Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Can you feel my disappointment?

Can you feel my disappointment?

Old Jun 12th 2010, 1:53 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you feel my disappointment?

Just how big are these stores out west and what were you used to in the UK? I've seen nothing in this area, Peterborough, Northumberland, that's bigger than a small Tesco back home. Tesco in Milton Keynes is huge, has two floors and the Superstore in Peterborough is maybe the size of an average Tesco but without the queues. Also without any decent fruit and veggies too but that's the way shopping is round here.

PC stuff is also sold in NoFrills, which is a gruesomely tacky experience, and in Valumarts.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

I can forgive Superstore everything....because that Galen Weston in the adverts is a hottie!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fledermaus;8627625]Just how big are these stores out west and what were you used to in the UK? I've seen nothing in this area, Peterborough, Northumberland, that's bigger than a small Tesco back home. [QUOTE]

Real Canadian Superstores in BC vary between 65,000 and 75,000 square feet according to some government publication I found on the Web. They have pharmacies, sell clothes and lots of household stuff as well as food. They aren't the nicest places to shop but if you are selective then lots of dollars can be saved. AND they sell decent cheddar cheese
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=fuschiagirl;8627774][QUOTE=fledermaus;8627625]Just how big are these stores out west and what were you used to in the UK? I've seen nothing in this area, Peterborough, Northumberland, that's bigger than a small Tesco back home.

Real Canadian Superstores in BC vary between 65,000 and 75,000 square feet according to some government publication I found on the Web. They have pharmacies, sell clothes and lots of household stuff as well as food. They aren't the nicest places to shop but if you are selective then lots of dollars can be saved. AND they sell decent cheddar cheese
They aren't the cheapest places to shop for me and as the nearest is 40km away I use the dreaded NoFrills and and an independent store. I'm very pleased when I am in Pbro and have an excuse to shop in there. They have pharmacy, household etc etc. For cheese I would go to Costco not that I have eaten any cheese since November. boohoo.

I looked up the size of MK Tesco and it's 110,000 square feet. Now that is a nightmare place to shop and only done when you have briefly taken leave of your senses. It takes a while to recover from the experience.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished off 3 Wiltshire bacon butties for breakfast from Dominion
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

that bacon is damn good.....
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
that bacon is damn good.....
Hmm, just had sausages with eggs, mush and toms - no bacon here
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

I love the superstore here, it's so much nicer than Sobeys and cheaper. It does have a gym above the produce section though which I find very weird.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:37 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
I love the superstore here, it's so much nicer than Sobeys and cheaper. It does have a gym above the produce section though which I find very weird.
Bet it's a GoodLife gym
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Bet it's a GoodLife gym
It is, a good life women and kids!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:33 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
It is, a good life women and kids!
Yup - they do like to go in above the superstores!!