Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by triumphguy

If you really want to know who is full of the brown steamy stuff (in this case), Lord Vader or Novo, go to the local sports bar and quote both posts!

If you come out dead then Lord Vader was right!
I've just got in from a very long evening in a slightly notorious bar in Ottawa.

I suggested to many of the temporary friends I made there that these Olympics are a total disaster and embarrassing to Canada.

I'm still living. In fact most agreed.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
I know it's mild but its still *******g winter here.

LOL, and we're all melting in the heat and humidity down here, funny old world init mate?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

CBC just had a story on the evening news about the media coverage in the UK, what a bunch of parochial wankers.

VANOC have ballised up loads of stuff and they seem incapable of understanding the political component of the games. While I can understand the need to exclude the riff raff, you just don't want them to know they're being excluded.
Canadian news media redefines parochial; it's like reading the dorset evening echo. Read a bangkok post yesterday - it had international news and even some analysis in it - you know, like when a journalist does some in depth investigation and presents their conclusions in more than 10 words.... amazing!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Canadian news media redefines parochial; it's like reading the dorset evening echo. Read a bangkok post yesterday - it had international news and even some analysis in it - you know, like when a journalist does some in depth investigation and presents their conclusions in more than 10 words.... amazing!
Its like reading a high school yearbook every day. "Like yeah, what did they think of me?"
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:50 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

CBC just had a story on the evening news about the media coverage in the UK, what a bunch of parochial wankers.

VANOC have ballised up loads of stuff and they seem incapable of understanding the political component of the games. While I can understand the need to exclude the riff raff, you just don't want them to know they're being excluded.
Its hardly been mentioned on the tv news. I caught some of the downhill on BBC2 last night at 6pm but apart from that its not been mentioned since the start and the lack of snow. I had actually forgotten about it. They're more concerned with the 6 nations rugby, Champions League back and John Terry's appetite for blond ladies.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Its hardly been mentioned on the tv news. I caught some of the downhill on BBC2 last night at 6pm but apart from that its not been mentioned since the start and the lack of snow. I had actually forgotten about it. They're more concerned with the 6 nations rugby, Champions League back and John Terry's appetite for blond ladies.
Good for them. But for those of us that actually live in Canada, the Olympics are relevant.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:16 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

"Vancouver needs to stop being so touchy about criticism of the 2010 Games. Ridicule is all part of the Olympic ideal."

"Piss off Brits," concludes a furious email typical of the Guardian's Vancouver Olympics mailbag, "and stop producing so many ugly women."

"I am deeply disappointed at the tone of this article," fumes a response to my colleague Martin Kelner's intentionally amusing article about the unintentionally amusing opening ceremony, "and the tone of many Brits or expat Brits enjoying the hospitality of our country."

"To which the only appropriate reply is: do lighten up, Canada! Sorry for coming over all capital letters about it, but Olympic hosts are SUPPOSED to be teased. You basically pay billions of dollars for the world to laugh at you. Deal with it."

guardian.co.uk
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
This pretty much sums up my view on the matter:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...inter-olympics
Originally Posted by bsmith
Try and keep up at the back...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by bsmith
"Vancouver needs to stop being so touchy about criticism of the 2010 Games. Ridicule is all part of the Olympic ideal."

"Piss off Brits," concludes a furious email typical of the Guardian's Vancouver Olympics mailbag, "and stop producing so many ugly women."

"I am deeply disappointed at the tone of this article," fumes a response to my colleague Martin Kelner's intentionally amusing article about the unintentionally amusing opening ceremony, "and the tone of many Brits or expat Brits enjoying the hospitality of our country."

"To which the only appropriate reply is: do lighten up, Canada! Sorry for coming over all capital letters about it, but Olympic hosts are SUPPOSED to be teased. You basically pay billions of dollars for the world to laugh at you. Deal with it."

guardian.co.uk
They do seem to be getting all lemon about it. Tricky little ***ts.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Good for them. But for those of us that actually live in Canada, the Olympics are relevant.
Im sure it is. Just trying to point out that most in the UK are completely unaware of the anger stirred up by two columnists.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's easily the biggest sporting event in Toronto (and I was living downtown when the Jays won the Stanley Cup). Parades, wild crowds on the streets, flags everywhere, very exciting.
exciting and baseball in the same sentence...surely you jest or your body and soul have been taken over by a cradle

I wasn't aware that the Jays had won the Stanley Cup (I'm sure it was a typo at your end)
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've just got in from a very long evening in a slightly notorious bar in Ottawa.
Which 'notorious' bar in Ottawa? Was it a beer sold in quarts kind of place, a faux oirish bar or one more attuned to the pleasures of the flesh. That sums up most of them here.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
LOL, that's what I was thinking...the only time I ever hear of them (or any British media for that matter) is if someone posts it on here...
I, otoh, have a subscription to the print version of the Gruan. It nicely balances the Daily Mail viewpoint seen posted here with increasing frequency.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
exciting and baseball in the same sentence...surely you jest or your body and soul have been taken over by a cradle

I wasn't aware that the Jays had won the Stanley Cup (I'm sure it was a typo at your end)
Grey Cup, is it? They won something twice leading to a car horn being sounded in the street. By contrast, when Greece won Euro NNNN the streets were jammed with people dancing and waving flags late into the night. Football is the big game here (or there since I'm sitting in Guelph).
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I cant wait to see what 'Cluster F*** ' the Brits make of the 2012 summer games, woe be tied if the weather is crap or any thing else goes wrong
The "Brits" don't have much of a say as to what goes into these publications so why angle your displeasure in this generalised way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.