Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada to ban sales of conventional cars by 2035 - Trudeau

Canada to ban sales of conventional cars by 2035 - Trudeau

Old Jul 6th 2021, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to ban sales of conventional cars by 2035 - Trudeau

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
EV trucks then, they're already out there. The article isn't loading for me, there's lots of misinformation about EV batteries and production out there though so hopefully it's accurate.

I have no idea what the infrastructure is like in Canada (I'm guessing not good if you couldn't go to Calgary and back in an EV), in the UK it's easy and so much cheaper to run. It was an easy choice for us to switch to electric about 7 years ago, although my husband had to have one for his job (he's in the EV industry). I wouldn't go back to a normal car now, even if my husband wasn't Mr EV.
And the infrastructure is a huge problem in Alberta. We have dire public transport as an alternative. OHs place of work have had to install charging points as Ford starts to have a bigger EV commitment. They installed 2. That's how small the market is here.

There are a few things I dislike about the car market here, they push you to having something big, they push you to having an automatic. Both those options use more fuel than a smaller manual car. We really struggled to find a smaller vehicle for me. We can only afford a 2nd hand older car. The next time I need to switch my vehicle I think I'll end up with something I hate to drive.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Here is an article that addresses some of my concerns: cultura.org/evbatteries

I agree there needs to be a shift. I'm just not sold that we are ready for full transition just yet. I dive a small engined manual vehicle. I regularly see huge diesel trucks puffing out smelly black smoke. Until that stops there will be resistance to EVs.
+1.

I'm keen on the idea of EVs. I'm not keen on the idea of being forced to buy one. I am the same as you, small engined manual lightweight vehicle and the EV market has not put out anything enticing that I want to buy. I don't like teslas, and ford's Mach E and Fusion electric (now discontinued) are both super heavy, clunky vehicles with poor handling compared to what I drive now.

They are going to have to do something to appease petrolheads or we will continue to resist EVs. Even if the petrol and license fees cost more.

I could maybe be swayed on being allowed to own a petrol car for weekend/recreational use and an EV commuter, but even still I think that's a little heavy handed. People should have choice of what kind of car they want to drive.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:20 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody will be forced to buy an EV, just like nobody was forced to buy an ICE vehicle 100 years ago. It's just technological evolution.

I've just done the best thing ever for reducing my vehicle use... moved to a city. I've sold our second car and my motorbike, and our remaining car, a diesel Land Rover, has done a total of 120 miles in the three months since we moved to the city.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Nobody will be forced to buy an EV, just like nobody was forced to buy an ICE vehicle 100 years ago. It's just technological evolution.

I've just done the best thing ever for reducing my vehicle use... moved to a city. I've sold our second car and my motorbike, and our remaining car, a diesel Land Rover, has done a total of 120 miles in the three months since we moved to the city.
The government saying they are going to stop sales of new ICE engines in 2035 definitely feels like I will be forced to buy an EV if I want to buy a new car after 2035, or stick to used cars/imports from other countries. It's not a natural technological advancement if governments force it, and i'd argue it's not an advancement, it's just a different kind of car.

If it was a technological advancement then we would stop selling ICE cars naturally, not because the government introduced a law to force it.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 7:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The government saying they are going to stop sales of new ICE engines in 2035 definitely feels like I will be forced to buy an EV if I want to buy a new car after 2035, or stick to used cars/imports from other countries. It's not a natural technological advancement if governments force it, and i'd argue it's not an advancement, it's just a different kind of car.

If it was a technological advancement then we would stop selling ICE cars naturally, not because the government introduced a law to force it.
It is an advancement, the ICE was developed a century ago, the EV is currently being developed. There are vested interests in the oil and auto industries that seek to prolong the life of dated and environmentally unsound technology, hence the government steps in to address the market failure. There will probably be some cottage industry in new ICE cars permitted once the shift has taken place, there will certainly be enough vintage ones around.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 8:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

People felt the same way in the 1900's when they were forced to give up their horse and cart. Cars replaced horses largely because of pollution (horse shit), and now cars are one of the leading cause of the planet’s Co2 pollution.

We are almost a quarter into the 21st century, it's time to gradually make the switch. Horse to car transition took 50 years.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 8:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody is forcing you to want a new car.

Your argument is like saying you're forced to buy a house with an indoor toilet.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nobody is forcing you to want a new car.

Your argument is like saying you're forced to buy a house with an indoor toilet.
Cars don't last forever. I drive maybe 25-30k kms per year, my car is less then 5 years old with 110k on it. It won't last forever. When the time comes that it has to be replaced, like Piff Poff I would like the ability to replace it with something I actually like rather then just something that goes from A->B. At the moment, EVs that provide any kind of thrill are about 2x as expensive as an equivalent petrol enthusiast car, due to low demand, new technology and just higher cost. Maybe by 2035 that will change and there will be more palatable options on the market then just Tesla and the Mach-E.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Danny B
People felt the same way in the 1900's when they were forced to give up their horse and cart. Cars replaced horses largely because of pollution (horse shit), and now cars are one of the leading cause of the planet’s Co2 pollution.

