Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Buying furniture and other household stuff

Buying furniture and other household stuff

Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Trinkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying furniture and other household stuff

Having just gone through the enjoyment of selling all of my household items over here, predominantly through facebook selling groups, I now have to start planning on buying stuff over in Toronto when I arrive. What do you good people recommend, either as facebook groups or other means?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying furniture and other household stuff

Salvation Army stores are pretty good for kitchen stuff but maybe a mixed bag for Furniture. Habitat for Humanity has lots of decent furniture as well as other stuff, including good looking appliances.

Charity stores here seem to have a lot more larger stuff than their equivalents back in the UK. At least more obviously anyway.

Dollarama has lots of cheap and cheerful smaller things for kitchen and home.

You can buy reasonable quality, comparable to their British equivalents, for not bad prices at many furniture/appliance chain stores and, surprisingly, Sears.

From comments made previously, the higher end furniture here seems to be more expensive than the UK.

No idea about FB groups. That might be time consuming buying compared to selling.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:23 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the local auction house. Furniture generally very cheap and if it caters for estate sales then a full range of items generally available and typically a wide choice from tools to washing machines.

One downside is that you'll need to collect as many don't deliver and to do it quickly, so first priority will be to organise some form of transport, eg car plus trailer, truck or SUV.

Last edited by dave_j; Aug 15th 2017 at 3:26 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Trinkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave_j
Check out the local auction house. Furniture generally very cheap and if it caters for estate sales then a full range of items generally available and typically a wide choice from tools to washing machines.

One downside is that you'll need to collect as many don't deliver and to do it quickly, so first priority will be to organise some form of transport, eg car plus trailer, truck or SUV.
Interesting, thanks. I assume there is a market for man in a van/truck services, as I won't have a car or licence?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trinkers
I assume there is a market for man in a van/truck services, as I won't have a car or licence?
Yes. Local paper or kijiji. But you might find them advertising under handyman/odd jobs/movers or even garbage removal as well as man with van.

Quick sample CLICK

Here's an example for Junk removal

Under the heading GTA BEST Junk Removal service! NO minimum charges FLAT RATE! is this:
Garbage removal, move in, move out, dumping, apartment, condo, basement,trash removal, yard waste, free estimate, garage clean outs Need junk taken out OR need a delivery/small move done without the hefty price?
You wouldn't necessarily associate junk removal with pick up/delivery but it's quite common.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Take your time buying stuff.
When I bought my Condo, I got a lot of my stuff from the garbage room. Lamp shades, tables, lamps etc The things people throw away and all in good condition!

I used some thrift stores and Kijji, a lot of people get rid of good stuff. Just be patient.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Take your time buying stuff.
When I bought my Condo, I got a lot of my stuff from the garbage room. Lamp shades, tables, lamps etc The things people throw away and all in good condition!

I used some thrift stores and Kijji, a lot of people get rid of good stuff. Just be patient.
+1 - start checking around the apartment buildings the last week of the month, particularly the very end, when people are moving out. It's amazing what people throw out.

When I was first here, I picked up a coffee table, 2 lamps, glasses, a tv stand and a smalll chest of drawers - all free.

Look in the freecycle ads too... and click this google search for 'free stuff' or 'used' - there's a ton of places out there. Edited to add this link of 2nd hand places https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...=Toronto%2C+ON Kijiji is good too.

Dollar stores are ideal for cheap kitchen items, cutlery etc, Walmart are not bad for small electrical items (toaster / kettle), glassware and that kind of thing, or also look at Canadian Tire

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 18th 2017 at 7:31 am.