Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canada’s Surprising New Proposed Health Guide

Canada’s Surprising New Proposed Health Guide

Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada’s Surprising New Proposed Health Guide

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/cana...ed-food-guide/

Great article and surprising new look at the standard guidelines.

They do provide a link to the governments website to read more and submit feedback, if so inclined.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada’s Surprising New Proposed Health Guide

I am an exceptionally reluctant whole food plant based eater now... reluctant not because I don't feel a ton better without meat/dairy, I do or that I don't believe the science because I think it's plentiful and solid, I think it's just a hang up from years of being a meat eater. It's hard to get out of the mindset.

It would be good to see Canada not bowing to industry pressure and taking a strong stand on this subject.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I am an exceptionally reluctant whole food plant based eater now... reluctant not because I don't feel a ton better without meat/dairy, I do or that I don't believe the science because I think it's plentiful and solid, I think it's just a hang up from years of being a meat eater. It's hard to get out of the mindset.

It would be good to see Canada not bowing to industry pressure and taking a strong stand on this subject.
Sorry to hear that TiryTory, but glad your choice has had a positive impact of your health. Guess feeling that you have been forced to take this route is why you feel reluctant.

For me, I am gradually weening my self off as choice, and probably a little reluctance as per your comment on years off being a meat eater and then again an anything eater.

I do see a number of my friends making the same choices, whether it be for health reasons or the conditions that animals are raised(pumped full of antibiotics/hormones, unethical living conditions etc). Even Grass Feed beef is not without consequences to the impact to the land!
Then again fruit and vegetables are sprayed with so many pesticides and the soil is so lacking in minerals due to lack of crop rotation. Sad really, the gift we are leaving our children.

Since moving to Canada, the amount of fast food joints blows my mind, the portion sizes whether in the supermarket or eating out is mind boggling. In the building I work, I have never come across so many obese people per square foot. We have a free soda machine in our office which is in constant use. Even a colleague who moved to the US from NZ, comments the same to me about what he sees in the US.

Some of my colleagues think it is odd if I am not eating meat during lunch. Then again I look at what they are eating!!

Fingers crossed they can pass this, and also educate Doctors to take more of an interest in nutrition and not just pushing drugs.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is an Family Physician and he's pretty sold on the plant based diet, he certainly has started recommending a certain way of eating.

To be fair to doctors though, patient compliance and wanting to do it is the major factor that will lead people off medication. The diet has to come first before doctors can change medication. A government top down intervention is required, but it will probably take a few generations before the thinking starts to change.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

So true and completely agree. When Doctors study for there degree, no mention of nutrition is part of this. Only what drugs can you give to people.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting read, and nice to see an article where the lobbyists didn't win. Corporate lobbyists seem to rule the world these days and have become the primary threat to true democracy.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Interesting article.

I think that it is harder to eat well in Canada than it was in the UK. mainly because the fruit and veg here is very expensive. I think that education is a big part of it as well. I think that the culture it describes in Canadians not preparing their own food is a big factor. The Tims visit every morning for example. I read a while ago that Breakfast sandwiches are being consumed at record levels.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 2:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I think that it is harder to eat well in Canada than it was in the UK. mainly because the fruit and veg here is very expensive.
It's funny - odd, not haha - doing this comparison.

When I came over, the rate was more than $2 to a £. I considered many things to be cheaper here with very few things costing more.

For most of my time here, half my income has been from the UK so as the £ fell I had less money, so things got more expensive. But the Canadian prices - give or take inflation - pretty much stayed the same, so it was easy to think of it as starting out being a bit cheaper and then remaining cheaper.

But just looking at a few things there seems quite a difference now.

However the one glaring difference is the part mentioned about the difficulty in eating well.

While a few sample fruit and veg items I just checked are similar or more expensive here, I also checked some fast food items.

Not a huge example, admittedly, I don't want to start craving it.

But a couple of items I did look at, the equivalents here seemed to be about two-thirds of the UK cost.

Regardless of conversion rate at the time of comparison the unhealthy option may be an easier, more affordable relative to the cost of fresh produce, one.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As people work more and become busier many lack the time to cook and eat on the go.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
As people work more and become busier many lack the time to cook and eat on the go.
I get around this problem by simply eating my apples and bananas the way they are when I purchase them.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 4:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I get around this problem by simply eating my apples and bananas the way they are when I purchase them.
You don't peel your bananas?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Can't eat just fruit though,.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If God meant us to eat soy, he wouldn't have made us the most successful predator on the planet.

I agree in part, though. Cutting fast carbs seems to be a really good idea.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:59 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
If God meant us to eat soy, he wouldn't have made us the most successful predator on the planet.
Quite, simply eating roots, twigs, berries and leaves results in madness, rage and envy.. and a distinct loss of libido. It's well known that martians were little and green, probably resulting from all those plants they had to eat and the fact that everything's gone without trace should tell you a great deal.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Quite, simply eating roots, twigs, berries and leaves results in madness, rage and envy.. and a distinct loss of libido
That would explain some of the vegetarians I've known.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.