We are almost a quarter into the 21st century, it's time to gradually make the switch. Horse to car transition took 50 years.
And people still drive horse and cart based off religious objection to cars (mennonites.)
Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
And the infrastructure is a huge problem in Alberta. We have dire public transport as an alternative. OHs place of work have had to install charging points as Ford starts to have a bigger EV commitment. They installed 2. That's how small the market is here.

There are a few things I dislike about the car market here, they push you to having something big, they push you to having an automatic. Both those options use more fuel than a smaller manual car. We really struggled to find a smaller vehicle for me. We can only afford a 2nd hand older car. The next time I need to switch my vehicle I think I'll end up with something I hate to drive.
For the last ten years at least, modern automatics have been slightly more fuel efficient than manuals - the old 'torquematic' ones that absorbed power are long gone, and they are better about being in the most efficient gear/ power band than most humans. Agree about bigger cars though.

I drive a toyota hybrid corolla - absolutely fantastic at doing its job - yes, it is white goods motoring, but I think that is a compliment to it!

Old Jul 7th 2021, 7:19 am
Lowering the tone

Cars don't last forever. I drive maybe 25-30k kms per year, my car is less then 5 years old with 110k on it. It won't last forever. When the time comes that it has to be replaced, like Piff Poff I would like the ability to replace it with something I actually like rather then just something that goes from A->B. At the moment, EVs that provide any kind of thrill are about 2x as expensive as an equivalent petrol enthusiast car, due to low demand, new technology and just higher cost. Maybe by 2035 that will change and there will be more palatable options on the market then just Tesla and the Mach-E.
It's not all about you, you know . I too would like the ability to replace my current car with something I actually like, but as I can't build a car myself, I will just have to select a car from what is available in my budget at that time- just like I have always done.

Instead of focusing on the car, why not think how you might be able to reduce your time spent driving? 30,000 km per year is quite a lot, and wasteful in terms of time, fuel, tyres, wear & tear... the less time you're in your car, the less it matters what it is.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 11:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not all about you, you know . I too would like the ability to replace my current car with something I actually like, but as I can't build a car myself, I will just have to select a car from what is available in my budget at that time- just like I have always done.
We're all in that boat. In my case I drive a vehicle appropriate to the task at hand. Sunday cruise, Healey. Summer errands, BMW cabriolet. Fetching heavy or smelly stuff, Ranger. Commute in dull weather, hybrid, mostly in EV mode. The latter two could be replaced by an electric Ranger. The mileage on the convertibles is negligible.

How to stop the horses from crapping is a bigger environmental challenge; currently I gather up the turds and blast them across the fields using a diesel tractor. Many people do. Tractors commonly run all day for three seasons. Electric tractors will really change the world.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 11:36 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki
For the last ten years at least, modern automatics have been slightly more fuel efficient than manuals - the old 'torquematic' ones that absorbed power are long gone, and they are better about being in the most efficient gear/ power band than most humans. Agree about bigger cars though.

I drive a toyota hybrid corolla - absolutely fantastic at doing its job - yes, it is white goods motoring, but I think that is a compliment to it!
I HATE driving a automatic. I do it when I'm using OHs car or the truck, I do not enjoy it at all. Might be different if I was stuck in stop start traffic everyday for my commute but that's not a likely scenario.

It's bad enough that only 18% of vehicles in North America currently being sold/manufactured are manual transmission. My options for a vehicle when I need to replace my mini will be even more dire than it was this time around.

At least I'll have my summer classic to drive. Wind up windows, manual transmission and cassette radio, awesome!
Old Jul 12th 2021, 9:02 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I have no idea what the infrastructure is like in Canada (I'm guessing not good if you couldn't go to Calgary and back in an EV), in the UK it's easy and so much cheaper to run. It was an easy choice for us to switch to electric about 7 years ago, although my husband had to have one for his job (he's in the EV industry). I wouldn't go back to a normal car now, even if my husband wasn't Mr EV.
If you live rurally in the UK, infrastructure makes the purchase of an EV impractical. A 20+ mile round trip to recharge at a low voltage rate and subsequent multi-hour wait (assuming the charger isn't already in use), is hardly appealing. With no off-street parking or streetlighting for infrastructure to potentially piggy-back off for the convenience of overnight charging, an EV makes no sense.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you live rurally in the UK, infrastructure makes the purchase of an EV impractical. A 20+ mile round trip to recharge at a low voltage rate and subsequent multi-hour wait (assuming the charger isn't already in use), is hardly appealing. With no off-street parking or streetlighting for infrastructure to potentially piggy-back off for the convenience of overnight charging, an EV makes no sense.
If you live rurally in the UK, most will have off-street parking/ garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.