Canadian Sayings

Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Sayings

I think asking if you want a "ride" is more appropriate than using the word "lift". To me a lift could be another word for an elevator or "lifting" something up, which is not the same as giving a person a ride in a car!

My neighbour always had some good ones: "I've got a good memory but its short." -- and "I should have stood up - that went right over my head!" When you said something he did not get the meaning of!

Another trivial one I have noticed. I always call it a 'pestle and mortar' -- those things that you use to bash the heck out of herbs and stuff -- over here all the food shows call it a 'mortar and pestle'. I thought it was just me saying it wrong and then I was watching Jamie Oliver and he calls it "pestle and mortar".
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
Are you related to Richard Hammond by chance....I've heard him pronounce it that way and sounds odd to me.
Well I am short and cute.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purley
...I was watching Jamie Oliver...
And they say WE use the F word too much
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:26 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Purley
I think asking if you want a "ride" is more appropriate than using the word "lift". To me a lift could be another word for an elevator or "lifting" something up, which is not the same as giving a person a ride in a car!.
Where I come from if you ask someone for a ride, you'd better have taken them for dinner and dancing first!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:56 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Skookum (means strong)
Chuck (means sea or ocean)

Also recently someone asked me "What would you do if you had your druthers"? Apparently it means "What would you do if you had your own way"?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:40 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

Fine thank you - What they used to respond when the newly arrived Judy used to say, upon being introduced to someone, "How do you do?" When I noticed that I was getting nowhere with that, I changed it to, "Hi, Sally" (or whatever the person's name was). I find that strategy quite useful, in that it helps me to remember the person's name.
a tad - a bit (as in, "I'll have just a tad more of that cake.")
two by four - a piece of lumber (the name is dervied from the fact that the standard piece of wood in the building industry is 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide)
pop - fizzy drink such as Coca Cola
Take care - Often used in addition to, or instead of, Goodbye

Hi, Apart from Kitty Corner and two by four, i use all of these sayings now. Maybe Yorkshire people and Canadians were made from the same kind of stock (good stuff)

Pop = diet coke etc, I may be a tad later than usual and take care of yourself, will see you soon - self explanatory!!!

Emmjay
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:49 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emmjay
two by four - a piece of lumber (the name is dervied from the fact that the standard piece of wood in the building industry is 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide)
No it isn't. Go measure one.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Emmjay
Emmjay
You'd think so but it's not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber
See the chart with Dimensional lumber sizes.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No it isn't. Go measure one.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

This one from a former co-worker of mine and about how I feel these last few weeks.

"I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Not quite a saying, but when I started school over there I was a little startled at the amount of high fivin' that went on. I'd always be that little bit too slow in responding, marked me as an outsider

Use of the term 're-tard' also. Even by people who worked with those with special needs.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy hatter
One I must share with all is from a RCMP member describing the flatness of Sask'

"You can stand on a sardine can and see next Thursday coming"
I thought the song was good....
Attached Files