Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Aww, this bit made me sad:

"Behind her jovial comment, though, lay a serious point. Many Canadians have been really hurt by some of the criticisms in the British media."

They need to toughen up.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Might as well whine about Canadians having more experience driving on the Trans Canada highway.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
They need to toughen up.
Or do themselves a favour and not even be arsed about it.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:43 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

If Canadian's think the british media is slamming them then they need to read what the British media says about Britain.

Last edited by gingnut; Feb 19th 2010 at 1:20 am.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
If Canadian'a think the british media is slamming them then they need to read what the British media says about Britain.
Do you mean that put downs and slamming are simply a characteristic of the Brits ?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I'm wondering why this is so important. Nobody I spoke with is "embarrassed to be Canadian" as Novo suggests. Let the press be the press, negative news sells.
I suggested nothing of the sort. I'm Canadian myself you know. If I ever used that phrase it would have been in connection with Canada's (OK, Harper's) bloody minded obstructionism at Copenhagen.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Or do themselves a favour and not even be arsed about it.
As evidence would suggest this is something that they simply cannot do. The concept is alien to Canadian media.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:59 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Still don't understand why people would wish this. Is it because of some of the British media's negativity? Do you enjoy others misery to make you feel better? Or is it just because?
The difference is that people in the UK wont really give a toss if the London games turn out not to be that great. Have I got news for you should be very funny during the games. Now i must go and have my annual yearly bath, wash my bed linen, its been 4 years since i last did and go to see some bloke called a dentist?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:39 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1471688/
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:33 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Do you mean that put downs and slamming are simply a characteristic of the Brits ?
Not Brits per se, the British Media yes. Murdoch is actually Australian - but then that is likely irrelevant too - it is all just headline tactics.

Most people I know who are watching the games are loving it - especially the snowboarding, skiing, tempered by the sadness of the death.
I have heard no negative comments from real people .. the thought of anyone I know complaining about weather in another country makes me laugh.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:53 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt the negative Brit press is going to amount to much on the international stage. NBC has been giving outstanding coverage of the games here and they have been largely positive of the games and very positive about Vancouver and are experiencing record viewers.

My brother-in-law to be manages a radio station in Seattle and has close to ties to major outlets in LA (where he owned a radio station) and New York. I toured the media center with him earlier in the week. The media likes Vancouver and while they have been frank about the issues, they haven't blown them out of perspective like the Brits - they are being objective taking the good with the bad.

Cypress was a poor choice, but I don't think there was anywhere else they could have had them. Its not just about where the events are, its about moving people to them. Still they rolled the dice. But beyond all the belly aching and canceled tickets, the Cypress events have been well received and have been the scene of the most exciting neck to neck events with Sean White on the half pipe, and both the woman's and men's moguls were nail bitters.

Even Seb Coe and Richard Branson have commented on the comments made by brit media and can't say enough good things about the games here and Vancouver.

I guess Brit media can't find anything good to say about the Brit winter team, so may as well fling some mud and tease the host country. Now that's good journalism.

GO CANADA GO!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
NBC has been giving outstanding coverage of the games here and they have been largely positive of the games and very positive about Vancouver and are experiencing record viewers.
It may be that their editorials suit your position but that hardly makes their coverage "outstanding". US and Canadian broadcasters are just awful if you're interested in a team from another country. I'm constantly hearing whines about the winner of skiing events not even being named on the TV while the US or Canadian skier who came just outside the top ten is interviewed.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Let Canadian news stations, press etc over dose on there somewhat myopic view of the games I say...it may be a while before such an opportunity presents itself again...
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:14 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It may be that their editorials suit your position but that hardly makes their coverage "outstanding". US and Canadian broadcasters are just awful if you're interested in a team from another country. I'm constantly hearing whines about the winner of skiing events not even being named on the TV while the US or Canadian skier who came just outside the top ten is interviewed.
My comments are made in stark contrast to the crap the Brit media has been hurling around. You certainly can't please everyone.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Let Canadian news stations, press etc over dose on there somewhat myopic view of the games I say...it may be a while before such an opportunity presents itself again...
Four years. Or two, if you count the summer games. This complaint has been valid as long as I've been seeing North American TV. I well recall shoes and other objects being thrown at the screen along with screams of "not those snob brats again" when the CBC interviewed Steve Podborski or Ken Read instead of a top three finisher. You can't fault either the Canadians or Americans for their lack of jingoism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.