Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian supermarkets

Canadian supermarkets

Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian supermarkets

Trader Joe's should be running an ad campaign bragging how their stuff is so good people are smuggling it into Canada and then when that's over try to have Pirate Joe co-opted and with an established customer base fine tune supply so he has what they want and get him a better price point in Wa to reflect increased volume. Even if they still don't get anything at the retail end at least stock levels in the border stores will be constant again
Old Nov 28th 2014, 12:06 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

There's a Trader Joe's down the road from where I currently live. I'm struggling to work out the attraction. Sure it sells nice enough stuff but I'm not sure what's so good about it that an international export operation needs to be running.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 12:19 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
There's a Trader Joe's down the road from where I currently live. I'm struggling to work out the attraction. Sure it sells nice enough stuff but I'm not sure what's so good about it that an international export operation needs to be running.
It's all about Kitsilano (Schizilano), if anything is trendy it'll be trendy there. Mountain Equipment clothes, Blundstones, sushi, anything in the glossy magazines. It only works there and only because it's close to a store in the US.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 4:14 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Pirate Joe's is not competing with local supermarkets.
Of course he is, he can't not be, he's selling the same sort of products in the same place, that's just a basic economic fact. They're both selling food, they're both in Vancouver.

In the US, Trader Joe does, sort of, compete with other supermarkets - it's a bit of a different, kitschy-cool take on the traditional low-cost retailer with lots of private label dry goods.
Look, it's an Aldi. Aldi is a supermarket, it competes with other supermarkets.

it's hardly going to dent the business of Wholefoods Warehouse, is it?
I'm not suggesting that it would, what I'm saying is that for it to even be possible for his business model to work, Canadian supermarkets have got to be perceived to be expensive and not have a particularly good selection. I mean REALLY not have a good selection and be expensive, because let's face it, Aldi ain't that great. Obviously 99.99% of Vancouverites aren't shopping there, but that doesn't disprove what I originally said. Just the fact he can make money on the novelty value of something that isn't really a novelty (because you can drive to the actual shop on the other side of the border) tells you something.

And it's also perfectly obvious from the article that Hallatt is not trying to hide anything from the CBSA. "Hallatt said he never lies at the border, where agents make polite conversation with the pirate they have encountered many times before. [...] The bags of groceries are waived across the border, meticulously logged in the Canadian customs system..."
Precisely, and that is a hell of a hassle, isn't it? Bringing up carloads of shopping at a time? Yet he makes money on it?
Old Nov 28th 2014, 4:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
UK was around 10% cheaper.... could be beer, could be wine, could be the Cheese
Well when I did that price comparison thread booze was definitely one of the things that is more expensive here. I don't drink much so I definitely spend less in Canada.

The thing is that in a lot of parts of Canada you also have the option of going to the US. I mean I know you can go to France or wherever from the UK and get cheaper booze and fags but walking into Fred Meyer's in Bellingham is like walking into Aladdin's Cave compared to Sobey's or Loblaw's (or Thrifty Foods or The Real Canadian Superstore as they're called in Vancouver). Everything is cheaper, except the stuff in the pharmacy.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 4:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Except generics which on my research appear to be cheaper in the US. Lots of $4 and $10 generics down there now.

Granted name brand is cheaper up here, but I am not so sure generics are.
Mmm, I have noticed that too.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I agree...supermarkets way better in the UK. I wish there was an equivalent of M&S food here (I haven't found it if there is) especially at Christmas time

I have done a big order from a UK outlet selling some UK goodies I would usually buy like Celebrations, Baxters chutneys, Malt Loaf, Thorntons advent calendars that sort of thing! My husband ordered some Cullen Skink soup of all things.... I reckon it's one of those expenses to chalk up to being an expat
You can get quite a few UK products at the Bulk Barn, if you have one nearby? Products - Bulk Barn

You can get malt loaf at most supermarkets and there are pretty good British shops in Burlington/Mississauga if you are down this way again.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 28th 2014 at 6:31 am.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 2:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can get quite a few UK products at the Bulk Barn, if you have one nearby?
That's the most useful bit of info anyone has posted on here for ages. Never even occurred to me to look for stuff like that in there.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 2:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
That's the most useful bit of info anyone has posted on here for ages. Never even occurred to me to look for stuff like that in there.
Eh?

Bulk Barn gets a mention every time some elusive Brit stuff is desired. Curly Wurly, club biscuits, walnut whips, Rose's Lime marmalade, Branston pickle etc
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

News to me.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:35 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can get quite a few UK products at the Bulk Barn, if you have one nearby? Products - Bulk Barn

You can get malt loaf at most supermarkets and there are pretty good British shops in Burlington/Mississauga if you are down this way again.

Thanks! I had found the Brit section already- they have lots of cake stuff there so I go there often. Sadly no malt loaf, but they do have a very decent supply of fair trade good chocolate!!
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Eh?

Bulk Barn gets a mention every time some elusive Brit stuff is desired. Curly Wurly, club biscuits, walnut whips, Rose's Lime marmalade, Branston pickle etc
Bulk Barn seemed to be on every corner in Ontario, but is very elusive in BC, so we either have none here, or they don't have many locations.

Which isn't unusual, other companies who are nearly nationwide seem to stop at Alberta...lol
Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:13 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Bulk Barn seemed to be on every corner in Ontario, but is very elusive in BC, so we either have none here, or they don't have many locations.

Which isn't unusual, other companies who are nearly nationwide seem to stop at Alberta...lol
We've them on the Island (at least there's one in Duncan and one in Langford that I know of). I've just scored a 1.25kg tin of quality street and a 750g tub of Celebrations from the guy that runs the UK import wholesalers across from the factory, for $25 the pair! I now owe him some ice cream. Seems only fair.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We've them on the Island (at least there's one in Duncan and one in Langford that I know of). I've just scored a 1.25kg tin of quality street and a 750g tub of Celebrations from the guy that runs the UK import wholesalers across from the factory, for $25 the pair! I now owe him some ice cream. Seems only fair.
Appears to be 14 in BC, one in the Lower Mainland in New West so explains why I have not seen one, I never go to New West , and the rest are on the Island or interior and I never go to those places either...

I venture into them a few times in Ontario, I'd use them here if they ever decide to open a shop up.

I'd also not mind having a Giant Tiger too.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:15 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Thanks! I had found the Brit section already- they have lots of cake stuff there so I go there often. Sadly no malt loaf, but they do have a very decent supply of fair trade good chocolate!!
do you need some Soreen sent up your way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.