Canadian Citizenship

Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:57 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Citizenship

Hi all,

Quick question, please...when going for Canadian Citizenship, do you have to show your PR card? Ours are going to expire in August but hoping our test date will come through very soon as it's been almost 19 months!

Thank you
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:16 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship

When you go for the test they will take your card & other documentation - COPR - for validation. When you attend the citizenship ceremony itself, they take your PR card from you and give you a Citizenship card in it's place. That being said, I have no idea whether you need to have a valid PR card for this process.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What to bring to the citizenship ceremony

You must bring all of your original immigration documents to the citizenship ceremony.

If you have a permanent resident card, you must bring it with you.

If you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002, you must bring your Record of Landing (IMM 1000).

If you have both of those documents, bring both of them to the ceremony

It doesnt state about the PR card being valid. There is no legal requirement to have the PR card unless travelling.
IRPA does not require permanent residents in Canada to hold a PR card nor to have one when they present themselves at a port of entry.
I would contact CIC about expired PR cards if close to obtaining citizenship.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What to bring to the citizenship ceremony

You must bring all of your original immigration documents to the citizenship ceremony.

If you have a permanent resident card, you must bring it with you.

If you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002, you must bring your Record of Landing (IMM 1000).

If you have both of those documents, bring both of them to the ceremony

It doesnt state about the PR card being valid. There is no legal requirement to have the PR card unless travelling.
IRPA does not require permanent residents in Canada to hold a PR card nor to have one when they present themselves at a port of entry.
I would contact CIC about expired PR cards if close to obtaining citizenship.
That reminds me of the time when a friendly CSBO officer laughed at me when I presented my IMM 1000 (never having bothered to apply for a PR card). "That's worthless now" said he, and dropped it on the floor.

I stayed cool and picked it up again, saying, ah well for old times sake.

I never did apply for a PR card, but when I got citizenship, I handed in the IMM1000 and that was fine.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Our PR cards had expired when we handed them in for the test and the ceremony. We were winging it, hoping the citizenship would come through just after they ran out, and it did.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:35 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bearing Novo's and FL's responses.....what is the purpose of a PR card? When are you meant to present it? I am hoping one will be waiting for me in NB, and am slightly nervous about travelling without one. Was it once more important than it is now? My bank in Canada have said they would like to see it when I get it - why might they want to see it?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bearing Novo's and FL's responses.....what is the purpose of a PR card? When are you meant to present it? I am hoping one will be waiting for me in NB, and am slightly nervous about travelling without one. Was it once more important than it is now? My bank in Canada have said they would like to see it when I get it - why might they want to see it?
When you re-enter Canada
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:00 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi all,

Quick question, please...when going for Canadian Citizenship, do you have to show your PR card? Ours are going to expire in August but hoping our test date will come through very soon as it's been almost 19 months!

Thank you
Why would you want citizenship when you have spent a good deal of time on here saying how unhappy you've been in Canada, slagging off the country for such life changing things things as the lack of prawn crackers and are set to leave and booked on the QE II next August ?
Another "fair weather" citizen or Canadian of Convenience.
Maybe there should be some sort of "Non Resident" Tax. If you want the privilege of a Canadian Passport but are a tax resident somewhere else you have to pay an annual tax of say $2,500.
As an example, folks with Canadian passports who were living permanently in Lebanon cost the taxpayers a reported $94 million to evacuate 15,000 of them in 2006 because of a conflict there. As soon as things quietened down 7,000 or so returned to Lebanon since they never had any intention of living here. They just want a passport of convenience ! That shouldn't be a problem as long as they are prepared to pay for that privilege.
Why should the good tax payers of this land be forced to shell out for people who have no loyalty to it or intention to contribute to its welfare and simply want a Passport of Convenience ?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No you don't need a valid PR card.

What they're really keen on though is your list of absences from Canada, they were really picky about it when I went to the federal building and they went through people's passports.

In front of me in line was an American girl who didn't have a passport, only a NEXUS card, that was a bit of a poser for them, basically it was "um err okay we'll take your word for it then".

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 25th 2012 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:08 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your replies, very helpful

I knew somebody would criticize me for obtaining citizenship when I am leaving next year. Simon, yes I have critizised certain things in Canada along with most other people on this board but that does not mean I do not like it here.

Canada has been very good to us, we were very fortunate to obtain jobs very quickly after arriving here, we have a beautiful home, 2 cars, kids are doing well at school, etc, etc....

Unfortunately I have not settled but that is due to personnal circumstances. We have had a lot of sh1t happen within my family over the last couple of years which has just knocked me back. That is all.

Many people have experienced home sickness and I have experienced it a lot, due to these knocks I haven't been settled for the past 4 years. No-one can say I haven't given it my all as I have been here 5 years and will be 6 by the time we leave.

We made the citizenship application before making the final decision to return, but it now gives us options in the future as we may return in 10 - 20 years time to Canada. It also gives our kids options for their future.

At this time in my life I want to be in England. In 10 years time I may want to be in Canada. Never say never.

Is that OK?

Last edited by Lorry1; Jun 25th 2012 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We're considering pastures new in the future too, but still applying for our citizenship. Our children are Canadian, and we think it's the best thing to do for them, and for the unknown future.

If you'd like to see a non-resident tax for Canadians living elsewhere, surely you should be paying something to the UK as we speak for the same reason?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if your children are Canadian they dont need citizenship
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:18 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
We're considering pastures new in the future too, but still applying for our citizenship. Our children are Canadian, and we think it's the best thing to do for them, and for the unknown future.

If you'd like to see a non-resident tax for Canadians living elsewhere, surely you should be paying something to the UK as we speak for the same reason?
Hardly. There is a large difference between natural born citizenship and adopted citizenship. If all you want is a citizenship of convenience then there should be a fee for that, sort of like an insurance premium. Natural born citizenship is hardly one of convenience.
I do not even have a British Passport or any intentions of returning there "for convenience".
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Hardly. There is a large difference between natural born citizenship and adopted citizenship. If all you want is a citizenship of convenience then there should be a fee for that, sort of like an insurance premium. Natural born citizenship is hardly one of convenience.
I do not even have a British Passport or any intentions of returning there "for convenience".
I agree with your distinction about natural born and naturalized citizenship. I’d also add if naturalized citizens are out their adopted country for more two months or more at a time they should lose they’re citizenship. Too many people just get it so they can play the system.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:44 pm
Bon Vivant

Originally Posted by Oink
I agree with your distinction about natural born and naturalized citizenship. I’d also add if naturalized citizens are out their adopted country for more two months or more at a time they should lose they’re citizenship. Too many people just get it so they can play the system.
Nice one.
How about as long as Canada is your tax domicile you are OK ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.