Canadian Sayings

Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:15 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Sayings

Regarding the flatness of the prairies "like a fly on a dinner plate" is one i've heard.

Also I know Larry the Cable Guy says it but the phrase "get er done" is common too!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
kitty corner = diagonally across from

Fine thank you - What they used to respond when the newly arrived Judy used to say, upon being introduced to someone, "How do you do?" When I noticed that I was getting nowhere with that, I changed it to, "Hi, Sally" (or whatever the person's name was). I find that strategy quite useful, in that it helps me to remember the person's name.

a tad - a bit (as in, "I'll have just a tad more of that cake.")

two by four - a piece of lumber (the name is dervied from the fact that the standard piece of wood in the building industry is 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide)

pop - fizzy drink such as Coca Cola

Take care - Often used in addition to, or instead of, Goodbye.
x
Sorry Judy, they seem very British sayings to me.

Pop isnt new to me either, its used in the NE for fizzy drink.
Tad, used all the time in Britain
Take care, also used in Britain
2 by 4, pronounced 2 be 4, is also used to describe a piece of timber.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brung Up to Talk Proper

eh? ( used after just about any phrase or sentence - e.g., You're not Canajun,eh? That'll be another $20, eh? Oh, you're leaving, eh? That's too bad, eh?)
dumb as a bag of hammers
useless as tits on a bull (or a boar)
colder than a witch's tit (e.g., winter in Calgary)
up the creek without a paddle
in deep doo doo (both expressions mean in great trouble and have versions describing excrement more bluntly)
absolutely (this is used all the time instead of "yes" - very annoying, probably an import from the US)
hit the spot [usually describes something you've enjoyed eating or drinking - e.g., "that hot chocolate(Salmonella meat loaf, barbecued buffalo droppings etc.) really hit the spot"]
on the money (accurate or exact -e.g., used to indicate you agree with what someone has just said. "Your comments on illiteracy levels were right on the money.")
shakes (=shingles=roofing material, often cedar)
flashing (not indecent exposure, just sealing round chimney outlets)
raised beds (don't try sleeping in them - they're flower or vegetable beds enclosed in frames)
smokies (smoked sausages, not smoked haddock)
tush, keester, butt, buns (gluteus maximus)
basically (a very useful filler - scatter it around anywhere when you can't think of what to say next - e.g., "Well, basically, the way I would tend to see it is ......."
irregardless (no such word but used instead of regardless)
.... and the worst of all but sure to impress, especially in business meetings -"where the rubber hits the road" - means the most important part of a discussion , e.g, telling someone he's where the rubber etc. means he's got to the heart of the matter.
I must desist. I need to put on my wellies and mack and go on a reccie for some bikkies and possibly some bangers,mince, and tatties which I will tuck into along with a brew with a good head on it.
"Why can't the ENGLISH learn how to speak?" (Professor Higgins)
Old Sep 30th 2008, 11:10 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

"gong show" is a favourite amongst my Canadian colleagues.

As in that software release was a total gong show.
That meeting was a complete gong show.

Apparently (correct me if wrong) it is in reference to an old tv show were people got voted off by a big gong for being rubbish.

The over use of this term speaks volumes about our workplace
Old Sep 30th 2008, 11:20 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Retard and Douchbag are commonplace in mine

Didnt we outlaw the term Retard many years ago in the UK, and they still use Handicapped on the parking sign's in the bays here wich im sure they dont use anymore in the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Fer sure.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:12 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Regarding the flatness of the prairies "like a fly on a dinner plate" is one i've heard.

Also I know Larry the Cable Guy says it but the phrase "get er done" is common too!
Git'er'done

Two'fer (24 cold brews)
flat (flat pack of brews)
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

16oc = 16 on centre = seems to be a term used in the construction industry to describe an average approximate spacing of consecutive posts that are nearly but not quite approaching vertical in a standard stud wall. Infuriatingly it is also the absolute exact measurement with zero tolerance of the distance between screw holes pre-drilled in anything you might want to hang on said wall
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:21 pm
Banned

pamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nice

"suck it up, princess"

... well, I've heard it.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Solarfish
16oc = 16 on centre = seems to be a term used in the construction industry to describe an average approximate spacing of consecutive posts that are nearly but not quite approaching vertical in a standard stud wall.
It is also leaves precisely the correct spacing (14.5") for friction fit fibreglass batt insulation for outside walls.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:26 pm

He/she bounces around like a fart in a mitt.

He/she finds it difficult to stay on task.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pamplemousse
"suck it up, princess"

... well, I've heard it.
Yep have had that one said to me too
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pamplemousse
"suck it up, princess"
Now would that be a direct reply to my whinging ?
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It is also leaves precisely the correct spacing (14.5") for friction fit fibreglass batt insulation for outside walls.
Of course it is, and the 24oc for ceiling joists makes putting up batt insulation a breeze there too, except for the bits where it is actually 25oc or 26oc and you are left standing on a ladder holding the loose batt up with one hand, the vapour barrier with the other, spitting out a mouthful of fibres and wondering what the hell you are going to swing the stapler with.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Of course it is, and the 24oc for ceiling joists makes putting up batt insulation a breeze there too, except for the bits where it is actually 25oc or 26oc and you are left standing on a ladder holding the loose batt up with one hand, the vapour barrier with the other, spitting out a mouthful of fibres and wondering what the hell you are going to swing the stapler with.
You are becoming assimilated, welcome to the Canadian collective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.