Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Buried or cremated in Canada or the UK?

Buried or cremated in Canada or the UK?

Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buried or cremated in Canada or the UK?

They (whomever is still living when I die) can just cremate me and do whatever, I am dead and I dont really care what is done with my body.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by christian
I've already prepaid -I've even chosen the urn- and all the legal papers I can sign ahead of time. I'm going to have my ashes placed in the same grave as my Dad too ... and it's just a quiet, obscure, little village. It's not Frogmore, nor the Paris Catacombs nor the Pyramid of Giza ... but I'd not trade it for King Tut's tomb! (Though I had him but a short while, my father was the greatest gift in my life ... he never raised his voice with me -he never had to- we had never argued, never disagreed; we needed to do nothing more than to spend time in each others company to enjoy ourselves. And so I hope to again as eternity passes).
My dad died when I was young - I was 12, so like you, I didn't have him around for a long time. I'm interested in that you said you've signed papers. I've told the person who deals with that sort of thing, and my children and hubby know, but that's all. I was told that as long as my next of kin know that's okay. I hope so. My dad's in a double grave, so there's room. My mum remarried and her ashes are with her 2nd husand's. Who did you see to sign papers?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:07 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoreenC
My dad died when I was young - I was 12, so like you, I didn't have him around for a long time. I'm interested in that you said you've signed papers. I've told the person who deals with that sort of thing, and my children and hubby know, but that's all. I was told that as long as my next of kin know that's okay. I hope so. My dad's in a double grave, so there's room. My mum remarried and her ashes are with her 2nd husand's. Who did you see to sign papers?
My funeral has been pre-planned and paid in full, (the charge is fixed, so it can't be raised with inflation), and at the same time I had my Last Will and Testament drafted by a lawyer as well as a 'Power of Personal Care' aka 'Living Will' ... (basically just (diacetyl)morphine and pull the plug). But it's recommended that the funeral home have an explicit set of instructions signed and witnessed -and so I had that drawn up as well, and they have it on file- as people can make the mistake of leaving instructions in their wills, and many times they are often read only after the funeral. I've tried to make it so my executor has little more than to file my final tax return. The urn, the cost of cremation, the cost of my ashes being returned to England, and the papers for the grave with a fee for it to be opened, are all in place. (Even a few quid for the clergy and my name appended on Dad's stone ... all taken care of). What with you having your family, and making your wishes known to them, I don't think you've a thing to worry about. They'll do all these things for you when the time comes. (I just did them in advance ... but that's because I don't have anyone here).

Last edited by Christian; Apr 12th 2011 at 9:32 am.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by christian
My funeral has been pre-planned and paid in full, (the charge is fixed, so it can't be raised with inflation), and at the same time I had my Last Will and Testament drafted by a lawyer as well as a 'Power of Personal Care' aka 'Living Will' ... (basically just (diacetyl)morphine and pull the plug). But it's recommended that the funeral home have an explicit set of instructions signed and witnessed -and so I had that drawn up as well, and they have it on file- as people can make the mistake of leaving instructions in their wills, and many times they are often read only after the funeral. I've tried to make it so my executor has little more than to file my final tax return. The urn, the cost of cremation, the cost of my ashes being returned to England, and the papers for the grave with a fee for it to be opened, are all in place. (Even a few quid for the clergy and my name appended on Dad's stone ... all taken care of). What with you having your family, and making your wishes known to them, I don't think you've a thing to worry about. They'll do all these things for you when the time comes. (I just did them in advance ... but that's because I don't have anyone here).
Thanks for the quick reply, Christian. Looks as if it's something I shouldn't need to worry about.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:47 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of dying in Canada is truly depressing.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Those contemplating their eternal resting place would do well to read Jessica Mitford's, The American Way of Death. It is an expose of the American funeral industry, and just as applicable to Canada.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:47 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
The thought of dying in Canada is truly depressing.
G o o d__O n e !

The mere thought is enough to make me ring Samaritans ... but with my luck they'd be engaged!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

well if hubby goes first I'm having his ashes made into a diamond! If I go first I want to be buried at the bottom of the garden with a huge statue of myself looking very slim and gorgeous as a constant reminder to my hubby what he's missing and that I'm always watching!!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mardyarse
well if hubby goes first I'm having his ashes made into a diamond!
Ashes can be made into a Diamond? Now that's what I'm going to do. Then I can be passed on for generations!