Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But surely you see the need to prorogue the Congress for the duration?
Nothing's getting passed now anyway, so they might as well.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Nothing's getting passed now anyway, so they might as well.
OK, but in a democracy everyone's allowed to get constipated. Up here they've locked the bathroom.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:46 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

sentiment has turned:

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/inde...WOjpXb_xSSQVNy

It been incredible on the streets in Vancouver. The whole city is all about the games and you can't help but get sucked into it. Incredible.

Last edited by dboy; Feb 20th 2010 at 4:54 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:57 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the Canadians keep reporting about other countries reporting about them? Its all bit too high school, "do you know what so and so has been saying about me?"
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:25 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
It been incredible on the streets in Vancouver. The whole city is all about the games and you can't help but get sucked into it. Incredible.
It took a bit of time to get going. It was much quieter on the streets on Sunday evening than I was expecting, better on Monday then by Tuesday evening it was party central.

The miseries who left town before the party started probably did us all a favour. It's been really good to see and even better to experience. It finally has a city vibe for me.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by acer rose
It took a bit of time to get going. It was much quieter on the streets on Sunday evening than I was expecting, better on Monday then by Tuesday evening it was party central.

The miseries who left town before the party started probably did us all a favour. It's been really good to see and even better to experience. It finally has a city vibe for me.
I hope vancouver has learned that they can allow people to let loose without fear of the city being overrun or something.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It does look like fun downtown although I'm not a big fan of crowds apart from football games, so I think I might give it a miss. I would have visited some of the olympic houses but the queues are much too long, you'd sober up before you even got in there.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Oink
It does look like fun downtown although I'm not a big fan of crowds apart from football games, so I think I might give it a miss. I would have visited some of the olympic houses but the queues are much too long, you'd sober up before you even got in there.
It's been neat seeing the city like this, everyone just having a good time and the city encouraging it. It's going to be one hell of a downer though when it all comes to an end and we resort back to our provincial ways.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
OK, but in a democracy everyone's allowed to get constipated. Up here they've locked the bathroom.
don't be such a pooper, there will be plenty of tme to whine about Harper starting in March, it is not permanent. besides, it is not like the opposition had anything important to say anyway. It's not as if they actually have something substantial to offer. You aren't missing anything.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

This whole thing is really horrible. If I can attach blame, it would be the fact they didn't cancel all the sliding events after the death. Very tacky IMO

If the Brits feel so strongly why dont they pull all their competitors?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:27 pm

this photos sums up the atmosphere here right now (robson square)

[ATTACH]90734
Attached Thumbnails British Media Slams Canada at the Games-4372679846_cfe795b6ce_o.jpg  

Last edited by dboy; Feb 20th 2010 at 4:36 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
this photos sums up the atmosphere here right now (robson square)

Attachment 90734
Why is nobody smiling?

Just kidding.

By all accounts you cannot fault the party atmosphere in the city at all.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Why is nobody smiling?

Just kidding.

By all accounts you cannot fault the party atmosphere in the city at all.
It'll be all very depressing when it all ends
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the Canadians keep reporting about other countries reporting about them? Its all bit too high school, "do you know what so and so has been saying about me?"
Its because we don't have an identity. Its our way of discovering what it is.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:18 pm

This is one of the articles I've read that seems acurate from my perspective.

"The ultimate aim of these Games, any Games, is global excellence and global joy, not provincial victory and local bragging rights."

"But Canada has not come of age in Vancouver 2010. Canada has regressed into a sneering but ultimately impotent adolescence. It’s been — well, rather unattractive on the whole."

Not the people so much, but the CTV coverage has been the most ungracious, petty and parochial I've ever seen. Its quite shameful.

Times Article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.