British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Calgary Marathon Anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/calgary-marathon-anyone-669752/)

MrsDV May 26th 2010 2:38 am

Calgary Marathon Anyone?

Just wondering if any of the Calgary area peeps are digging out their running shoes for Sunday's marathon?

Not me, I'll be doing my first half (it seemed like a good idea when I registered months ago) - it won't be fast and it won't be pretty but, hopefully, I'll feel good about it afterwards! :unsure:

Anyway, online registration closes at midnight tonight so there's still some time if you're undecided ;)

Mountain Girl May 27th 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Calgary Marathon Anyone?

Originally Posted by MrsDV (Post 8590172)
Just wondering if any of the Calgary area peeps are digging out their running shoes for Sunday's marathon?

Not me, I'll be doing my first half (it seemed like a good idea when I registered months ago) - it won't be fast and it won't be pretty but, hopefully, I'll feel good about it afterwards! :unsure:

Anyway, online registration closes at midnight tonight so there's still some time if you're undecided ;)

Good Luck on Sunday MrsDV :thumbsup: . I am not registered for Sundays race but am taking part in the Banff half marathon in September.

If you enjoy your first half, you could always register for the Hyperthermic half marathon in February 2011! :D

Alan2005 May 27th 2010 4:07 pm

Is this your first go at that distance?

MrsDV May 27th 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks Mountain Girl!

I don't think I'll be doing the Hypothermic Half in Feb., that sounds painful :eek:

The way I feel right now I think, after Sunday, I may slip back to a more comfortable 10k distance for while.

Are you doing Melissa's in Sept.? That seems to be the most popular race around here, almost impossible to get registered for.

Yes Alan, this is my first go at the half - I don't think I had ever run much more than 10k when I started training for this back in Jan. I have almost done the distance (about 20.5k) in training runs without falling over or throwing up so hopefully I'll be ok on the day!

pthom May 27th 2010 4:42 pm

I'm not running in Calgary this year, have done the half before they changed to the new route, have fun. I think I'll probably go out and cheer this year, there's never very much community participation in Calgary so I'll add my voice to the few who do get out :)

Melissa's is a great race, lots of people and beautiful scenery, if you want to run it and haven't got a bib, check out the Running Room website for the Melissa's thread, there's always bibs up for sale close to the event.

Hypothermic is worth doing for the breakfast after at the Sheraton, unless they've changed it. I didn't run that this year.

Mountain Girl May 27th 2010 4:43 pm

Alan2005- Nope, it’s not my first. I am an avid runner have been running consistently for the last couple of years, my current mileage is about 25 a week; hoping to improve on that over the summer months.

MrsDV- Yep managed to get two spots on the Melissa’s. It certainly was hard to get registered. Only 1500 spots and 20,000 people tried to log on, I guess it popular as its one of the only races in the national park. Looks like it will be great fun.
I felt like you before my first half, but loved it! I hope you are carb. Loading this week! :D:thumbsup:

MrsDV May 27th 2010 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by pthom (Post 8594002)
I'm not running in Calgary this year, have done the half before they changed to the new route, have fun. I think I'll probably go out and cheer this year, there's never very much community participation in Calgary so I'll add my voice to the few who do get out :)

Melissa's is a great race, lots of people and beautiful scenery, if you want to run it and haven't got a bib, check out the Running Room website for the Melissa's thread, there's always bibs up for sale close to the event.

Hypothermic is worth doing for the breakfast after at the Sheraton, unless they've changed it. I didn't run that this year.

Oh yes, do come out and cheer! :thumbsup: I did the 10k at this event last year and was quite disappointed by the lack of cheering! Although at the few points where there was some enthusiastic support it provided quite a boost!

You know, it would have to be quite an outstanding breakfast to get me running a half marathon in Calgary in February :lol: (got me thinking though ;))

pthom May 27th 2010 5:09 pm

It was a good breakfast the years I've run it; at the Sheraton in Eau Claire; nice buffet and lots of it, even for slower finishers like me. I agree the weather can and has been brutal in February, I think that's why I haven't done it for a while ;) Still it can be warm too Calgary weather being what it is, luck of the draw!:D

Alberta_Rose May 27th 2010 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDV (Post 8590172)

Not my running shoes per se, but my group is singing at the half-way point in Varsity at 9.00 am if anyone cares to listen! :)

Oink May 27th 2010 6:31 pm

Can you do it on a horse?

MrsDV May 27th 2010 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 8594055)
Not my running shoes per se, but my group is singing at the half-way point in Varsity at 9.00 am if anyone cares to listen! :)

That sounds very civilized. :)

MrsDV May 27th 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8594170)
Can you do it on a horse?

:lol: You know, I don't remember any mention of horses in the rules! (assuming you're still talking about the marathon :confused:)

wiggs1034 May 28th 2010 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 8594055)

I am running the full marathon on Sunday (without the snow hopefully). I have done a few halfs before, three this year I think, but this will be my first full marathon.

Looking forward to the entertainment in Varsity - I might need it at that point. The more support the better, it should help me finish.

Good luck to all those taking part.

Alberta_Rose May 28th 2010 2:34 am

Shall I wave my Union Flag so you know it's me? :thumbsup:

.... my director might not allow that of course ... t'would "spoil the unit look!":unsure: :sneaky:

MrsDV May 28th 2010 2:36 am

Originally Posted by wiggs1034 (Post 8594932)
I am running the full marathon on Sunday (without the snow hopefully). I have done a few halfs before, three this year I think, but this will be my first full marathon.

Looking forward to the entertainment in Varsity - I might need it at that point. The more support the better, it should help me finish.

Good luck to all those taking part.

Good Luck - enjoy you're first marathon (and the entertainment!) :thumbsup: