Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada to ban sales of conventional cars by 2035 - Trudeau

Canada to ban sales of conventional cars by 2035 - Trudeau

Old Jul 12th 2021, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to ban sales of conventional cars by 2035 - Trudeau

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you live rurally in the UK, infrastructure makes the purchase of an EV impractical. A 20+ mile round trip to recharge at a low voltage rate and subsequent multi-hour wait (assuming the charger isn't already in use), is hardly appealing. With no off-street parking or streetlighting for infrastructure to potentially piggy-back off for the convenience of overnight charging, an EV makes no sense.
I live rurally in the UK, and we have had two EV's for years. Granted, we have a charger on our driveway but I rarely use it anyway, and I can't see why most people would need to make a special trip to recharge. I tend to do it when I'm running around in my daily life and most of it is for free - charge at school whilst waiting to pick kids up, charge at supermarket whilst doing the weekly shop etc. Yesterday I charged at Ikea whilst I bought shelves. Hubby charges whilst at work or at the train station.

There are more car chargers in the UK than petrol stations, it's really not an issue here.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 12th 2021 at 9:30 am.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:01 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki
If you live rurally in the UK, most will have off-street parking/ garage.
Most? There are 80+ houses on my street, roughly 60-40 split terraced-detached. Twelve have off-street parking.

Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:08 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I live rurally in the UK, and we have had two EV's for years. Granted, we have a charger on our driveway but I rarely use it anyway, and I can't see why most people would need to make a special trip to recharge. I tend to do it when I'm running around in my daily life and most of it is for free - charge at school whilst waiting to pick kids up, charge at supermarket whilst doing the weekly shop etc. Yesterday I charged at Ikea whilst I bought shelves. Hubby charges whilst at work or at the train station.

There are more car chargers in the UK than petrol stations, it's really not an issue here.
Comparing charger numbers to petrol stations isn't very useful - I can re-fuel in under 5 minutes, waiting in line isn't problematic.

Those of us that don't commute to urban areas have no option but to make special trips to recharge - that's inconvenient and burns electricity just for the sake of recharging with more electricity.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing charger numbers to petrol stations isn't very useful - I can re-fuel in under 5 minutes, waiting in line isn't problematic.
I often had to wait in line to refuel at our local petrol station. Or I'd get to it and find I couldn't refuel at all because the tankers were in it and it was closed, causing an absolute panic as we have no other petrol stations near us. It's actually been easier for me to charge my car than to refuel it. If you live rurally (I personally don't think 80+ houses on a street is rural, surely that's at least a village if not a town?), then I don't see how an EV would be any more problematic with petrol stations generally gathered around towns or major roads.

Those of us that don't commute to urban areas have no option but to make special trips to recharge - that's inconvenient and burns electricity just for the sake of recharging with more electricity.
I don't commute, and I don't ever need to make a special trip to recharge. Most people drive somewhere (otherwise, why would they need a car!), so why can't they just charge whilst shopping, taking kids to activities, etc etc? The only time I ever need to go to an actual charging station is when I'm driving hundreds of miles, otherwise it's just part of my daily running around.

If you're looking at just charging stations then you might think it would be a problem, but what about all the chargers at shops, schools, sports clubs, etc, etc - not to mention people's driveways. So many people let others use their driveway charger (including us) that not having your own driveway isn't necessarily an issue.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You'll get shamed out of it. Peer pressure, not legislation, ended smoking and it'll do the same for environmentally unsound vehicles.
A Diesel car produces considerably less CO2. A lot of people tend to forget that. Plus there is also the particle mass filter.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:14 am
Pea Brain

I often had to wait in line to refuel at our local petrol station. Or I'd get to it and find I couldn't refuel at all because the tankers were in it and it was closed, causing an absolute panic as we have no other petrol stations near us. It's actually been easier for me to charge my car than to refuel it. If you live rurally (I personally don't think 80+ houses on a street is rural, surely that's at least a village if not a town?), then I don't see how an EV would be any more problematic with petrol stations generally gathered around towns or major roads.
Waiting in line at a petrol station means a few minutes of inconvenience, not potentially hours. Comparing the 2 experiences and processes isn't very logical. The village I live in has around 800 residents, it's located rurally, as many villages are - that's not an unusual situation.

I don't commute, and I don't ever need to make a special trip to recharge.
I do, and I'd have to. Different circumstances require different choices. An EV for me would be inconvenient and impractical.

Most people drive somewhere (otherwise, why would they need a car!), so why can't they just charge whilst shopping, taking kids to activities, etc etc? The only time I ever need to go to an actual charging station is when I'm driving hundreds of miles, otherwise it's just part of my daily running around.
Because not everyone has the same lifestyle you're representing. I don't have kids - the local school doesn't have any parking, so a charging point's hardly likely to appear. This week I'm driving to Scotland, Wiltshire and Kent. It'll mean one refill of diesel after 600 miles, so perhaps 10 minutes required. An EV would need hours out of my working day and reduce productivity.

