Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

But what about the rugby!?

But what about the rugby!?

Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: But what about the rugby!?

Originally Posted by iaink
I hate to say it, but its just a frigging game. I gave up field hockey (something of a passion for me at the time) when I came to Canada.

Life did not end.
Indeed. I used to follow cricket (used to play too, once, but increasing girth and decreasing motivation put paid to that...) but haven't really felt the lack of coverage, even during the World Cup. Mind you, England's performance would hardly have been worth the hassle anyway.

My only consolation is that I work for an Indian company, and they had an even more ignominious tournament than England. My colleagues' only consolation, in turn, was that at least Pakistan went out at the same stage as they did having been beaten by Ireland. We're all now supporting Sri Lanka in the final, out of a mutual hope that the Aussies don't win
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:56 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

So who do you think will win the Heineken Cup then Leicester or Wasps? should be quite a scrap - I mean 'game'
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:37 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MCrocker
So who do you think will win the Heineken Cup then Leicester or Wasps? should be quite a scrap - I mean 'game'
Wasps? Buzz off! Leicester of course!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davidkuttner
Apparently rugby is very big out in BC, so I'm sure he'll be able to watch most games! If he can't find a sports bar that shows the matches, he could always join a local rugby team as a social member. I'm sure they'll know where to go to watch England play! If not, try Setanta Sports (the PPV channel). I managed to watch the 6 nations games online through their website.
Hope that helps!

It's starting to sound much more positive now and OH is much happier! Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:52 pm
jacquidur

jacquidur is on a distinguished road

TIGERS
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:05 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jacquidur
TIGERS
Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:05 am
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

Rugby is not a major TV sport here, you might catch the occasional game on Sportsnet, especially during the world cup. For participatoin BC is one of the places its more common I believe. THe digital sports channels seem to show 5 nations games, although not always "live"

"The Score" (cable channel) has a 30min roundup of what I call "euro sports" (soccer, rugby, cricket, F1) every weeknight evening at 5.30 thats Ok for highlites and keeping in touch I suppose.
Must be a bit behind in their scheduling, it's been 6 Nations since 2000

bad.andy
Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:23 am
Starting over ..

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Now we are getting down to the nitty-gritty, serious stuff. OH not so much interested in location, property and schools, etc. He wants to know if he can go to rugby matches and watch England on the TV in the Vancouver area. Can anyone put him out of his misery? He's got a few years to get used to the idea if BC is a rugby desert.

Lara
It's www.bcrugby.com that you need to track down the local teams, or www.rugbycanada.ca and go to the links page.

Watching matches isn't too bad, I got a box from itvn and watch the games on Setanta Sports - you need an internet connection, but it plugs straight into your TV, no computer required. The box was "free" (postage and package etc came out to about $100) with a 12 month subscription, it's $15 a month and it shows the rugby, Premiership football, European football from various countries, even Gaelic football and hurling for those from the Emerald Isle. The live matches are great, usually about 7am so the match is all but over before the rest of the family starts to get in the way.

By the way, TIGERS! Anglo Welsh Cup in the trophy cabinet already, places reserved for the Heineken Cup and Premiership.

I've attached a picture of my middle daughter with an English rugby legend - if you don't know who it is you probably aren't reading this thread.

bad.andy
Attached Thumbnails But what about the rugby!?-sorcha1.jpg  
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bad.andy
I've attached a picture of my middle daughter with an English rugby legend - if you don't know who it is you probably aren't reading this thread. bad.andy
Thanks for these links, OH much appeased. What a great photo Something for her to treasure (or if not, you!).
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Must be a bit behind in their scheduling, it's been 6 Nations since 2000

bad.andy
Yeah right...like Italy count
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:32 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I think the Tigers will do it but I was at Twickenham a couple of years ago when Wasps won it in the last few seconds - they have a habit of getting it right in the big games.

I'm a Bath supporter (after the Cornish Pirates of course), my youngest supports Leicester and my eldest supports Northampton - it's a sign of how much we moved around back in the UK
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:18 pm
Starting over ..

Yeah right...like Italy count
Ask Wales and Scotland ...

bad.andy
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:21 pm
Been there, done that

Ask Wales and Scotland ...

bad.andy
Ouch, that hurt....