a Whisky. If it was from outside Scotland it was a Whiskey.

I remember back in the day one of the Japanese brewing companies produced a scotch which the described as "Made from the Finest Scottish Grapes". Didn't last long
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 2:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by JGK
I thought that if it was a true Scotch (made in Scotland) it was a Whisky. If it was from outside Scotland it was a Whiskey.
I remember back in the day one of the Japanese brewing companies produced a scotch which the described as "Made from the Finest Scottish Grapes". Didn't last long
According to this guy..
  • Whisky (no e) refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits.
  • Whiskey (with an e) refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States.
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/whisky-vs-whiskey/
https://www.thekitchn.com/whiskey-vs...-the-di-100476

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.