If you're looking at just charging stations then you might think it would be a problem, but what about all the chargers at shops, schools, sports clubs, etc, etc - not to mention people's driveways. So many people let others use their driveway charger (including us) that not having your own driveway isn't necessarily an issue.
No chargers at any local shops near to me. It's hardly convenient to recharge at a neighbour's overnight, when the likelihood is they're recharging themselves. None of these issues address the purchase cost of and EV either - far more expensive than a regular vehicle, and that reason alone is enought to disuade me from buying one.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Waiting in line at a petrol station means a few minutes of inconvenience, not potentially hours. Comparing the 2 experiences and processes isn't very logical.
Why is it not logical? For me comparing the two is logical, because for me it's actually more convenient (and quicker) to charge a car than refuel it. I don't wait whilst charging, I just do it whilst I get on with my day and it takes me maybe 15 seconds to plug in, so quicker than refuelling and queueing up to pay would be.

Because not everyone has the same lifestyle you're representing
You're right, but not everybody has your lifestyle either. I thought we were just amicably exchanging views based on our own personal circumstances? My guess is that most people would have a lifestyle similar to mine i.e. lots of shorter journeys to places where they can charge (often for free) whilst they run their errands, rather than driving hundreds of miles every week and not wanting to stop.

This week I'm driving to Scotland, Wiltshire and Kent. It'll mean one refill of diesel after 600 miles, so perhaps 10 minutes required. An EV would need hours out of my working day and reduce productivity.
Hours out of your day? Charging doesn't take hours, particularly if you're at motorway services with rapid chargers. And with ultra rapid chargers starting to be rolled out now, that 10 minutes will be equalled anyway.

Different circumstances require different choices. An EV for me would be inconvenient and impractical.
Exactly, different strokes for different folks and all that. You obviously live somewhere very unusual with no chargers nearby (I'll get Mr EV on it!). For me it's far more convenient and quicker than a petrol/diesel. And much cheaper too, my old diesel used to cost me £500 a month just in fuel, plus another small fortune in tax, now my running costs now are pretty much zero. That wiped out any additional cost in buying the car pretty quickly.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 12th 2021 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Most? There are 80+ houses on my street, roughly 60-40 split terraced-detached. Twelve have off-street parking.
80 house on a street, 60% terraced, doesn't sound rural!
Old Jul 13th 2021, 1:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

According to the charge station map thingamajig, there are 18 public charging stations in Red Deer. Each one of them would be a trip out of my way to use. They according to the links I have managed to find cost on average $15 an hour to charge ( level 3). It's currently costing me about 12 bucks a week to run my mini. It will do about 550 kms to a tank. So far it makes zero sense to go the ev route.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
According to the charge station map thingamajig, there are 18 public charging stations in Red Deer. Each one of them would be a trip out of my way to use. They according to the links I have managed to find cost on average $15 an hour to charge ( level 3). It's currently costing me about 12 bucks a week to run my mini. It will do about 550 kms to a tank. So far it makes zero sense to go the ev route.
That is rubbish. Do they not have free community type chargers in places like shopping centre car parks etc like they do in the UK? I guess it's just such a massive country that putting the infrastructure in place is a nightmare, but seems odd that they're planning on banning ICE's by 2035 without at least a half decent system already.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 13th 2021 at 8:59 am.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That is rubbish. Do they not have free community type chargers in places like shopping centre car parks etc like they do in the UK? I guess it's just such a massive country that putting the infrastructure in place is a nightmare, but seems odd that they're planning on banning ICE's by 2035 without at least a half decent system already.
There are many charging stations in small town Ontario, libraries and public car parks are common spots. If the government would like to push things along then a tax break for employers to provide free charging to staff might be a way to go, especially if it was targeted at places with large numbers of on site staff; factories, hospitals and the like.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 1:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I got the info about charging stations from charge hub.

Ones I have personally noticed are the 4 Tesla ones at one of the big hotels and there is one at the slightly bigger mall. None of the supermarkets have them. There is another bank of Tesla ones on Gas Alley that I have driven past. Add in the lack of trains it makes it really hard to get on the green transport band wagon.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 1:52 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Writer...ehicle-skeptic

This just showed up on the Red Deer News and Area page. I havevonly glanced at it as I'm supposed to be walking my doggy.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 3:27 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki
80 house on a street, 60% terraced, doesn't sound rural!
What do I know, I only live here The nearest small town for shopping/groceries etc is 17 miles away. There's no other amenities for 8 miles. What's your definition of rural UK life?
Old Jul 13th 2021, 3:53 pm
Pea Brain

That is rubbish. Do they not have free community type chargers in places like shopping centre car parks etc like they do in the UK?
Terrific if you frequent urban areas with those amenities, but here are my local free options - I've neither the time, inclination or incentive to start driving miles out of my way to think an EV is viable. My road tax is £30, I get 60mpg and I've not had to finance a purchase:

EV's are an imperfect interim solution to solving vehicular pollution. Tail pipe emissions may be greener, but battery/electricity manufacture and supply isn't currently sustainable to replace the world's ICE fleet. Purchase costs are too high for the majority too - at 20 months old, with 18,000 miles driven, an EV costs £25,000 as an average sale price. That's well over £10k more than the average equivalent used ICE vehicle that's sold off a dealer's lot. The gap between what somebody has to pay for an EV or even a hybrid equivalent and a petrol or diesel car is currently so vast it's hard to see things changing quickly.

FWIW my job's in the automotive world, and global manufacturers don't see the situation above any differently - they produce EVs because of legislation and incentives, not necessarily because they're seen as the holy grail to help solve climate change. Hydrogen paste and synfuels are equally important areas of research to them.

Last edited by R I C H; Jul 13th 2021 at 3:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.