British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Can we have a cheese thread please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/can-we-have-cheese-thread-please-841320/)

DandNHill Aug 19th 2014 6:10 pm

Can we have a cheese thread please?

Having just hijacked a thread on moving to NS to discuss the price and location of raclette cheese in Toronto, I thought we should discuss cheese separately...

So I can imagine it would be extremely interesting to have this thread to share cheese stories... I'm sure you all agree?

dbd33 Aug 19th 2014 6:18 pm

Re: Can we have a cheese thread please?

1 Attachment(s)
1,000 words.

DandNHill Aug 19th 2014 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11374648)
1,000 words.

$50? That is mighty conservative Mr dbd, where did you stash the rest?

dbd33 Aug 19th 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 11374657)
$50? That is mighty conservative Mr dbd, where did you stash the rest?

At that time we lived nearer the market and so fetched cheese "little and often".

DandNHill Aug 19th 2014 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11374660)
At that time we lived nearer the market and so fetched cheese "little and often".

Oh, this is a vintage cheese photo? lol
I am looking forward to buying cheese, I thought maybe I would need to go to Quebec but this is very fortunate and I am very grateful... however I need cancoillotte now that I have thought of it again!

dbd33 Aug 19th 2014 6:34 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 11374663)

This is a real vintage cheese photo. The stand has since been redecorated.

dbd33 Aug 19th 2014 6:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)
And this is one of those, johnny-come-lately cheese stands, I suppose it's only been there 10 years.

magnumpi Aug 19th 2014 6:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Value for money, $7 at No Frill and Loblaws, strong taste too

DandNHill Aug 19th 2014 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11374674)
This is a real vintage cheese photo. The stand has since been redecorated.

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11374677)
And this is one of those, johnny-come-lately cheese stands, I suppose it's only been there 10 years.

Although for cheese lovers both are appealing... I love those types of markets.

There was a cheese I once bought in France a bit like "Belle des Champs", it was 90% fat so it just melted away in your mouth...can't remember what it was called but as an occasional treat it really was to die for!

Siouxie Aug 19th 2014 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 11374663)
I am looking forward to buying cheese, I thought maybe I would need to go to Quebec but this is very fortunate and I am very grateful... however I need cancoillotte now that I have thought of it again!

Pop over to Quebec and you will be able to buy it :)

- Fiche fromage

DandNHill Aug 19th 2014 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11374691)
Pop over to Quebec and you will be able to buy it :)

- Fiche fromage

Oh fantastic!!! Do you fancy a road trip? lol

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 7:31 pm

Check Costco for cheese. That is our go-to for most cheeses, the prices are very good. Just last week I bought a 280g block of Balderson 4-Year Cheddar for $13.59, a wedge of Beemster Dutch Cheese, can't remember the weight (maybe 200-250g?) for $9.99, and a 1.5kg or so wedge of parmesan cheese for $29.94 (lasts months!). They also regularly carry the large wheels of Cambozola cheese, maybe 6-7" diameter, for $11 or so. Good prices and a pretty good selection. Highly recommend.

arniedog Aug 20th 2014 10:40 am

We have just had some family over, and they were kind enough to bring a couple of packs of pilgrims choice extra mature. Mmmm :thumbup:

BristolUK Aug 20th 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11374683)
Value for money, $7 at No Frill and Loblaws, strong taste too

Yep, PC's extra old is pretty good. So is Cracker Barrel's version.

It comes in 400g size for the same price as 500g of the others but it's significantly better. Even better again when it's available for just under $4 on weekend specials or $5 at other times. Proper colour too.

What is the point of Monterey Jack and Havarti? Utterly bland. And the same higher price as extra old too.:confused:

There's more flavour to the ordinary 'old' ones. Even the marble stuff has more flavour.

SchnookoLoly Aug 20th 2014 2:11 pm

Monterey Jack I'm not crazya bout, but some Havartis are good! More of a creamier cheese. There's an eastern European grocery store near me, Starskys, that has a giant mother cheese counter that does about 30 different varieties of Havarti, for stupidly cheap prices. And their havarti is fantastic, the jalapeno havarti is a favourite in our house... toast up half a bagel, slap a piece of havarti on it... delicious. There are good havartis and bad ones, though... the standard packaged ones I find are pretty bland, but good havarti is delicious. :)