Calgary Flames

Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:01 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Flames

Originally Posted by Glassy
Evening All,

We're thinking of taking in a Flames game whilst on our Calgary Reccie trip in January. Any (constructive ) suggestions on where's best to sit in the arena? We're looking for good seats that don't cost the earth.

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers All

Glassy
If you're only going to do it once, splurge on centre-ice in the 100's. It is rather expensive but you really get to hear the bones breaking.

I've only been to one game, about three years ago. My bro was over and wanted to see some violence. By chance, the Sens were playing the Leafs. It was on his birthday, so I splurged.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

How's it going Butch?

We're going to be there in January, so I was looking at the Blackhawks game on the 21st..
Its going purdy good, The Penguins game on the 13th should be good as well. Keep in touch and let us know, we could at least meet early for a couple of cold ones before the game.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
By chance, the Sens were playing the Leafs. It was on his birthday, so I splurged.
You inflicted the Leafs on him for his birthday. Dont you like him then?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You inflicted the Leafs on him for his birthday. Dont you like him then?
He wanted rough. He got it.

He's a hockey fan and regularly goes to games in the UK. His favourite team is the Guildford, er, Flames.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Thats a bit like advising a canadian that wants to go and watch Liverpool that he is as well watching a Sunday League pub team
Really, I accept that Liverpool maybe shite, but I didn't realise that they had been relegated to a single division above Sunday League pub football.

The WHL is the "feeder" division for the NHL and, an untrained eye, is unlikely to be able to tell the difference.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

The AHL is the feeder league for the NHL

The WHL is more like a football equivilent of the youth leagues -
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:35 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

How's it going Butch?

We're going to be there in January, so I was looking at the Blackhawks game on the 21st..
Blackhawks are a hella good team right now....That will be a good game, I say go for it.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Nov 24th 2009 at 1:37 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The WHL is the "feeder" division for the NHL and, an untrained eye, is unlikely to be able to tell the difference.
Well...technically that's not true.

The WHL is junior hockey and the play is a fair bit slower than the NHL, from there the vast majority go on to the AHL before making the jump to the NHL.

Not many players are good enough, strong enough or mature enough to make the NHL straight from the WHL, but all the tools and potential are there.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Its going purdy good, The Penguins game on the 13th should be good as well. Keep in touch and let us know, we could at least meet early for a couple of cold ones before the game.
Fantastic. I'll keep you posted

It'll be good to watch a lively sport for a change. I'm used to watching the 90 minute snooze fest that is The Cobblers
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well...technically that's not true.

The WHL is junior hockey and the play is a fair bit slower than the NHL, from there the vast majority go on to the AHL before making the jump to the NHL.

Not many players are good enough, strong enough or mature enough to make the NHL straight from the WHL, but all the tools and potential are there.
I realised it was wrong just after reading it again, by then, another had posted and I thought it was inappropriate for me to delete it.

Apologies to all.

I still doubt, though, that a newbie to hockey would really notice the difference, they will be far too busy trying to work out the rules and looking out for the Mascot
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:47 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I realised it was wrong just after reading it again, by then, another had posted and I thought it was inappropriate for me to delete it.

Apologies to all.

I still doubt, though, that a newbie to hockey would really notice the difference, they will be far too busy trying to work out the rules and looking out for the Mascot
I thought the rules changed every game
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are rules? I thought it was like lacrosse on ice
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to all.

Some of the junior hockey is still good to watch though - I watched a fair bit of the QMJHL which is our equivalent of your WHL (I think )a few seasons back with the St Johns Fog Devils and The Halifax Mooseheads .
Sidney Crosbie was one of the few who went straight from the juniors to NHL
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

In a sense you are correct.

Different referee's call the same play different ways and some blatantly discriminate against teams they don't like, and some are just plain incompetent.

NHL example Dallas vs Detroit
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Some of the junior hockey is still good to watch though - I watched a fair bit of the QMJHL which is our equivalent of your WHL (I think )a few seasons back with the St Johns Fog Devils and The Halifax Mooseheads .
Sidney Crosbie was one of the few who went straight from the juniors to NHL
The Canadian Hockey League consists of three regional major junior leagues: the QMJHL, the OHL and the WHL.

Milan Lucic (Boston) and Evander Kane (Atlanta) are two players who recently made the leap directly into the NHL from Vancouver's WHL team. As said, most others need some growing time in the minor professional leagues.