Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian Resume help please :)

Canadian Resume help please :)

Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

KungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Resume help please :)

Hi everyone

I took the plunge and made an EE profile scoring 430 points a few months ago - its never gone that low but nothing ventured etc!

I'm now looking online to try and find full time work relating to education management which is my background here in the UK to help me secure a route into Canada. I've found a job that I may go for at Mount Allison University and know there are a few academics here on BE who might know more about this place! So my questions are:

- does anyone have any resume templates or links that would be helpful for me? I've done the obvious searches on Google but can't seem to find anything concrete to use....
- does anyone have any experience of Mount Allison that might be helpful for me to know? Happy to have this PMd to me
- any other tips that might help me find work? I'm really looking for anything related to education but not teaching (done enough of that ), all my previous experience in the UK has been in colleges managing curriculum areas

any help at all gratefully received!!

thanks in advance

KFPUK
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Resume help please :)

I know nothing about the world of education but when I changed my resume my main focus was on changing my job titles to the Canadian equivalents. I left the format as is. To give you an example of how the format is obviously ok is that I applied for 6 jobs recently, got three interviews and was offered all three! 😊
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KungFuPandaUK
Hi everyone

I took the plunge and made an EE profile scoring 430 points a few months ago - its never gone that low but nothing ventured etc!

I'm now looking online to try and find full time work relating to education management which is my background here in the UK to help me secure a route into Canada. I've found a job that I may go for at Mount Allison University and know there are a few academics here on BE who might know more about this place! So my questions are:

- does anyone have any resume templates or links that would be helpful for me? I've done the obvious searches on Google but can't seem to find anything concrete to use....
- does anyone have any experience of Mount Allison that might be helpful for me to know? Happy to have this PMd to me
- any other tips that might help me find work? I'm really looking for anything related to education but not teaching (done enough of that ), all my previous experience in the UK has been in colleges managing curriculum areas

any help at all gratefully received!!

thanks in advance

KFPUK
I know a bit about Mount Allison U. It's a small undergrad only university in a small town 40 minutes drive from Moncton BristolUK is the resident expert on the latter.

Student population is 2250 and Sackville has 5500 permanent residents. Mount A has a good reputation within its undergrad only category, but isn't much different from the colleges in, for example, Ontario.

I know something of it because (a) I used to act as a reviewer for NSERC's Small University Grant Panel and (b) because I once had a grad student who had done his BSc there (he was quite successful really).

I don't know if any of this is useful to you.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

KungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond reputeKungFuPandaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I know nothing about the world of education but when I changed my resume my main focus was on changing my job titles to the Canadian equivalents. I left the format as is. To give you an example of how the format is obviously ok is that I applied for 6 jobs recently, got three interviews and was offered all three! 😊
Hi DandNHill
That's really useful thanks! I'll take the same approach as yours was so successful and well done on the job offers
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know a bit about Mount Allison U. It's a small undergrad only university in a small town 40 minutes drive from Moncton BristolUK is the resident expert on the latter.

Student population is 2250 and Sackville has 5500 permanent residents. Mount A has a good reputation within its undergrad only category, but isn't much different from the colleges in, for example, Ontario.

I know something of it because (a) I used to act as a reviewer for NSERC's Small University Grant Panel and (b) because I once had a grad student who had done his BSc there (he was quite successful really).

Hi Novocastrian

That is useful, all info is as a newbie to this all! Thanks, sounds like it could be a good fit for me and hope BristolUK can give me some more insights soon. .. 🙄
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:34 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Is education management LMartin100's specialty?
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

google is your friend on this one, see samples below

Dr. Karen’s Rules of the Academic CV | The Professor Is In

Dr. Mikko Karttunen - Resume

https://www.cs.sfu.ca/~jcliu/

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/downloads/drsuzukiCV.pdf

Dr. Thomas Thundat - Department of Chemical & Materials Engineering - University of Alberta
Old Jan 30th 2017, 6:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Is education management LMartin100's specialty?
Not exactly, but close. Good idea.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

This is great not2old! Thanks very much, I really appreciate it
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Not exactly, but close. Good idea.
Look forward to hearing from him