Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Can I buy lard in St. John's, Newfoundland?

Can I buy lard in St. John's, Newfoundland?

Old May 2nd 2011, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

son_of_sid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I buy lard in St. John's, Newfoundland?

Canadian supermarkets do not sell lard. They think the idea of lard is as gross as black pudding (which they call blood pudding so no wonder nobody buys it - I know it's made from blood but there's no need to advertise this fact). They have been using an expensive artificial version for about 60 years that is nowhere near as good as lard - clever marketing by the company who makes this "real lard is gross and very very bad for you so buy our product" as almost every Canadian believes this after all this time.

There is a good article on this:

http://www.torontolife.com/features/praise-lard/

There is also good advice on other pages re where you can buy lard across Canada but I have not found anything in St. John's yet. Then again I have not actually found a proper butcher's shop yet so when I do hopefully I'll be able to buy lard.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:47 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I buy lard in St. John's, Newfoundland?

Eh? Even "no frills" sells Lard? Its great for decent pastry. Suet on the other hand isnt so easy to find unless you want to deal with a big frozen block of it.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:05 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about Lard....it's not something I've felt the need to buy during my 6 years here. You might try Belbins on Quidi Vidi Rd - Higher end independent grocer http://www.belbins.com/ . Only "proper" butcher I've found is Halidays meat market, downtown on Gower St http://hallidays.foodpages.ca/ . Other food stores worth seeking out are Lesters Farm Market on Brookfield Rd in Mount Pearl and the Seafood shop on Duckworth St. Disappointingly for a place whose history is based on fish, the variety and availability of fresh fish is poor.

Welcome to the Rock btw. Did you import your wine collection in the end?

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; May 3rd 2011 at 1:59 am.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The mere mention of lard my arteries start to clog up some more.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:44 am
Just Joined

son_of_sid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I have no idea about Lard....it's not something I've felt the need to buy during my 6 years here. You might try Belbins on Quidi Vidi Rd - Higher end independent grocer http://www.belbins.com/ . Only "proper" butcher I've found is Halidays meat market, downtown on Gower St http://hallidays.foodpages.ca/ . Other food stores worth seeking out are Lesters Farm Market on Brookfield Rd in Mount Pearl and the Seafood shop on Duckworth St. Disappointingly for a place whose history is based on fish, the variety and availability of fresh fish is poor.

Welcome to the Rock btw. Did you import your wine collection in the end?
Thanks, I'll try those.

Yes we did import our wine and it should arrive with the rest of our ship container Thursday/ Friday. I have not been told how much duty we have to pay but Interdean (the people who have orgainised the shipping) gave us a form to complete to show the type of wine/ alcoholic content/ etc. per bottle. I think we're importing about 3 dozen bottles of wine. We gave all of our spirit bottles away to friends because apparently you pay the same duty on a half consumed bottle of whisky as you do on a full one so probably cheaper to replace rather than pay the duty.
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:02 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

izzit true dey making lard from codsparts???? sure a newfandlandisher will fill in teh blankety-blank????

Old May 3rd 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I had a looky for proper lard a few weeks back - seems you can only get the vegetable version around town - The scotch pies still turned out good though

But dominion just started stocking the pies again so wont be going to the bother of making them again
Old May 5th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by son_of_sid
Canadian supermarkets do not sell lard. They think the idea of lard is as gross as black pudding (which they call blood pudding so no wonder nobody buys it - I know it's made from blood but there's no need to advertise this fact). They have been using an expensive artificial version for about 60 years that is nowhere near as good as lard - clever marketing by the company who makes this "real lard is gross and very very bad for you so buy our product" as almost every Canadian believes this after all this time.

There is a good article on this:

http://www.torontolife.com/features/praise-lard/

There is also good advice on other pages re where you can buy lard across Canada but I have not found anything in St. John's yet. Then again I have not actually found a proper butcher's shop yet so when I do hopefully I'll be able to buy lard.
We're using Tenderflake (mentioned in the article) or duck fat, which is nearly as good for roasting spuds.
Old May 5th 2011, 8:04 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

on 2nd thunkins mebbe U b bettah 2 go oldschool???? dosnt real cookers make al dere eatins from scratchings???

Old May 5th 2011, 8:52 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nldfc
I had a looky for proper lard a few weeks back - seems you can only get the vegetable version around town
Tenderflake lard should be available in the same section of the grocery store where you get Crisco shortening.

Tenderflake lard is a non-hydrogenated pure animal product.

See 2005 news release: http://investor.mapleleaf.ca/phoenix...9787&highlight