Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:44 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by dboy
I doubt Brits will take it on the chin like he suggests. I'm not as confident in that stiff upper lip as I once was. I also don't agree that it's all just in jest and should be taken as such Canadians should suck it up, when we are being outright accused of causing the death of a luger at some level. Banging on about totem poles with phallic properties is one thing but ............

Anyway not to bemoan the point but the energy and smiling faces is the only indicator I need to know that the games here are a massive success, you cant help but get caught up in it. Pubic opinion has had a dramatic turn around in support of the games, even myself a die hard moaner of the waste of the games, is having difficulty not getting caught up in the atmosphere.
Course they will - look at the trashing the millennium projects got (with the exception of maybe the london eye). The olympic lisa simpson bj logo was universally mocked by the british press.

I've heard the atmos downtown is pretty good, but history won't remember that - it will be international media that says whether the games are a success or not. VANOC have some work to do to turn this around; however their po-faced humourless attitude won't win any friends in the media.

My own view is that the most unforgivable screw up they made was gambling on cypress even when they knew a long time in advance that this was going to be an el ninio year. Everything else is just the usual cock ups you can expect from an event of this size; with that many people you are always going to get a proportionate number of incompetent idiots doing some of the organization.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:23 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
If you really want to lose a pointless event, ditch the male hockey. It's nothing more than extension of the NHL and the players don't give a $hit about it.
Sorry, but you are way off beam here. Its the NHL that doesn't want to compete in the Olympics, not the players.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rob_999
My complaint - all the "live" venues downtown show next to no live footage of the games. It's just tent after tent of marketing crap.

I hate when that happens...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:29 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
it will be international media that says whether the games are a success or not.
To be fair, the number of people in the world that give a **** what the Grauniad writes is limited to a precious few.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Men's hockey will be the most watched, best attended and will bring in a wholesome profit that you can take to the bank. It is the marquee event at the Olympics, not just in Canada either.

dats wot I thought too.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
To be fair, the number of people in the world that give a **** what the Grauniad writes is limited to a precious few.

LOL, that's what I was thinking...the only time I ever hear of them (or any British media for that matter) is if someone posts it on here...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:35 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
dats wot I thought too.
You, and he, are right.

Anyone that finds cheering Canucks hard to take better build a bunker in case they win the gold.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Anyone that finds cheering Canucks hard to take better build a bunker in case they win the gold.

WOO HOO!!! Go for GOLD Canucks!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Anyway not to bemoan the point but the energy and smiling faces is the only indicator I need to know that the games here are a massive success, you cant help but get caught up in it.

I'm getting caught up in it too and I'm all the way down here! You should see the Kiwi sports commentators on our main terrestrial TV station, it's called Prime (that's the channel that's bringing us the coverage) -- they're freaking LOVING it! It's all extremely positive, and they're making it cool to watch because they're well into it and excited about it. They've only been positive about Vancouver, I haven't heard a negative comment out of them and that makes a nice change from the crap about the "international" media that keeps being talked about in here.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it very much, our TV commentators are well impressed, they're pulling for Canada but were impressed with America today and we're all still hopeful about NZ (even though we're sucking right now, still trying to remain cheerful and hopeful despite, lol).

So that's good enough for me to regard these games as a success thus far.

ETA: The only thing that has truly marred it for me in any real way was the death.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 18th 2010 at 5:13 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:15 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell that to the local media. You know how it is with Vancouver - they jump all over any international coverage no matter how small and inconsequential. It makes them feel 'world class'

Here's news1130's take:

http://www.news1130.com/news/nationa...mping-olympics

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 18th 2010 at 5:20 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway not to bemoan the point but the energy and smiling faces is the only indicator I need to know that the games here are a massive success, you cant help but get caught up in it. Pubic opinion has had a dramatic turn around in support of the games, even myself a die hard moaner of the waste of the games, is having difficulty not getting caught up in the atmosphere.
Haha, that reminds me of the time a few years ago a colleague wrote in her report about smoking not being allowed in pubic places in Canada...

I agree though, despite the moaning beforehand the atmosphere is infectiously positive and vibrant downtown at the moment, especially now the weather is so beautiful. Regardless of who writes what in the press or what happens, we might as well enjoy the party as best we can I'm even coping with working 7-3 during the games - although it's bizarre emerging to line-ups at the Bell ice cube and hoards of people all the way up Robson Street.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Tell that to the local media. You know how it is with Vancouver - they jump all over any international coverage no matter how small and inconsequential. It makes them feel 'world class'

Here's news1130's take:

http://www.news1130.com/news/nationa...mping-olympics
CBC just had a story on the evening news about the media coverage in the UK, what a bunch of parochial wankers.

VANOC have ballised up loads of stuff and they seem incapable of understanding the political component of the games. While I can understand the need to exclude the riff raff, you just don't want them to know they're being excluded.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by adele

I agree though, despite the moaning beforehand the atmosphere is infectiously positive and vibrant downtown at the moment, especially now the weather is so beautiful.

I'm so jealous.

wish I was there, I wanted to be all moved over by these games but it just hasn't panned out that way....So YES! Enjoy the party! Enjoy yourselves for Pete's sake!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:38 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I'm so jealous.

wish I was there, I wanted to be all moved over by these games but it just hasn't panned out that way....So YES! Enjoy the party! Enjoy yourselves for Pete's sake!
I know it's mild but its still *******g winter here.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by adele
Regardless of who writes what in the press or what happens, we might as well enjoy the party as best we can

Definitely. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter two hoots what the media thinks, it's what you think.

This reminds me of when England won the Rugby World Cup. Apart from Australia, this had to be the WORST place on the planet to be if you supported England. The media was scathing and the whole country was in mourning except me and my husband (lol, of course I'm exagerrating but I'm telling you there was no party going on down here.)

Of course I was swinging from the rafters with jubilations, LOL, even more so that no-one else wanted to celebrate and the media couldn't hide their childish contempt. I thought "stuff it, England were bloody excellent and they won AND they deserved their triumph, so this lot down here can all go and suck on their sour grapes."

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 18th 2010 at 5:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.