Canadian authors

Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian authors

Originally Posted by greentea3
Thanks for the recommendation Alex, I'll put it on my list to try.
You might want to try Robert Munsch, he's a little quirky but he's probably what you're looking for. Good luck with your Canadian literary adventure.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:46 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
You might want to try Robert Munsch, he's a little quirky but he's probably what you're looking for. Good luck with your Canadian literary adventure.
Yeah, my younger kids really like his stuff. Thanks Oink.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my younger kids really like his stuff. Thanks Oink.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:01 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
I get the feeling that I may be understanding you a little bit
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.

http://www.canlit.ca/reviews.php?id=13918

I'd also go with the Margaret Atwood recommendations.

Another couple of good ones are:

Stanley Park by Timothy Taylor and
The Time in Between by David Bergen

Last edited by MrsDV; Aug 8th 2010 at 11:53 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Whilst on our recce trip the other week travelling through the boonies, we saw a lot of advertising for a book by Brian Horeck called 'Frozen Beneath'. We ended up buying it and I'm currently enjoying reading it.

It occured to me then that I couldn't name any Canadian authors (apart from Brian Horeck) so I wondered if any of you have read any good books by Canadians and if so what were they?
I read any crap (well, at least the first sentence . . .) and include the following as some of my Canlit faves (fic & and n.f.):

Gabrielle Roy - The Tin Flute *[best Canadian novel evah!]
Mordecai Richler - The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, St. Urbain's Horseman, Solomon Gursky Was Here, Oh Canada! Oh Quebec! Requiem for a Divided Country.
Susanna Moodie - Roughing it in the Bush
Douglas Coupland - Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, City of Glass
Michel Tremblay - Les Belles-SÅ“urs, Quarante-quatre minutes, quarante-quatre secondes
Hugh MacLennan - Two Solitudes
Michael Ondaatje - In the Skin of a Lion, Running in the Family, The Collected Works of Billy the Kid
Stephen Leacock - Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town
Marie-Claire Blais - La Belle Bete, A Season in the Life of Emmanuel, L'ÃŽle
John Richardson - Wacousta
Naomi Klein - No Logo
Gwynne Dyer - War, With Every Mistake, Climate Wars
Farley Mowat - Lost in the Barrens, Never Cry Wolf,
Marian Engel - Bear
Roch Carrier - The Hockey Sweater
Timothy Findley - The Wars, Elizabeth Rex,

p.s. Can't tolerate anything Margaret Atwood (at least anything after Surfacing). She's the Canadian answer to Jeffrey Archer. Once saw Chuck Palahniuk answer, with a smirk, a question re Atwood something thus: "Who the ʞɔnɟ is Magreet Atwood?"
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:56 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Google the list of Booker prize nominees in the last few years and you will see that Canadian authors are producing literature that is worthy of respect.

Three that I have enjoyed are Alistair MacLeod, Wayson Choy and Alice Munro.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Robertson Davies is also good.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
But haven't read any of them?? I like her early stuff otherwise it's annoying

Try
Lawrence Hill; Any Known Blood. The book of Negroes

Timothy Findlay; Not Wanted on the Voyage. You Went Away. The Butterfly Plague

Margaret Lawrence: The Stone Angels

Robertson Davies

Wayson Choy: All That Matters

Vincent Lam: Blood Letting an Miraculous Cures
You just took pretty much all my recommendations. Timothy Findlay in particular - Not Wanted On Voyage is one of SWMBO's favouritest books in the whole wide world ever ever. As for Atwood, of her relatively more recent stuff I quite enjoyed Oryx and Crake and The Blind Assassin.

I'd add Mordecai Richler (Barney's Version, the Jacob Two-Two children's books), Rohinton Mistry (Such a Long Journey, A Fine Balance), Michael Ondaatje (The English Patient, Anil's Ghost) and William Gibson (Neuromancer, The Difference Engine) to that list.

Oh, I see dthomas has beaten me to it, I must actually follow some of his recommendations - I remember some of those authors from a previous CanLit thread and still haven't got round to reading Michel Tremblay, not even in translation
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Guy Vanderhaeghe is a very good writer from Saskatchewan - which may sound like I'm damning him with faint praise, but I'm not.

I Heard the Owl Call my Name, by Margaret Craven (an American but the story is set on an Indian Reserve in BC) is also good.

W O Mitchell - "Who Has Seen the Wind" is also a Canlit must read.

W P Kinsella can also be added to the list.

I just read the "Book of Negroes" recently (mentioned above) - an excellent and very moving book.

Barbara Gowdy - The White Bone is a very moving novel written through the eyes of an elephant!

Last edited by triumphguy; Aug 9th 2010 at 8:42 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy

Barbara Gowdy - The White Bone is a very moving novel written through the eyes of an elephant!
wouldn't that make the nib of the pen a bit soggy?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Coat.

My local library marks the spines of books by Canadian authors with a maple leaf. I like the simplicity of this idea and because of it I did read a couple of excellent books by a Toronto based Chinese Canadian. Especially interesting as they were about experiences of Chinese people immigrating to small Ontario towns.

I'll google and see if it can come up with her name

edt: Judy Fong Bates, Midnight at the Dragon Cafe

Last edited by fledermaus; Aug 9th 2010 at 11:07 pm. Reason: book added
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Nice one!

It's a good book though. Or maybe I'm just attracted to cute older blonde authors?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're tired of living and want something to drag unto your death bed there's Michael Ondaatje.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Guy Vanderhaeghe is a very good writer from Saskatchewan - which may sound like I'm damning him with faint praise, but I'm not.

I Heard the Owl Call my Name, by Margaret Craven (an American but the story is set on an Indian Reserve in BC) is also good.

W O Mitchell - "Who Has Seen the Wind" is also a Canlit must read.

W P Kinsella can also be added to the list.

I just read the "Book of Negroes" recently (mentioned above) - an excellent and very moving book.

Can't believe I forgot Shoeless Joe! Great novel. Kinsella's ss collection Dance Me Outside is also quite impressive.

On the topic of 1st Nations People, Tomson Highway wrote three decent plays - The Rez Sisters, Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing and Rose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.