British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Is Canada really better than the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canada-really-better-than-usa-589285/)

act1980 Feb 4th 2009 7:21 pm

Is Canada really better than the USA?

Sorry if this has been covered before but lately I have been hearing a lot about Canada being on a par with the US. Especially the crime rate! But I find it hard to belive that Canada can have the same amount of crime as the US when they have a 30o million population and Canada only has 30 million:confused:

I would just like to know if Canada really is that much better than the US and if so, why?

Thank you:thumbup:

Atlantic Xpat Feb 4th 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Is Canada really better than the USA?

It's similar in one respect: As a massive country, generalisations are almost always meaningless.

dbd33 Feb 4th 2009 7:27 pm

Melancthon, Canada is better in every regard than East Saint Louis, America.

dbd33 Feb 4th 2009 7:27 pm

Malibu, America is better than Mississauga, Canada.

Souvenir Feb 4th 2009 7:55 pm

Youngstown, Ohio, is not preferable to Hamilton, Ontario. Maybe.

Bill_S Feb 4th 2009 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 7248928)
I would just like to know if Canada really is that much better than the US and if so, why?

Like AX said, a broad, general answer to that question is impossible. I was born and raised in Canada. I now live in the US. My day-to-day life in the US is much the same as it was in Canada.

There are bad areas in the US. There are bad areas in Canada. Most of the US is perfectly safe. Most of Canada is perfectly safe.

Bill_S Feb 4th 2009 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7249064)
Youngstown, Ohio, is not preferable to Hamilton, Ontario. Maybe.

My wife's from the Youngstown area. I think Hamilton is preferred.

jmh Feb 4th 2009 8:02 pm

Hmmm... there was another thread recently showing crime stats in Canada were higher than the UK. Perhaps it would be safer in the UK:D Just joshing ya!!

Souvenir Feb 4th 2009 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 7249077)
My wife's from the Youngstown area. I think Hamilton is preferred.

Youngstown scared me.

Hobbess Feb 4th 2009 8:23 pm

Amazingly Yes

Amazingly No

clynnog Feb 4th 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7248950)
Melancthon, Canada is better in every regard than East Saint Louis, America.

Wow, ESL must be bad.....:eek:

All kidding aside, ESL, Gary IN, Camden, NJ and parts of Detroit are some of the worst places in the US I've been to.

I think it is safe to say that the most affluent places in the US are more affluent than their Canadian contemporaries but on the other hand, America's slums put Canada's to shame in pure grottiness and craptastic squallor.

http://vimeo.com/2371774

This movie could have been shot in Detroit, Gary or ESL....they are somewhat interchangeable in terms of their de-population over the ages and downward spiral.

MB-Realtor Feb 4th 2009 8:32 pm

I can not see any great difference between life styles in Winnipeg to Grand Forks or Fargo other than the roads are better maintained in the US.

The Houses, Cars, Movies, Concerts, Stores etc etc are much the same, as are the people. Prices for most things are cheaper in the US.

The biggest difference is in Canada you are not likely to go bankrupt if you have to pay for a long term illness.

Hand gun's are not as popular in Canada, but long guns are just as popular.

act1980 Feb 4th 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor (Post 7249220)
I can not see any great difference between life styles in Winnipeg to Grand Forks or Fargo other than the roads are better maintained in the US.

The Houses, Cars, Movies, Concerts, Stores etc etc are much the same, as are the people. Prices for most things are cheaper in the US.

The biggest difference is in Canada you are not likely to go bankrupt if you have to pay for a long term illness.

Hand gun's are not as popular in Canada, but long guns are just as popular.

That is something I have noticed. Houses are half of that in Canada!! Well certain places, I'm sure you get what I mean:)

christmasoompa Feb 4th 2009 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 7248928)

Thank you:thumbup:

IMO, they are very similar countries in a lot of respects, but very different in others. Again, it comes down to what you want out of where you choose to live.

And of course, for most people, living in the US is not an option as their immigration system makes it impossible for the vast majority of people to ever live there. So that may be a factor for some as well.

For us personally, Canada will suit us better for a number of reasons and that's why we've chosen it over the US. But those reasons may not apply to anybody else.

:)

meauxna Feb 4th 2009 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7249607)

For us personally, Canada will suit us better for a number of reasons and that's why we've chosen it over the US. But those reasons may not apply to anybody else.

:)

It's the spelling, isn't it? You can tell me the truth. :)

Sorry, just driving by! :eek:

PS: I was born and mostly grew up on the West Coast of the US. I would rather live anywhere in Canada than most of the places you all listed earlier. My father migrated West from Ohio and my mom from Nova Scotia.