Wikiposts

British TV abroad?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV abroad?

Originally Posted by JonboyE

If viewing UK reality shows makes someone feel connected then fair enough. I enjoy watching the occasional British program as well, and there are plenty of interesting ones available on PBS (basic cable package) without having to mess about with all this stuff.

The more I read of these threads, the more I appreciate the variety of TV available in Canada. Familiarity is not the same as quality.
I have no wish to 'feel connected', I just want to watch some good TV occasionally. Yes, 95% of UK TV is shite like X-factor, but that doesn't mean the remaining 5% is not superior to anything you get here. Cos it is, by quite some margin.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:19 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
... the remaining 5% is ... superior to anything you get here.
a) We get most of the 5% here at some point or other.
b) You have seen everything here?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

a) We get most of the 5% here at some point or other.
b) You have seen everything here?
a) No you don't. There are plenty of shows that I watch that never make it here; and of those that do a fair chunk of them are edited down to make space for ads.
b) I haven't watched everything no, but I have looked at the schedules and that's enough to put me off.

I cannot think of any Canadian TV that I have set to PVR; there is Jon Stewart and new Simpsons episodes, but that amounts to about an hour a week once the ads and boring interviews have been removed (and that's US TV anyway).

The rest of my viewing is either the BBC or Channel 4. I don't bother with ITV cos that's as bad as the crap you get here.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

MADPUPPIES2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have downloaded Film on and can watch the programmes but am just a bit weary that im not being charged through my supplier, shaw in this case is it really for free??
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:07 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked at the schedules and that's enough to put me off.
You have the advantage on me. I generally have to watch a bit of a program before I can decide if it is any good or not.

UK TV is just better than US and Canadian TV. To suggest otherwise is just silly.
I am not really interested in arguing the relative merits of national broadcasters. I will happily concede that if I was required to chose one broadcaster's output to watch for the rest of my life it would be the BBC.

The point is that there is plenty of intelligent, informative and entertaining TV available here, often without commercials, if you can be bothered to search it out. To suggest otherwise is VERY silly.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:16 am

You have the advantage on me. I generally have to watch a bit of a program before I can decide if it is any good or not.

I am not really interested in arguing the relative merits of national broadcasters. I will happily concede that if I was required to chose one broadcaster's output to watch for the rest of my life it would be the BBC.

The point is that there is plenty of intelligent, informative and entertaining TV available here, often without commercials, if you can be bothered to search it out. To suggest otherwise is VERY silly.
Intelliegent and informative shows may exist. But there are not plenty of them, a few maybe, but plenty, I don't think so.

Some PBS docs are ok (a step up from the discovery channel for sure), but not really good enough for me to go out of my way to watch them. Nature and Nova are good examples of the workmanlike stuff that you get can get here if you look for it. Good enough in a pinch, but not exactly david attenborough.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:55 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

a) No you don't. There are plenty of shows that I watch that never make it here; and of those that do a fair chunk of them are edited down to make space for ads.
b) I haven't watched everything no, but I have looked at the schedules and that's enough to put me off.

I cannot think of any Canadian TV that I have set to PVR; there is Jon Stewart and new Simpsons episodes, but that amounts to about an hour a week once the ads and boring interviews have been removed (and that's US TV anyway).

The rest of my viewing is either the BBC or Channel 4. I don't bother with ITV cos that's as bad as the crap you get here.
30 Rock??
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

onepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really nice

Originally Posted by MADPUPPIES2
I have downloaded Film on and can watch the programmes but am just a bit weary that im not being charged through my supplier, shaw in this case is it really for free??
It is free but eventually you might see a message asking you to subscribe. You need to keep an eye on the bandwidth you have used. I have Rogers for my ISP and I can log in and see how much bandwidth I have used. If I went over 60 GB I would be charged. I only use about 20GB a month though and I do lots of work on my computer.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:37 am
Banned

TakeItEasy is on a distinguished road

I use the British Online Tv Access Account from here https://www.pc-streaming.com/store/. It really is good and gains access to everything available BBC, iplayer, ITV, ITV Player, CH4 On-Demand etc.
They have also just introduced an Ireland package for all those Irish ex-pats missing RTE.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:50 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested, series 14 of Top Gear began last week (and hopefully it's better than the "low budget" series 13 ).
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
For those interested, series 14 of Top Gear began last week (and hopefully it's better than the "low budget" series 13 ).
Yes, watched the first episode and judging by the cars, it certainly wasnt low budget
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:07 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertabound
Yes, watched the first episode and judging by the cars, it certainly wasnt low budget
was it the one with the ice driving in Val Thorens??
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
was it the one with the ice driving in Val Thorens??
No it was driving on "allegedly" the best road in the world in Romania. They did drive in tunnels under the peoples palace too. Fantastic cars!!
Tina

Last edited by albertabound; Nov 23rd 2009 at 1:47 pm. Reason: bloomin spelling
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:03 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertabound
No it was driving on "allegedly" the best road in the world in Romania. They did drive in tunnels under the peoples palace too. Fantastic cars!!
Tina
oh right -assume yr watching it on BBC then not BBC canada!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
oh right -assume yr watching it on BBC then not BBC canada!
Yeah, sorry Carrie. We are watching it on iplayer. Watched this weeks last night. Different, but still entertaining.
Hope you're feeling better
Tina

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.