Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian experiences...

Canadian experiences...

Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian experiences...

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Which only goes to show that Canada is a big place and that I'm glad not to live in the vast majority of it.
Mayor of Toronto:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...n-vote495.html

Mayor of Calgary:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1762765/
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:37 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Snowmobiling. Just in general but also specifically snowmobiling to the Gorge in Gros Morne National Park. That's one of those 'I'm not in Essex' anymore moments.

ATV'ing. Access to 100's km's of logging roads, pole-lines and general wilderness. Very different from greenlaning in the UK.

Sailing around an Iceberg. And an oil rig.

Government (provincial) control of booze distribition and pricing.

Interminable beauracracy.

Unions. Seniority and other bullshit. (Although this is North American rather than exclusively Canadian).

Having a buddy who is a Mountie.

Living in a place that no-one had ever heard of before I moved here.

Explaining to people that you can't drive from Newfoundland to Toronto or Vancouver. Or at least not in a day.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Who mentioned crackers in soup? It's just plain weird.

Going to a fancy restaurant and seeing smart, well-dressed, apparently civilized-looking people eating like chimpanzees, and wielding cutlery like they've never seen a knife before.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Reading that a Gatineau cop recently nicked the city's mayor for jaywalking.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that the cops and the city had been in a pay dispute for four years.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Going to a fancy restaurant and seeing smart, well-dressed, apparently civilized-looking people eating like chimpanzees, and wielding cutlery like they've never seen a knife before.
Ha. An icy appraisal of one of my daughters' more dubious conquests started "he eats like a Canadian".
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:00 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ha. An icy appraisal of one of my daughters' more dubious conquests started "he eats like a Canadian".
Not an unreasonable observation. Canadians in general struggle with cutlery.

Some of my in-laws struggle with the concept of bringing food from the plate to the mouth. It appears to be easier to reduce the distance by actually putting your head in the plate.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:22 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

The first time I ever visited Canada (14 years ago) was to meet my now in-laws..

They invited the various members of the family (11 of us in all) & laid on a turkey dinner with all of the trimmings.
Being English I politely waited as the scrummage began & by the time the gravy had settled I realised that was absolutely no food left for me to eat.
This caused equal amounts of hilarity & scorn from my hosts & I ended up sharing the minuscule plate of food my wife had managed to throw together during the free for all..

I've always assumed it's the pioneer culture ensuring that only the strong survive, judging by the amount of emaciated children I see with morbidly obese parents...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:35 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
The first time I ever visited Canada (14 years ago) was to meet my now in-laws..

They invited the various members of the family (11 of us in all) & laid on a turkey dinner with all of the trimmings.
Being English I politely waited as the scrummage began & by the time the gravy had settled I realised that was absolutely no food left for me to eat.
This caused equal amounts of hilarity & scorn from my hosts & I ended up sharing the minuscule plate of food my wife had managed to throw together during the free for all..

I've always assumed it's the pioneer culture ensuring that only the strong survive, judging by the amount of emaciated children I see with morbidly obese parents...
That sounds all too familiar. At our tribal gatherings, by the time the last person has been served, the first few will have finished and buggered off back to the TV.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:41 pm
recycled member

peas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That sounds all too familiar. At our tribal gatherings, by the time the last person has been served, the first few will have finished and buggered off back to the TV.

Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm wow there are so many.......

People being insulted when you say "Excuse me".

Eating leftovers for lunch.

People saying that they they are "(insert nationality here) Canadian".

Seeing people skiing to the store during a snow storm.

Seeing kids wearing what look like PJ bottoms and slippers to school.

Thinking that -20 isnt that cold.

Only using a fork to eat your dinner with.

im sure il think of more, they just seem normal now.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Sockets ( recepticals ) that spark when you plug anything in.

Oh, and people saying "It's all good" makes me want to projectile vomit.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:13 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Going to the Mounties musical ride - and sitting to watch it on one of those folding lawn chairs with the cup holders that everyone has here
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/mr-ce/centre-eng.htm

Having the inside of my nose freeze for the first time in winter

Buying and planting plants in my garden during the May 2-4 holiday weekend along with everyone else in the city
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

God yes, what is it with that?? Used to drive me nuts!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:21 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
God yes, what is it with that?? Used to drive me nuts!!!!
We ate in, what is possibly, Halifax's currently trendiest restaurant last week (Somebody else's treat).

The waiting staff & food were passable (Hardly a revelation) but the other diners were bizarre. We were surrounded by the great & the good of Halifax, wealthy & what passes for well dressed, & they behaved like spoiled, ill mannered kids..

It was a surreal experience akin to being surrounded by pigs dressed as people.

I kept expecting Terry Gilliam to jump out & yell cut...
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
It was a surreal experience akin to being surrounded by pigs dressed as people.
They had probably come from their Animal Farm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.