Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

British Media Slams Canada at the Games

Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:17 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Media Slams Canada at the Games

I can't wait to see how London ***** it all up.

I'm back in Toronto for work this week but get back to Van on Sunday. Am looking forward to seeing the Canadians stuff the USA in the Hockey.

Some of the criticism smacks of jealousy too. I can see why- just look out the window in Vancouver- beautiful!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
I can't wait to see how London ***** it all up.
Why?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

That's the British way!!

You'd not get Londoners to wear red mittens and say "I believe!"
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
That's the British way!!

You'd not get Londoners to wear red mittens and say "I believe!"

So there is hope for 'Britannia' yet
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:20 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Why?
Schadenfreude (sp?)
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not remotely surprised the Grauniad has taken such exception to the Winter Games, after all such noble alpine pursuits are historically the preserve of the middle and upper classes; any leftist rag would be failing in it's duty were it not to churn out snide and negative articles smacking of envy and jealousy.

Meanwhile, in Vancouver, everyone I speak to seems to be enjoying themselves immensely. We went to the Women's curling last night and had a great time next a bunch of vocal Swiss (mit Cowbells) who were doing their best to compete with the Chinese in terms of noisy support. Team GB put up a decent fight against the Swiss but ended up losers on the night.

Heading off to Whistler tomorrow, to ski, and to wander round the village. Plenty of snow up there. It's a shame about Cypress but there's no denying the city looks stunning in the sunshine, and I'm glad all the tourists get to take home pictures of snow-capped mountains (albeit small caps!) in great weather rather than a cloud bank.

Cheers, Iain
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I'm not remotely surprised the Grauniad has taken such exception to the Winter Games, after all such noble alpine pursuits are historically the preserve of the middle and upper classes; any leftist rag would be failing in it's duty were it not to churn out snide and negative articles smacking of envy and jealousy.

Meanwhile, in Vancouver, everyone I speak to seems to be enjoying themselves immensely. We went to the Women's curling last night and had a great time next a bunch of vocal Swiss (mit Cowbells) who were doing their best to compete with the Chinese in terms of noisy support. Team GB put up a decent fight against the Swiss but ended up losers on the night.

Heading off to Whistler tomorrow, to ski, and to wander round the village. Plenty of snow up there. It's a shame about Cypress but there's no denying the city looks stunning in the sunshine, and I'm glad all the tourists get to take home pictures of snow-capped mountains (albeit small caps!) in great weather rather than a cloud bank.

Cheers, Iain
Most of the criticism is coming from the more centrist, Times, Mail and BBC.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We're off to the figure skating this afternoon. Another tick on Mrs. JonboyE's list of things to do in life.

My task is to monitor the temperature of the beer served by the concessions. I think to do my job properly I will have to test it several times during the event. If the temperature is not perfect I will send a strongly worded letter to the British press.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We're off to the figure skating this afternoon. Another tick on Mrs. JonboyE's list of things to do in life.

My task is to monitor the temperature of the beer served by the concessions. I think to do my job properly I will have to test it several times during the event. If the temperature is not perfect I will send a strongly worded letter to the British press.
The press is likely out at the airport jeering safe landings.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy!

Just a quick beer-related note to anyone seeing anything at the Vancouver Olympic Center by QE park: In the venue you have a (choice) of Molson or Coors Light.

However, before you pass through the gates, you do have the option of wandering up to the end of the block and paying a dollar to get into the Curling Club, where you can pick up reasonably priced ale at the club bar.

Cheers, Iain
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Grey Cup, is it? They won something twice leading to a car horn being sounded in the street. By contrast, when Greece won Euro NNNN the streets were jammed with people dancing and waving flags late into the night. Football is the big game here (or there since I'm sitting in Guelph).
The growth of Football in Toronto has really hit me since returning. In 2004/2005 there was a handful of places that advertised Premiership Soccer that I found.

In just one month I can now comfortably count over 10 bars and that is just exploring Queen & Pape and The Danforth.

I also have lots of Canadian freind's who bang on about Toronto FC and how I have to go to a game.

Back to the subject of The Games I think it is great the people in Vancouver are getting involved and enjoying it- they can't avoid it so that is definately the best way.

Criticism of the Couldron is harsh as the games is really about the events. I think the biggest let down is the cancellations which definately demonstrates a clear lack of Plan B. You wait years to watch something- probably bust a gut to get tickets and then someone forgot that it doesn't snow every winter.

Personally I can't see this problem in London, Yes it might rain but all that will effect is a few times in track and field. The transport system can cope with major events already and the tube network is going through major improvements and overhaul to increase it's capacity anyway.

The two biggest concerns for London will be security and a repeat of that disastrous torch handover in Beijing which made everyone in Britain laugh and cringe. Definately no media was harsher on that than our own.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Schadenfreude (sp?)
But why?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bsmith
"Piss off Brits," concludes a furious email typical of the Guardian's Vancouver Olympics mailbag, "and stop producing so many ugly women."

Charmed I'm sure.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

dats my fave. although I am now a recent convert to the snowboarding...

Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:52 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by el_richo
But why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.