Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Can you negotiate in stores

Can you negotiate in stores

Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you negotiate in stores

Eg furniture stores

And any cheap yet quality furniture stores?

Need to get some when we arrive in 5 days.

Merci.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 11:23 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you negotiate in stores

We did with a furniture chain here in BC called 'The Brick'
Old Feb 14th 2014, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Generally you can at places like the Brick or Sears as they work on commission, have inflated prices and some leeway.

But you wont get very far at say Ikea where its more of a traditional store, you pay what the tag says, but maybe they would negotiate if you tried? Never bought anything large there, so can say for sure, but since its self serve, you pull the merchandise and pay at a register and they don't really have "sales people", my guess is no.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Generally you can at places like the Brick or Sears as they work on commission, have inflated prices and some leeway.

But you wont get very far at say Ikea...but maybe they would negotiate if you tried?
No chance. The price is the price, unless you find it in the damaged area, but even then, the price is the marked price.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
No chance. The price is the price, unless you find it in the damaged area, but even then, the price is the marked price.
I didn't think so, but didn't want to assume since I wasn't fully sure.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:36 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

You can definitely negotiate at places like The Brick, The Bay, Mobilia, other larger furniture stores too will negotiate like tax built into the price/discounts etc etc Future Shop and the like also will negotiate on electronics, white goods....

Ikea and Costco - heck no...
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about pure furniture stores, but sometimes you'd be surprised - some years back I worked in Target in the US (who have now crossed the Canadian border), and cashiers had the authority to negotiate price on any item under $20. More than that and it went to store managers - I once saw a total negotiation, there was some furniture that didn't have a price on, I couldn't find a barcode, called the lead on duty to talk to the customer, he checked it, just shrugged and began "what do you want to offer me for it?"

You can but ask. They're not going to kick you out of the store for it.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

Yes, actually, you can negotiate depending on which store you are shopping at. I've done it many times. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

And when it comes to items like televisions, you can of course negotiate especially as stores like Futureshop have a price guarantee that states that they will meet any competitor's price and beat it by a further 10% of the difference.

A couple of years ago I bought a new TV at the same time as my parents were buying a new one so we bought both together. I spent a few days going from one shop to another getting the best price and then narrowed it down to Futureshop and 2001 Audio/Video. I played them off against each other, always getting a lower price, until the manager at 2001 opened their books in frustration and showed me that I was getting the TVs for barely above their purchase price.

It takes some work, and some time, but it can definitely be done.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The above advice is good but also, insist on free delivery or you walk. Don't listen to excuses.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Yes, actually, you can negotiate depending on which store you are shopping at. I've done it many times. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

And when it comes to items like televisions, you can of course negotiate especially as stores like Futureshop have a price guarantee that states that they will meet any competitor's price and beat it by a further 10% of the difference.

A couple of years ago I bought a new TV at the same time as my parents were buying a new one so we bought both together. I spent a few days going from one shop to another getting the best price and then narrowed it down to Futureshop and 2001 Audio/Video. I played them off against each other, always getting a lower price, until the manager at 2001 opened their books in frustration and showed me that I was getting the TVs for barely above their purchase price.

It takes some work, and some time, but it can definitely be done.
They were specifically referring to IKEA in that post where you can not negotiate.

But yes at other stores you can.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The above advice is good but also, insist on free delivery or you walk. Don't listen to excuses.
You do a lot of walking I bet....pub to pub

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 14th 2014 at 3:06 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We furnished much of our house from Leons. We suggested free delivery and they agreed.

But someone "tougher" than me could maybe have managed a better discount. Or maybe if we'd not made it obvious we were furnishing a house from that store. We were working from a list of choices we had made on line before actually moving.

I'm sure if we'd said we were thinking of buying some things "here" but other stuff elsewhere, they'd have suggested something.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I didn't think so, but didn't want to assume since I wasn't fully sure.
We did, Kennedy Road in Scarborough, plenty stores, we got a great deal at Ahmed Furniture, we got 2 beds and table chairs ect all with free delivery to Ajax managed about 20% off.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Kijiji. I found some amazing deals there. Like 1/3 of the new price, but of course with minor blemishes, and you're on your own regarding delivery. Might be an idea to start out with 2nd hand furniture, then move upscale as you get more established and budget allows...
Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
Eg furniture stores

And any cheap yet quality furniture stores?

Need to get some when we arrive in 5 days.

Merci.
As you are heading to Vancouver, you could drift out as far as coquitlam/burnaby to United Boulevard where there are a lot of furniture stores including The Brick, Jordans etc. We have just bought new sofas, Dining table and bedroom suite from Boulevard Furnishing. We got about $2000 off the advertised prices and free delivery and set up. Nice to deal with as well. HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.