Canadian Tax Return

Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadian Tax Return

Originally Posted by jimf
No doubt they'll catch up with us in the end. They know where we are if they want it. They must have received our letter saying we had left as the payments stopped shortly afterwards.
Did you give them dates ?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
Did you give them dates ?
Yes we gave them the date we left the UK which was about 3 months previously. ie we had received 3 monthly payments before we let them know. Actually we wrote to them first and they sent a form which we completed and returned.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
I suspect they'll want the money back. We just closed the UK bank account !
It's taken 8 months but they have demanded the money back now.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just out of interest has anyone successfully claimed they were "ordinarily resident" in the UK for child benefit purposes when they were in Canada? Keeping a house in the UK may leave this possibility open for a time at least.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest has anyone successfully claimed they were "ordinarily resident" in the UK for child benefit purposes when they were in Canada? Keeping a house in the UK may leave this possibility open for a time at least.
You cannot be ordinarily resident in more than one country. If you live in Canada, CRA may have something to say about where you are deemed resident. Owning a house overseas is not sufficient. There are plenty of wealthy British expats claiming to not be ordinarily resident with more ties than that.

You may want to think that one out very carefully.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...UK-taxman.html
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You cannot be ordinarily resident in more than one country. If you live in Canada, CRA may have something to say about where you are deemed resident. Owning a house overseas is not sufficient. There are plenty of wealthy British expats claiming to not be ordinarily resident with more ties than that.

You may want to think that one out very carefully.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...UK-taxman.html
For the money involved its probably not worth the hassle and with a bit of luck the Canadian Child Benefit will come on stream this month so we will just have to put up with a gap of 12 months or so with no benefit from either country.

I work in Canada and pay tax here so for me the options are limited. However, mrs jimf doesn't work here so in theory might choose to claim to be ordinarily resident in the UK. However, I wouldn't wish to loose the spouse personal allowance here. Any gain on CHB would probably be offset by a loss here.

I posed the question out of curiousity really. If others had successfully tried this approach I might investigate further but I wouldn't want to be taking the risk of doing something too novel.

From the article it seems the HMRC is taken a new line on interpretation of the guidance to pusue the very wealthy. Whether anyone can truly be said to have cut all ties with the UK seems doubtful. What consitutes cutting all ties - can you visit the UK, telephone someone in the UK, access a UK website without being deemed to have retained a tie with the UK? In theory nearly anyone living overseas could be liable.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

For the money involved its probably not worth the hassle and with a bit of luck the Canadian Child Benefit will come on stream this month so we will just have to put up with a gap of 12 months or so with no benefit from either country.

I work in Canada and pay tax here so for me the options are limited. However, mrs jimf doesn't work here so in theory might choose to claim to be ordinarily resident in the UK. However, I wouldn't wish to loose the spouse personal allowance here. Any gain on CHB would probably be offset by a loss here.

I posed the question out of curiousity really. If others had successfully tried this approach I might investigate further but I wouldn't want to be taking the risk of doing something too novel.

From the article it seems the HMRC is taken a new line on interpretation of the guidance to pusue the very wealthy. Whether anyone can truly be said to have cut all ties with the UK seems doubtful. What consitutes cutting all ties - can you visit the UK, telephone someone in the UK, access a UK website without being deemed to have retained a tie with the UK? In theory nearly anyone living overseas could be liable.
For how much is involved I would not even go there. If CRA or HMRC (worse both) come after you then the loss of the CTB would have seemed a paltry price to pay. If it was doable many would be doing it. If they are, they won't be about to announce it to the world.