Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British students smash up Conservative HQ

British students smash up Conservative HQ

Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British students smash up Conservative HQ

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
At Her Majesty's Pleasure?

A gunsmith sounds interesting. Maybe I should re-train as a gunsmith.
No, she's doing a degree in criminology and forensics and already works part-time for the local constabulary. They are encouraging her.

Gunsmithing is probably a safe bet in North America. Be warned, though, that only one college in Canada offers a full-time course. It's in Maniwaki, about 120km north of me. There is SFA to do in Maniwaki, which is why the niece shows up Friday night with empty tupperware containers and a basket of dirty laundry and leaves on Sunday with full tupperware containers and a basket of clean laundry.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:47 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvy
No, she's doing a degree in criminology and forensics and already works part-time for the local constabulary. They are encouraging her.

Gunsmithing is probably a safe bet in North America. Be warned, though, that only one college in Canada offers a full-time course. It's in Maniwaki, about 120km north of me. There is SFA to do in Maniwaki, which is why the niece shows up Friday night with empty tupperware containers and a basket of dirty laundry and leaves on Sunday with full tupperware containers and a basket of clean laundry.
Oh, that's disappointing. Good for her though. When I worked for a university back home they naturally provided free tuition for staff and faculty. I wanted to do criminal psychology. Unfortunately it's hard to sell that to the folk in charge as being "for the betterment of the faculty".
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I personally know only a handful of people with real money - four of them married it and a couple of them take a very relaxed view of the HMRC rules and regulations.

Senca, the above may say more about you than you would care to admit.....

I believe the students did right to stand up for what they believe in and when you consider that there 40,000 of them in protest, a small group of idiots is pretty good going, it's just a pity they had to be there at all........well done the serious protestors. If our youth don't engage in politics then we have some serious issues ahead of us for sure.

As for the hike in tuition, just social darwinism rearing it's ugly head once more. I just know I'm glad not to be bringing my children up there.

Mrs M x
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seneca21
I see no reason why the 21st centry should continue to host a system where people get access to the best universities simply because father is rich - especially because most of the rich are rich because they are totally dishonest in their accumulation of money.
Ignoring the blanket statement of envy regarding the rich... if the country can't afford to subsidize higher education at the rate it once did, what do you suggest they do?

Those of us in the Barbie have come to know and love your in-depth knowledge about everything on the planet, so I'm convinced you can come up with a better system, than an army of politicians and government advisers, with access to the financial 'books' of the country, could ever devise.