Canadian Sayings

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:57 am
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadian Sayings

jeez b'y

'good enough'........
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Sorry Judy, they seem very British sayings to me.

Pop isnt new to me either, its used in the NE for fizzy drink.
Tad, used all the time in Britain
Take care, also used in Britain
2 by 4, pronounced 2 be 4, is also used to describe a piece of timber.
Where I'm from it's 4be2 and it means binny.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where I'm from it's 4be2 and it means binny.
Binny? whats binny??

I cant remember whether its 2 be 4 or 4 be 2 now. Oh heck, turning Canadian
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Binny? whats binny??

I cant remember whether its 2 be 4 or 4 be 2 now. Oh heck, turning Canadian
Bin lid, yid.

Actual Canadian expressions I hear are:

"cutie pie" (any woman who is not a "douchebag"). That simple classification accounts for my daughters not being willing to come anywhere near our office.

"jeezly" as an intensifier.

"Mary, Mother of God" used where you'd expect to hear "Lard Tunderin..."
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:33 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

"Mary, Mother of God" used where you'd expect to hear "Lard Tunderin..."
What is that, in ze Eeengleesh ?

R.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
What is that, in ze Eeengleesh ?

R.
Lord Thundering Jesus, a phrase used at the start of a sentence to emphasize or to express surprise at the circumstance described by the rest of the sentence. "Lard tundering, that's some jeezly big squid yous a jigglin'" for example.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

2 by 4, pronounced 2 be 4, is also used to describe a piece of timber.
Are you related to Richard Hammond by chance....I've heard him pronounce it that way and sounds odd to me.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:08 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Lord Thundering Jesus, a phrase used at the start of a sentence to emphasize or to express surprise at the circumstance described by the rest of the sentence. "Lard tundering, that's some jeezly big squid yous a jigglin'" for example.
Ah Newf-speak, now you beez a tarkin fer sur.

R.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Phrases and terms used here in NS:

Bed lunch = bedtime snack

Hogmany is in October

This is my pet hate as it makes me sound like I am wrong - New Glasgow is near the north shore of Nova Scotia. People say they are going UP to Halifax and DOWN to Cape Breton.................................... is their atlas upsidedown ???

On the other hand, people laughed hysterically at me when I said we got our torches out during a powercut. To Canadian's thats a big wooden stick with a huge flame coming out the top. Of course, I should have used the word flashlight
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do

On the other hand, people laughed hysterically at me when I said we got our torches out during a powercut. To Canadian's thats a big wooden stick with a huge flame coming out the top.
Perhaps they thought you were part of a lynch mob.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:05 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

'Right on' people say here as they nod in agreement. I always finish that with pop pickers in my head
'Holy' pronounced 'hoooleee' is a common exclamation of surprise I hear all the time
I do take exception at being asked if I want a ride....no thanks,but a lift would be great!
As OP mentioned kitty corner. I can never work that out, it's just confusing!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:09 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by ellsie
'Right on' people say here as they nod in agreement.
That is going to be my word of the season. Right on.

R.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian Cigarette brands,

Cravan 'A'
Export 'A'
and the popular Du Mauri 'EH'...
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

I deeked out on my Doo while crossong the Muskeg after downing a Mickey of CC i got from the liquour store.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:11 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Steve_P;6837238]He/she bounces around like a fart in a mitt.

QUOTE]

I haven't heard that one before. However I will be using it ALL the time now!! Love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.