Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
An annual 'target' is an unusually Canadian thing - it's not as though the target and reality are in some way out of whack. Some of the streams go slightly over annual targets, others are some way under. Claiming 'other countries might not want what they get' is pretty meaningless - in 2016 we looked for 305,000 and got 320,000. The plan is to increase that slightly. Towards numbers that were achieved a hundred years ago, when Canada was a much smaller country.

Whether or not America 'asks' for 1m people has nothing to do with anything - you asserted that Canada was going to "want 1Mn immigrants over the next 3 years, far higher than any other developed country on Earth". The figure, of around 330,000/year, is around 1/3 of the southern neighbour. It's true, that per capita, this means welcoming approximately 0.8%, instead of 0.3%. Per capita, Canada still has lower immigration than Cyprus, Spain, and Norway, coming in 19th according to US CIA World Factbook (I'm guessing you're writing off Qatar, the UAE, and Singapore as undeveloped, and would call special cases Aruba and Luxembourg). https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2112rank.html. Canada's on a par with Australia, another nation built on immigrants, and Belgium and Sweden.

Of course, if you're truly worried there are too many foreigners here, I'm sure IRCC would take back your CoPR if you wanted to send it to them.
I think New Zealand still use targets and Australia and Singapore have had them in the past.

I'm not worried about anything tbh, just interested in people's opinions. Canada seems to be absorbing a lot of people by intention and I'm interested to know what the motivations are for that and how the social and employment systems in Canada are currently managing the influx.

I have nothing against Qatar or the UAE btw. I've never been to either and don't know much about them really.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
The UK figure you've included there is largely irrelevant because that was an actual number of arrivals and the way these counts work in the UK is a bit ridiculous.
Close enough. What I should have excluded was returning Brits, which takes the immigration numbers down from 572,000 to 493,000 (230,000 EU, 263,000 non-EU).

Additionally, that wasn't a target figure. The UK's target for that period would probably have been around 10-20% of that.
Why would you suggest 10-20% as a target. That's only circa 57-114,000 on my original figure of 572,000 and 50-100,000 when discarding the number of returning Brits. And as you mentioned in another post on a different thread, the Tories have been promising (and failing) reduce migration to 100,000 per year since 2010.

Why do people come to the UK? (2) To work

2. Work immigration: latest trends
Year ending March 2016 Year ending March 2017 Change Percentage change
Work-related visas granted 163,783 164,168 +385 0%
of which:
High value (Tier 1) visas 4,771 4,677 -94 -2%
Skilled (Tier 2) visas 91,797 93,566 +1,769 +2%
Youth mobility and temporary workers (Tier 5) visas 43,574 41,798 -1,776 -4%
Non-PBS/Other work visas 23,641 24,127 +486 +2%
As I understand, that 970k target number is for foreign newly arriving Canadian permanent residents.
Understand, or checked and verified?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 12:07 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment in Canada is at it's lowest in years.

There is ample space.

The population is ageing and much like the rest of the western world these entitled baby boomers expect to be taken care of.

For the place to have any significance in the world it needs people.

It can take on one million people in 3 years no problem.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 8:03 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Close enough. What I should have excluded was returning Brits, which takes the immigration numbers down from 572,000 to 493,000 (230,000 EU, 263,000 non-EU).

Why would you suggest 10-20% as a target. That's only circa 57-114,000 on my original figure of 572,000 and 50-100,000 when discarding the number of returning Brits. And as you mentioned in another post on a different thread, the Tories have been promising (and failing) reduce migration to 100,000 per year since 2010.

Why do people come to the UK? (2) To work

Understand, or checked and verified?
IIRC since the early days of Cameron the Conservatives have been promising to reduce UK immigration to the "tens of thousands". I always interpreted that as meaning closer to 10k than 100k.

This is a discussion about Canada though and as far as I know Canada is one of the few major countries still actively trying to recruit immigrants from overseas.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC since the early days of Cameron the Conservatives have been promising to reduce UK immigration to the "tens of thousands". I always interpreted that as meaning closer to 10k than 100k.

This is a discussion about Canada though and as far as I know Canada is one of the few major countries still actively trying to recruit immigrants from overseas.
Yes, it's a discussion about Canada, which you claimed something about was going take more immigrants than any other developed country. Which you've been proved wrong on by at least 2 posters.

I'm not sure 'actively recruit' is the right term, though. Actively welcoming may be a better choice, and maybe that's because as someone else put it, Canada has an ageing population.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 1:59 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Immigrants from overseas ! Wow, what a novel idea. Where have they come from before now ?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yes, it's a discussion about Canada, which you claimed something about was going take more immigrants than any other developed country. Which you've been proved wrong on by at least 2 posters.

I'm not sure 'actively recruit' is the right term, though. Actively welcoming may be a better choice, and maybe that's because as someone else put it, Canada has an ageing population.
Again, no I didn't. I said that Canada's targets were higher than those published by any other country. The European situation is very different and very few EU countries actually seek immigrants out or take efforts to encourage legal immigration as far as I know.

If the current employment market is as promising as an earlier poster suggested though then they may be doing the right thing.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Immigrants from overseas ! Wow, what a novel idea. Where have they come from before now ?
Students and temporary workers.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:03 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Students and temporary workers.
And these students and temporary workers came from where ?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Canada, which you claimed something about was going take more immigrants than any other developed country...
Again, no I didn't. I said that Canada's targets were higher than those published by any other country...
Well it really does sound like the same thing. I mean one assumes that a target is something desired, although there is the possibility that a target won't be reached, perhaps knowingly even.

However, in your opening post you did, in fact, say "The current government want 1Mn immigrants over the next 3 years, far higher than any other developed country on Earth."
Maybe you changed your mind or wording in a subsequent post but "far higher than any other developed country on Earth" really fits "more than any other developed country" more than the, frankly, weak and watered down version of targets being higher than those "published" by others.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

And these students and temporary workers came from where ?
All over the world. Canada is a pretty diverse place.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

All over the world. Canada is a pretty diverse place.
So overseas then....are you having a bad day?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:44 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So overseas then....are you having a bad day?
Don't be silly. A lot of people used to head to Canada on temporary status and then change to PR later. I'm not sure if those routes are as popular now that eligibility requirements for permanent residence have been expanded though.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:52 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

The USA. Thousands of United Empire Loyalists migrated to Canada after the American Revolution for example. Hundreds of thousands of Canadians (maybe millions) can trace their ancestry to them.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

To be fair, Canadians and Americans have always had issues with immigrants. The first derogatory term used was 'white people'..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.